Color Wheel : I hate it

Reaction score
I can't stand the spinning color wheel that comes up when my computer is running slow or the internet server isn't changing the pages that I am surfing promptly.

It just frustrates me, a personal preference to get rid of it I suppose. Could someone please help me destroy it or maybe gently replace it with another image?

(better internet service is not an option, the color wheel must be gone forever)

Please help me if you know how to.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would help immensely if we had your Mac's specs and OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F Donald ....

Just a little confused. Are you wanting to change the wheel to a different image OR are you wanting to get rid of it as in fix the problem with your Mac so it doesnt appear as much as it sounds like it does ??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Just a little confused. Are you wanting to change the wheel to a different image OR are you wanting to get rid of it as in fix the problem with your Mac so it doesnt appear as much as it sounds like it does ??

Sounds like he wants to mod it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Would help immensely if we had your Mac's specs and OS.

Not sure what specs are.

I think it's called

OS X : Snow Leopard

Could be wrong about what it's called. I just remember the snow leopard and it be OS X. I'm pretty amateur if you haven't noticed by the above.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I want to get rid of the color wheel though. I hate it. I'll admit to being a bit dramatic, but I feel insulted watching a color wheel spin in my face while my computer is loading or running slow. I would prefer something less colorful spinning in my face when I am angry. Even if it means having a grey/black/purple wheel spinning in my face.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I want to get rid of the color wheel though. I hate it. I'll admit to being a bit dramatic, but I feel insulted watching a color wheel spin in my face while my computer is loading or running slow. I would prefer something less colorful spinning in my face when I am angry. Even if it means having a grey/black/purple wheel spinning in my face.

Hmmm well you did say you are pretty amateur RE : Mac OS.... By the way you would be right in saying Snow Leopard... My advice at the moment is try your darndest to NOT worry about it. If memory serves me right to change the wheel you will have to play around with System Files and even for the Geniuses here thats a sort of No No ... Playing with system files you are more than likely stuff up your whole Mac which in the end means a complete re-install ...
There could however be a Terminal command that could do it for you.
If you REALLY want to play around with it ill see what i can dig up for you ....

But be WARNED ;)

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmmm well you did say you are pretty amateur RE : Mac OS.... By the way you would be right in saying Snow Leopard... My advice at the moment is try your darndest to NOT worry about it. If memory serves me right to change the wheel you will have to play around with System Files and even for the Geniuses here thats a sort of No No ... Playing with system files you are more than likely stuff up your whole Mac which in the end means a complete re-install ...
There could however be a Terminal command that could do it for you.
If you REALLY want to play around with it ill see what i can dig up for you ....

But be WARNED ;)

Cheers

What would be the possible effect of using a Terminal Command?

And why can't I just throw this stupid wheel in the recycling bin?! Grrr*

Curse you Apple for making me go to ridiculous extremes to get rid of this god forsaken color wheel!!!!!

Also what would modding it do for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Not sure what specs are.

My Specs:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.19f2
Serial Number (system): YM7486V1YL1
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CBAD5C6B

To get the above, click on the Apple icon in the upper left, on the menu bar. Select "About This Mac". That opens a small window, and you click on "More Info..." Then you can copy and paste the info into your next post.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The reason that many of the posters are asking for your specs is because you shouldn't be seeing the spinning pinwheel all that often. If you are, it's usually indicative of a deeper problem (i.e. not enough memory, corruption in the filesystem, damaged software installs, etc).

As toMACsh advises above, please use the system profiler to help us better understand your computer.

Think of it this way - if you called your mechanic and said "my car makes a noise, what's wrong with it?", they'd probably ask you what make and model the car is, whether it's a 4-cylinder, V6/V8, diesel, etc before they would even venture a guess as to the cause of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.