Flashing question mark on macbook screen

Reaction score
I have a late 2007 macbook. I was browsing in firefox today and I started getting the spinning rainbow wheel and the computer wouldn't respond for about 10 seconds while the rainbow wheel was up, then it would respond for like 3 seconds, then again with the wheel, no response. It did this a few times and I could hear the hard drive make some noise during the 3 second response periods. It wasn't a strange noise, just sounded like the hard drive would stop working while the computer wasn't responding and then start again while it was. So I held the power button, computer turned off, I turned it back on, all it shows is a gray screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark in it. my usb ports still work, at least they will still charge my phone.

If I hold alt option key down I get a mouse cursor that I can move around but thats all. anything else I can try?

I found this: A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

If you see a flashing question mark when you start your Mac, it's probably because it can't find the system software it needs to start up. Usually, all you have to do to get your Mac back up and running is remind it where its software is.

I assume it can't find the system software cause the hard drive is broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I have a late 2007 macbook. I was browsing in firefox today and I started getting the spinning rainbow wheel and the computer wouldn't respond for about 10 seconds while the rainbow wheel was up, then it would respond for like 3 seconds, then again with the wheel, no response. It did this a few times and I could hear the hard drive make some noise during the 3 second response periods. It wasn't a strange noise, just sounded like the hard drive would stop working while the computer wasn't responding and then start again while it was. So I held the power button, computer turned off, I turned it back on, all it shows is a gray screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark in it. my usb ports still work, at least they will still charge my phone.

If I hold alt option key down I get a mouse cursor that I can move around but thats all. anything else I can try?

I found this: A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

I assume it can't find the system software cause the hard drive is broken.

It does sounds like your Hard Drive has died. Hopefully you had everything backed up.

OP
G
Reaction score
It does sounds like your Hard Drive has died. Hopefully you had everything backed up.

I didn't since this is my secondary computer, I wanted to but I'd have to get an external drive since the one I have is set up for windows file system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.