• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Fear of the command line ;)

At least for me.

Over-reliance on the command line. Converted DOS and Unix geeks turn to the command line because they don't understand and won't learn the rich features and utilities that the Mac interface provides.

The CL is a great tool for power users, but no n00b should ever be told, "Oh just enter
[font=Monaco, "Lucida Console", Courier, "Courier New"]sudo doeverythingbymagic -r -a -gXr256 ~/*.c[/font]
and all your problems will go away."

That sort of advice may fix immediate problems, but it doesn't promote understanding. It's a geek's way of thinking: do this and go away; don't try to visualize or learn, because I'm too busy to teach you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Over-reliance on the command line. Converted DOS and Unix geeks turn to the command line because they don't understand and won't learn the rich features and utilities that the Mac interface provides.

The CL is a great tool for power users, but no n00b should ever be told, "Oh just enter
[font=Monaco, "Lucida Console", Courier, "Courier New"]sudo doeverythingbymagic -r -a -gXr256 ~/*.c[/font]
and all your problems will go away."

That sort of advice may fix immediate problems, but it doesn't promote understanding. It's a geek's way of thinking: do this and go away; don't try to visualize or learn, because I'm too busy to teach you.

None of this justifies fear of a tool. Especially when it results in installing countless GUI tools that simply suck up space and do the same job, sometimes poorly at that. No one should issue commands they do not understand, this goes without saying, but there is no need to FEAR the $.

BTW, hardly a *nix 'convert'. Having a fine arts education that includes imaging and digital arts, I've been using these things since the quadra series ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It might help if you had an avatar, it would sort of give a "face" to a name. I can tell you that I remembered a lot of people through their avatar. Eric has the Bucky avatars, CWA had the cookie monster when I first joined, Schweb had the square chicken, MHC had the Lily Tomlin thing, and so on and so forth.

Yeah that's true. I hate when someone changes their avatar because then I have to recognize a whole new avatar.

Kash to me is that little guy with the funky background. That's who I think Kash really is haha.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is the main reason I have kept this same Avatar of my iBook with my cat on the desktop. People know me by that and one time in the past I changed and freaked everyone out so went back to what people know me by. I tend to find users by their Avatar's a lot of the time! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
It might help if you had an avatar, it would sort of give a "face" to a name. I can tell you that I remembered a lot of people through their avatar. Eric has the Bucky avatars, CWA had the cookie monster when I first joined, Schweb had the square chicken, MHC had the Lily Tomlin thing, and so on and so forth.

There we go..Let's see if that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Fear of the command line ;)

At least for me.

cd ~/home
mkdir lose_your_fear
echo lose your fear here
tr fear
uuencode no fear
defaults write com.apple.fear PreferNoFear -bool True

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Things that bug the heck out of me is when I'm selling something and I get multiple PM's from people that are interested and are wanting to purchase the item I'm selling. When I respond they disappear.

I also hate it when people will say they are going to buy something and then they won't respond to pms or come back to purchase the item. What's up with that!?

I also have a gripe when people make an offer on something and I confirm it or make a counter offer and then they don't get back to me, so I'm left hanging there wondering what's up with the offer, and they don't respond. That's the whole point of negotiating... I guess some people don't get it.

I also don't like it when people don't search for their answers, or search for things that have been asked many times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I don't like it when people post for the sake of posting. I mean, even if the problem has been solved, they'll post their own solution or something. I guess that's my biggest one that hasn't already been mentioned.

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I don't like it when people post for the sake of posting. I mean, even if the problem has been solved, they'll post their own solution or something. I guess that's my biggest one that hasn't already been mentioned.

We get a lot of that around here. When I was a noob to the site I kinda did that sometimes. I wanted a post count.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We get a lot of that around here. When I was a noob to the site I kinda did that sometimes. I wanted a post count.

Post count means absolutely nothing here. We've implemented a reputation system to stress that we care far more about the quality of a member's posts than the quantity of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Post count means absolutely nothing here. We've implemented a reputation system to stress that we care far more about the quality of a member's posts than the quantity of them.

A post number is just a number. Doesnt mean that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple lle 64 kb RAM
People on the forums with a thousand plus posts complaining about noobs that don't spell Mac correctly or other petty childish things as such, ad that to my rep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
People on the forums with a thousand plus posts complaining about noobs that don't spell Mac correctly or other petty childish things as such, ad that to my rep.

Nice avatar. Haha.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A post number is just a number. Doesnt mean that much.

Absolutely. You can train a chimp to generate posts. It's hard to find helpful, friendly and courteous members with a sense of community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody

Sorry, but get used to it. If you look a few posts back even the Mods find it annoying when people spell it wrong.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Spambots.
There are a few semi intelligent ones out there now. And they ick me to no end.

And another thing.
Devs who give their apps stupid version numbers like 1.4.5.6.7.5.4 or 2.34546.5634
It's like why do something like that. It makes no sense.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but get used to it. If you look a few posts back even the Mods find it annoying when people spell it wrong.

Only the anal retentive ones ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I just saw one of my biggest pet peeves. When people post in a topic that is over a year old!!! This one is 2 1/2 years old!! Gah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Annoying threads that complain about what we hate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just saw one of my biggest pet peeves. When people post in a topic that is over a year old!!! This one is 2 1/2 years old!! Gah!

Yea, that annoys me a bit too, especially when the latest post is offering advice to the OP. Yea, like I'm sure the guy's problem hasn't been solved in the two years since he posted. What's funny is that it's always the new members who tend to do this

Speaking of post counts, I'm about to hit 6,000 :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.