my Firefox gets stack all time

Reaction score
HELPP!!!

I have a macbook pro and i think i got a virus. There is a one going around facebook on videos. I clicked on it but supposedly macs do not get virus it shouldn't be affected. Now i realise that my Firefox gets stack all time, something that never happened before. The same happens with Safari and youtube too!!!
They told me that this new virus affects macs too because another mac user is also affected by it (her mac does not open!)
Please HELPPP. do i have a virus? how can i remove it????? :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There are no viruses on Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
That's right no Mac virus. If there was it would lead the nightly news. And be on the front page of every newspaper.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are so many Windows viruses floating around Facebook, any time someone has a problem with their computer it's immediately blamed on a virus.

To reiterate Eric559, there are no viruses that can function in OS X at this time.

There are a couple of Trojans. They will only run in OS X if you downloaded, and entered your admin password when you installed it. Didn't do that, you don't have one of those either.

You would be better off starting over, calm down, take a breath and stating whatever problem you may be having, plainly, along with what Mac you have and which version OS X you are using in order to get some help troubleshooting.

Reaction score
As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X does not get viruses.

And if anything, no matter what computer (Windows machine or Apple), you should ALWAYS have anti-virus software (which can also detect trojans and other malicious software). Now, all we need is:

What version of Mac OS X are you using?
We know you have a MacBook Pro, but which one?
And if anything here, do you have av software? If you do, run a full and complete scan.

Though (as far as I know) that there are a few trojans, if anything you would've had to execute something for a trojan to start. If Safari and/or FireFox refuses to work, more than likely you just need to clear your cookies, though, someone here who has better knowledge in web browsing will clear that one up and correct me. Don't you worry, you are in good hands on this forum, and there is no need to be freaking out. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X does not get viruses.

This implies that the OS is impervious to viruses. Just to clarify, there are currently no viruses (by the strictest of definitions) for OS X. That doesn't mean that there never will be - eventually someone will come along with a true virus, it's only a matter of time.

At the moment, there are a couple of trojans, associated with a video player/codec. One must implicitly install these programs in order to be effected. The symptoms of such an installation (I'm loathe to use the term "infection", because it's intentionally inflicted) are being redirected to other websites other than the ones you intend to go to.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

And if anything, no matter what computer (Windows machine or Apple), you should ALWAYS have anti-virus software (which can also detect trojans and other malicious software). Now, all we need is:

I would disagree with that statement, as I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.

Reaction score
I would disagree with that statement. As I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.

I guess you have a point, but I stated that as an "in case" thing. Like in case something new pops up in the wild. Are you saying that the majority of Mac OS X av apps scan for Windows stuff? That makes no sense! :Shouting: ;D

@cwa

"This implies that the OS is impervious to viruses. Just to clarify, there are currently no viruses (by the strictest of definitions) for OS X. That doesn't mean that there never will be - eventually someone will come along with a true virus, it's only a matter of time."

That I knew. There could be one day, but at the present moment, well...that's why I stated that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you have a point, but I stated that as an "in case" thing. Like in case something new pops up in the wild. Are you saying that the majority of Mac OS X av apps scan for Windows? That makes no sense! :Shouting: ;D

That is correct. Since there are no viruses in the wild, the definition file updates you receive, contain signatures of the latest Windows-based malware. And for the privilege of being able to detect Windows-only nasties, you get to pay companies like Intego $70+ per year. Because, you see, when you purchase their product, you are buying an annual subscription for that dubious benefit.

Reaction score
That is correct. Since there are no viruses in the wild, the definition file updates you receive, contain signatures of the latest Windows-based malware. And for the privilege of being able to detect Windows-only nasties, you get to pay companies like Intego $70+ per year. Because, you see, when you purchase their product, you are buying an annual subscription for that dubious benefit.

