help reinstalling mac osx on my imac

Reaction score
allright, so here's the deal. i got a new imac, and decided to install windows 7 in another partition so i could play games. bad idea for me. something went wrong somewhere, and my mac osx partition ended up being corrupt or something while the newly installed windows one was fine. not sure how it happened, lol. half the time when i would pick my mac osx partition, it would work, and half the time, it wouldn't even start. eventually it irritated me so much that I backed up everything, and then i deleted the entire partition using my friends mac osx repair cd... but i wasn't able to install mac osx because the cd was the one that came with HIS mac unfortionately... lol

so, i ended up ordering a copy of my repair cds from apple (i had lost mine), and now that they are here, i tried firing them up. holding down Option brings up my Windows partition, and the repair cd, but every time I click the repair cd, it just boots into windows instead. I've tried resetting the PRAM, but not the other thing (where you unplug your mac for a bit), i think i'll try that next, although I don't think it will make a difference. was deleting/formatting my non-working macosx partition with my friends repair disc a bad idea? i hope to god that's not the reason my own repair disc won't properly boot now.... what should I do? I've also tried holding down C when I boot, which just brings me to a screen to choose an OS to start from (with of course Windows 7 being the only one).

any ideas?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You need an OS disk, not sure what the repair CD is you are referring to. Once you have it you boot from it and then use disk utility to reformat your drive and reinstall the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Not a real positive thought, but did you install Windows 7 through Boot Camp or did you just set up another partition and try to install Windows 7 to it from a Windows install disk? If the later is the case, Windows is notorious for modifying the mbr and creating its own hidden partition which prevents other OS's from booting.

OP
B
Reaction score
Not a real positive thought, but did you install Windows 7 through Boot Camp or did you just set up another partition and try to install Windows 7 to it from a Windows install disk? If the later is the case, Windows is notorious for modifying the mbr and creating its own hidden partition which prevents other OS's from booting.

I created a new partition and installed through a windows install disk, and then I used bootcamp to install the drivers but got an error. However Windows pretty much worked fine (i'm using it now to post)... but yeah it has seemed to killed my Mac. And when I try to boot into the Mac OSX Install DVD, it always loads Windows 7 instead. The Mac OSX DVD for some reason shows up as "EFI Boot".... is there any reason for this? Is it because it's a replacement I ordered from Apple?

Thank you very much for the reply though.... I'm kind of desperate. All I want to do is just wipe the whole computer and put OSX back on it, but I can't even seem to do that. I have all my stuff backed up, so I have nothing to loose, besides the insanity this is causing me. lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I created a new partition and installed through a windows install disk, and then I used bootcamp to install the drivers but got an error. However Windows pretty much worked fine (i'm using it now to post)... but yeah it has seemed to killed my Mac. And when I try to boot into the Mac OSX Install DVD, it always loads Windows 7 instead. The Mac OSX DVD for some reason shows up as "EFI Boot".... is there any reason for this? Is it because it's a replacement I ordered from Apple?

Thank you very much for the reply though.... I'm kind of desperate. All I want to do is just wipe the whole computer and put OSX back on it, but I can't even seem to do that. I have all my stuff backed up, so I have nothing to loose, besides the insanity this is causing me. lol

As a last resort you could always install a new HD so it isn't hopeless. We have some sharp tech guys here and I'm pretty sure one of them can help.

OP
B
Reaction score
As a last resort you could always install a new HD so it isn't hopeless. We have some sharp tech guys here and I'm pretty sure one of them can help.

very true. this imac was expensive and it's pretty much new so i'd probably do that if it came to it. but its so strange because usually the "last resort" is supposed to be wiping your hard drive and loosing your data... and yet I can't even do that! haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about this - boot from the Windows Install CD. I am pretty sure there is an option to go to utilities. Delete all partitions on the drive, but do not install Windows or do any formatting. Then boot from the OS disk and install it. I think that should work. Hopefully some Mac experts can chime in here as well.

OP
B
Reaction score
How about this - boot from the Windows Install CD. I am pretty sure there is an option to go to utilities. Delete all partitions on the drive, but do not install Windows or do any formatting. Then boot from the OS disk and install it. I think that should work. Hopefully some Mac experts can chime in here as well.

OK, I think I will try that. When I delete the partitions, is there like a certain format they (or I guess "it") should be in already? In case I have changed them or something somewhere I just would want to make sure I have them in the correct format for Mac OSX when I delete everything.

And I think I'll try this after a while, but I'll wait first to see if any other users reply with another suggestion. I'm afraid now of installing/removing any OS from this computer because I can't seem to ever reverse anything I do.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't get any help in the next day or so I'll try PMing a couple of the guys on your behalf to see if they have any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the disk is empty, I think the install will prompt you for a partition scheme and will format the partition you choose for the install correctly. If you do have to choose a type it is Mac OS Extended journaled.

There must be some more knowledgeable people out there that could lend a hand?

OP
B
Reaction score
If you don't get any help in the next day or so I'll try PMing a couple of the guys on your behalf to see if they have any ideas.

Thank you very much, that would be greatly appreciated at this point. Apple is trying to get me to pay 50 bucks just to talk to me when I called them today. Wow.. I just hung up on them.

Anyways..

So I was able to erase all partitions and wipe everything clean on my iMac's hard drive booting from my Windows Install DVD. But now when I select the OS X Installation CD from the boot menu (which still comes up as "EFI Boot" for some reason), it just goes to a black screen with a white flashing cursor.

