Cleaning the MacBook

Reaction score
I was just wondering what people used to clean the surface of their MacBooks and what they used on the screens. Mine is a black MacBook so it really shows thoes finger prints and it seems just wiping with a towel isn't proving sufficient. Any advice is greatly appreciated.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
Brasso liquid applied with a Micro Fibre cloth, followed by Zymol Titanium Auto Wax.

This was on the outer case of my White Macbook. YMMV.

OP
C
Reaction score
Brasso liquid applied with a Micro Fibre cloth, followed by Zymol Titanium Auto Wax.

This was on the outer case of my White Macbook. YMMV.

Isn't Brasso liquid a metal polish? That wont harm the plastic? And are you serious about the auto wax?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
a damp micro fiber cloth would do the job for finger prints and greasy hands, if you have stains Mr clean magic eraser would take care of that.
Warm water, Microfiber cloth, and a Mr clean majic eraser.

Thats all what u need no need to spend money on fancy stuff

OP
C
Reaction score
a damp micro fiber cloth would do the job for finger prints and greasy hands, if you have stains Mr clean magic eraser would take care of that.
Warm water, Microfiber cloth, and a Mr clean majic eraser.

Thats all what u need no need to spend money on fancy stuff

I assume I can use the microfiber coth and warm water on the screen as well? Greatly apreciate the tip, I knew there had to be an easy way. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume I can use the microfiber coth and warm water on the screen as well? Greatly apreciate the tip, I knew there had to be an easy way. :headphone

Yes thats exactly what i do, it is safe on the screen, the key is u want a damp cloth not a dripping wet cloth.

Also when you purchase the microfiber cloth you can find them in 2 sections
at the household cleaning section in a grocery store for example or in an automotive section in walmart or you local autozone.........

The reason i bring this up is that the ones at a grocery store household cleaning section are usualy good to go where as the ones at an automotive section/store sometimes have some wax in them so you will have to pre wash the cloth otherwise once the cloth is dampened the wax in it will leave some greasy heavy streaks on the computer(nothing alarmning could be wiped of).

To wash the cloth just hand wash it with soap or tide ring it properly and dry it then u are good to go. If u dry it in your dryer which is not a problem dont throw in a downy or a bounce sheet(you know one of those fabrics that are scented again the microfiber cloth will absorb alot of that scent or whatever substance is in those sheets and will leave streaks on ur computer....i know because it happened to me).

sorry for the long post ......hope it helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I wet the microfiber and it was soaking wet. Now, on my MB screen, there are little droplet marks... how can I take them out? I think I over did it with the water... Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
use a damp cloth, not dripping. Just wet the cloth again, and wipe it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dampen the cloth again and wipe the dry drops of your screen, if that doesnt help try to use Mr. clean magic eraser gently on ur screen

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
I used the Brasso liquid to get rid of a lot of the hairline scratches and swirls on the outer case... It works very very well at this, with only the deeper scratches remaining.

The Zymol auto wax is natural with no petrochemicals, so I figured it'd be fine. It provides an effective barrier on the case and I've found it hasn't gained any more swirls after applying it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
cd cleaning wipes :)
or baby wipes :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I just use a damp "J Cloth" on the screen and keyboard it always works fine and does not leave smears on the screen. "J Cloths" are available in most supermarkets here in the UK, not sure if you can get these all over the world though.
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
My MacBook screen needs cleaning as well. I'm afraid to use Brasso, because of the horror stories I've heard. I would use a very light damp microfiber towel to do so. If you have hairline scratches, I would try using some plastic polish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.