What about Symantec for Mac? (Basically a higher end version of Norton AV for Mac). This grinds my teeth, I mean, why create it if it's just going to scan for Windows malware? :Shouting: :Grimmace: :Sleeping:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about Symantec for Mac? (Basically a higher end version of Norton AV for Mac). This grinds my teeth, I mean, why create it if it's just going to scan for Windows malware? :Shouting: :Grimmace: :Sleeping:

Anti-Virus products work in two ways. A good AV product will employ some form of 'heuristics', basically using artificial intelligence to try to detect virus-like activity. Heuristic analysis, more often than not, produces more false positives and system slowness than actually catching anything. So, most AV vendors put more emphasis on scanning for "signatures" of known viruses. This is the reason nearly all AV products are paid for on a subscription basis, because those signature databases need to be constantly updated as new viruses are released in order to be effective.

So, if a company is selling you a subscription to their product (as Symantec does), then the product's main selling feature is its frequently updated signatures database. Since there's no known OS X viruses, what else could those files contain when the updates arrive?

Why create such a product? Well, it's not exactly good business practice to not offer a product to a large segment of the market you cater to. This is precisely why every time there is a Mac OS X security hole or a trojan, companies like Symantec and Intego are the first to sensationalize the story - even when there are no exploits in the wild, or the trojan is confined to a lab environment. Simply put, they prey on fear and ignorance. The sheep must be kept in the pen!

Reaction score
Anti-Virus products work in two ways. A good AV product will employ some form of 'heuristics', basically using artificial intelligence to try to detect virus-like activity. Heuristic analysis, more often than not, produces more false positives and system slowness than actually catching anything. So, most AV vendors put more emphasis on scanning for "signatures" of known viruses. This is the reason nearly all AV products are paid for on a subscription basis, because those signature databases need to be constantly updated as new viruses are released in order to be effective.

So, if a company is selling you a subscription to their product (as Symantec does), then the product's main selling feature is its frequently updated signatures database. Since there's no known OS X viruses, what else could those files contain when the updates arrive?

Why create such a product? Well, it's not exactly good business practice to not offer a product to a large segment of the market you cater to. This is precisely why every time there is a Mac OS X security hole or a trojan, companies like Symantec and Intego are the first to sensationalize the story - even when there are no exploits in the wild, or the trojan is confined to a lab environment. Simply put, they prey on fear and ignorance. The sheep must be kept in the pen!

Well..ick. I haven't ran the AV on my Power Mac in about a month.

Reaction score
Okay, re edit here.

As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X has no viruses. (But that doesn't mean there never will be)

Now, all we need is:

What version of Mac OS X are you using?
We know you have a MacBook Pro, but which one?

Though (as far as I know) that there are a few trojans, if anything you would've had to execute something for a trojan to start. If Safari and/or FireFox refuses to work, more than likely you just need to clear your cookies, though, someone here who has better knowledge in web browsing will clear that one up and correct me.

Don't you worry, you are in good hands on this forum ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I would disagree with that statement, as I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.

Agreed, I have yet to see the situation in OSX where running an anti-virus program didn't create more problems that it solved.

As for protecting my Windows friends, well, they need to run anti-virus software, not me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

What else would it scan for? If there are no viruses for OS X, then it can't very well receive fingerprints for them, and definitely can't scan for them, eh?

OP
N
Reaction score
oh thank you soooo much!
I'm so glad it's not a virus. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8. The problem is that both Firefox and Safari "are not responding" all the time and I have to force quit. It never happened before. I know it is no big deal but I thought that it probably has to do with the virus thing on facebook.
About the cookies you said, how do I clear them? Also, I do not have an av program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Safari Menu > Reset Safari... check Remove all cookies

Firefox Menu > Preferences > Privacy > Show Cookies > Remove All Cookies

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new here and new to Macs in general, so bear with me! I understand my OS 10.4.11 isn't susceptible to viruses, but if I'm using MS Office 2004, does that make a difference? (or is that a dumb question?!)

I'm asking 'cuz the last couple days, shortly after I go online, the download box appears out of nowhere, asking if I want to download something I don't recognize (and didn't request), so I thought maybe I 'picked up' some bug! Everything seems to be running fine, so I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I miss 'tinkering' around like I used to have to do with my ex-PC! Just FYI, one box said "1.ecaytrader.net"; the other was "4.primerack.net", which just struck me as odd . . . (and yes, I always cancel the download box!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.