Also, when I run verbose mode (by hitting command + v when I boot), I get this error:

TS3676-mbp_early2011-verbose_mode-001-en.png

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3676

So... according to the apple website.. does that mean the replacement disks they sent me are not the correct version of OS X? How do I know what version to use? I gave them my serial number so supposedly these are the disks for MY iMac...

And I know my iMac can boot from other DVD's, so the drive seems to be working...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM sent
Hopefully the cavalry is on the way . . . ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Did the computer have Lion preinstalled? If so, are you able to get into the recovery partition by holding the Command-R keys at boot up? You may be able to launch Disk Utility, repartition the drive, and download and reinstall Lion from that.

Setting up a Windows partition is best done through the Boot Camp Assistant in the Utilities folder. Manually creating a partition just doesn't work as well.

OP
B
Reaction score
Did the computer have Lion preinstalled? If so, are you able to get into the recovery partition by holding the Command-R keys at boot up? You may be able to launch Disk Utility, repartition the drive, and download and reinstall Lion from that.

Setting up a Windows partition is best done through the Boot Camp Assistant in the Utilities folder. Manually creating a partition just doesn't work as well.

Hey, no it did not have Lion preinstalled, it had OS X 10.6.4.

I've also tried installing Linux from a USB, which brought me to a screen to choose to install it, but then after I select to install, gives me a blank screen.

DiskWarrior on a USB doesn't work either. I select it, and absolutely nothing happens. Just like those restore disks. I've told Apple they may have sent me the wrong Restore DVD replacements (to which they responded that they did not), and I made them send them again for free. Basically I'll try that, and then if that doesn't work I'm going to try Lion on a USB and see if that works, but if it doesn't, then...... well ****. I will probably make a trip to the Apple store, and then NEVER INSTALL WINDOWS 7 AGAIN. or in fact try to partition or do any sort of thing like that. I thought I was tech-savy, but I'm apparently in way over my head here. I don't mind loosing data. But if I can't even install an OS on my computer which is blank at the moment... this is insane. I must have some sort of weird unique problem I created on my iMac. Seems like a completely blank hard drive should be more than accepting of an OS but I guess not. I just can't get the **** thing to boot anything.

Anyways, I'll post back to let you guys know what happens. Could be of help to someone else in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in your Snow Leopard install disc, reboot and go to Utilities > Disk utility and erase the entire drive and install Snow Leopard. Update to OS X.6.8 then use Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities to do your Windows 7 install. For someone not very conversant with a Mac, suggest you print off the Instruction Manual first and follow that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Pop in your Snow Leopard install disc, reboot and go to Utilities > Disk utility and erase the entire drive and install Snow Leopard. Update to OS X.6.8 then use Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities to do your Windows 7 install. For someone not very conversant with a Mac, suggest you print off the Instruction Manual first and follow that.

Did you read the first post of the topic? My optical drive won't boot from my Snow Leopard restore DVD for some reason, it just hangs forever. Windows still worked, so I used my Windows 7 Install DVD to erase the hard drive after I had messed everything up. So now it's completely blank. But the OS X restore DVD will still not boot, even through USB. The kernel panic I get by using Verbose Mode when booting from the restore disks leads me to think my DVD isn't above OS X 10.5.4, which is what I am assuming I need since my computer came with that version. The replacement disks I have don't list the version of OSX they have in them. I checked with Apple, and they said they'd send me another set, but that the set I already have should be correct. For some reason, my Mac just won't accept running an OS X Installation disc. Are you familiar with EFI Boot or whatever that means? Because when I use my OS X DVD, it always shows up with the label "EFI Boot". That could be a sign or something maybe? I have no idea. I'm most likely going to end up going two hours to the Apple Store. I feel like I messed up some software or something in the iMac, because the hardware *should* be fine (DVD Drive worked perfect in Windows 7), this just all started when I started messing around with a Windows 7 installation and formatting the Hard drive, partitions, etc.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is just a wild stab, but nothing else seems to have worked.

Are you using a wireless keyboard?
If so, and you have access to a wired keyboard, plug that into your iMac and then try the boot from DVD thing. Again, don't know if it will work, but don't see how it could possibly hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So you only tried to boot from the OSX CD by holding down option, not so sure that's going to work.

Try restarting your computer and immediately press and hold the c key. The computer will look for a bootable CD or DVD and, if it finds one, will use it as its startup device.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I fixed the computer. For some reason the ONLY thing that would boot was a Lion OS X Install from USB that I made from the App Store's .dmg file. No ****ing idea why the Restore DVD didn't work, although that was all until TODAY dun dun dun..... when I got the "replacement-replacement" Restore DVD.

I didn't need to try it, but the number on the DVD is different. Hmm. yeah ..... the Apple rep on the phone told me, after having read to him the numbers on my old DVD, that they had sent me the correct version the first time. he kept trying to convince me that they didn't need to send another set for free. What a load, they were trying sooo hard to get me to pay for a new drive. But this new disc works perfectly. I understand sending the wrong disc... but then having me read off to you the disk I have, and you telling me it's the right one? Man. I hope it's just on account of incompetence rather than manning up and saying you sent the wrong disc. Anyways, enough on that rant. Moral of the story is.... to whoever may Google this thread one day... is DON'T loose your original Restore DVDs.... DON'T mess around with partitions and Windows 7 unless you know what you are doing.... and if you order replacement Restore DVDs and they don't work... make sure they don't **** up and send you the wrong discs. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I don't want to talk about hard drives, dvds, or operating systems again for a very very long time.

thank you all so much for your help with me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.