• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I need advice on netbook purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I am looking for a netbook in the range of 150-230(max). Anyone know of the a reliable one? I've been looking at some, asus models, lenovo, eeepc, and such, but I'm not sure which one is the best. I am buying one for my cousin who needs one for school, who is going oversees. It's mainly going to be used to transfer data, and small things dealing with internet projects. Her laptop is the main computer, and want's this to be the main computer that is used between school and work projects. Any help will be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
My advice don't get one, I made the mistake a while back getting one. I can't narrow it down to one thing, you know how the saying goes you get what you pay for? Well for $150-$230 your getting what you paid for.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In that price range it's a bit harder. I would just say stay away from Acer. I have one and have had many issues. With each issue I have searched on google and found 100's if not thousands with the same issues.

I totally love the Lenovo ideapad but I have never seen one in that price range you listed. Asus seem to have excellent reliability. Was looking at an Asus to replace this Acer and was impressed for the low price of their basic netbook. If you could up the price range a bit I have many friends with the Lenovo and never one issue and I love the keyboard.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Keep in mind that this will mostly be used as a device that is worth the price that was paid for it. There is no circumventing the situation, it's going to be a netbook at this price range for sure! 250 might be doable.

As for the lenovo, I pretty much assumed that they were tough and reliable, and I did manage to find a decent one on ebay! I believe it's down between asus, and lenovo, but even with those, there are so many models to chose from! Thanks for the acer warning! Heading out to best buy and some other places to test some out.

I'm eyeballing an Lenovo IdeaPad S10e. Seems pretty good in all the important areas!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a couple of friends that have ASUS netbooks (can't say for sure what model they are) and they are very happy with them. ASUS seems to do a good job of bundling in useful software and rolling out regular driver and BIOS updates.

If I were to buy another PC notebook, that would be the direction I'd lean (I think).

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have narrowed it down to these two netbooks:

Asus EeePC900HD Netbook Black 512MB 160GB XP WEBCAM 8.9 - eBay (item 360269552981 end time Jun-08-10 08:13:41 PDT)
and
*NEW* Lenovo IdeaPad S10e Netbook 4187RXU 10" / 1GB RAM - eBay (item 300434129403 end time Jun-08-10 15:08:34 PDT)

The Asus is cheap, but I don't know if it has a problem. The lenovo is more, but it's new and it's a lenovo. I think I'm leaning towards the lenovo. What do you think?

Not too sure on Lenovo yet. We're starting to get some of them at work and they don't look half bad. On the reliability charts, ASUS has been scoring pretty well (not even sure how Lenovo ranks).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I like both machines BUT (And I hope this does not step on anyones toes and make anyone angry), I would go for the Lenovo. I have used many of them. I have close friends who own them and they all feel the same way I do. Very high quality. I love using their Lenovo netbooks more than any other I have had the chance to mess with.

Just to be clear though, I don't have much ON HANDS experience with the Asus Netbooks but have read many good things about the quality of Asus Netbooks or even Notebooks for that matter.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks for the tips. I relayed this thread to her, as well as the two links, so she knows what's going on:) Say hi!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Get the Asus... (eee pc) - they statistically break over 3 years less often than any other brand, followed by toshiba, sony, and apple.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We went with the lenovo. The specs are better, and the reviews all seem really good. Now I gotta play the waiting game…what a chore…stupid me drank this powerful energy drink…can't sleep…got a new iphone on my mind too….hmmmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was it a NOS? That stuff is my fuel almost every day haha.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No, it's actually called,
"Rip It
Energy Fuel
F-Bomb"
just found out that it has 2020mg of taurine, and 210mg of caffeine per drink.
I need to buy some more! Tastes REALLY good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's awesome. NOS has 250mg per can of caffeine + all the other goodies. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's actually called,
"Rip It
Energy Fuel
F-Bomb"
just found out that it has 2020mg of taurine, and 210mg of caffeine per drink.
I need to buy some more! Tastes REALLY good!

Hope you've got a strong heart.

Did you see Woot.com yesterday, BTW? They had an ASUS netbook for $199 +$5 shipping. I was thinking about you when I saw it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I have a couple of friends that have ASUS netbooks (can't say for sure what model they are) and they are very happy with them. ASUS seems to do a good job of bundling in useful software and rolling out regular driver and BIOS updates.

If I were to buy another PC notebook, that would be the direction I'd lean (I think).
I have an Asus Eee PC 1005HA and I LOVE it.

Reaction score
i would choose the Asus; when they say the battery lasts for more than 10 hours, it actually does. plus the reliability and the software. lenovo's ideapad looks good, too, but i'd still go Asus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.