1st Gen IOS question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.0 Ghz C2D 4G Ram
Hi folks,
I travel for a living, and am looking to get a used 1st gen iPad (64Gig with 3G) to carry with me. Will I be able to use the latest IOS and get iCloud or will I need to get at least an iPad2? (would love a new iPad, but that's not going to happen anytime soon) Budget says the used 1st gen, not if I can't use the latest IOS however.

Also, I'm not too worried about the 3G, I 'only' need connectivity at home or at hotels, not while I'm on the road or at work, but if the 3g Dongle comes included with it (presuming this is a verizon refurb/return unit), I'll keep the hot spot and just not turn it on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi folks,
I travel for a living, and am looking to get a used 1st gen iPad (64Gig with 3G) to carry with me. Will I be able to use the latest IOS and get iCloud or will I need to get at least an iPad2? (would love a new iPad, but that's not going to happen anytime soon) Budget says the used 1st gen, not if I can't use the latest IOS however.

From the online Apple Store:

- A 1st gen. iPad 64gig + 3G will cost you $549.
- A 2nd gen. iPad 32gig + 3G will cost you $529.

So unless you absolutely NEED 64gig of storage...I would go with the 32gig + 3G iPad2.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Of course if you're talking a used iPad (1st or 2nd gen.) from e-Bay or Craig's List...you may be able to save some $$$ versus the prices I listed above.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.0 Ghz C2D 4G Ram
From the online Apple Store:

- A 1st gen. iPad 64gig + 3G will cost you $549.
- A 2nd gen. iPad 32gig + 3G will cost you $529.

So unless you absolutely NEED 64gig of storage...I would go with the 32gig + 3G iPad2.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Of course if you're talking a used iPad (1st or 2nd gen.) from e-Bay or Craig's List...you may be able to save some $$$ versus the prices I listed above.
Thanks Nick,
I'm looking at a refurb from a reseller, so I'm looking at about 1/2 of those prices for the 1st gen 64G. also I'm a photographer, and plan on using this as a mobile portfolio (zenfolio, etc...) as well as typical travel internet usage... email, surfing etc...

currently I carry a cheap windoze laptop and an ipod touch, but most nights I just squint at the ipod so I'm looking at the ipad so I can upgrade and streamline what I haul around with me.

I would Love to get a 32G new Ipad of course ( who wouldn't?) will have to earn that one (opening my own studio soon, and will take that out of profits down the road).

Looks like you are OK

iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit, as pigoo says, consider the ipad 2

I'll consider an ipad2 of course. I'm mainly looking at the higher memory ipad1 because of image storage.

the 3G aspect is immaterial, where I use it most, I have wifi available.

also I just realized this should be over in the IOS section, not hardware... can admin move the thread?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
the 3G aspect is immaterial, where I use it most, I have wifi available.

If 3G is immaterial...why the heck did you mention it in your original posting (BEFORE you edited it)??:Confused:

The prices I quoted above were for iPads with 3G...because I thought it was a "must have" for you! Without 3G...iPad prices will be lower.:) There's usually about a $130 upcharge for the 3G capabilities.

Personally I would only buy a refurbished iPad from Apple...but if you're ok with the reseller you're looking at...go for it.:) Just remember..."refurbished" from Apple will be like brand new (new battery, 12 month Apple warranty, and cosmetically like new). I'm not sure other resellers offer this.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I can verify that at least as of today, the original iPad runs the latest version of iOS and works beautifully with iCloud.

Whether it will be able to run iOS 6 (whenever that comes out) is another question, but iCloud and iOS 5 are a lock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.