Logic Studio won't install on brand new iMac

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hopefully somebody can help me to understand this issue...

Just last week, I purchased a brand new iMac, 27in screen and 8 GB ram.... I also purchased Logic Studio... Didn't go to install it till yesterday evening and the following message comes up.....

Alert
Logic Studio installer recommends that youru system have 64 MB or VRAM, this system has only 0 MB or VRAM

Logic Studio Installer requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

And then the installer just closes and I start to cry...;) I am (was) a pc user and was working with Cubase, just fine on a itty bitty laptop with very few problems.. my point being that I wouldn't be super-familiar with Mac computers so I specifically asked the apple guy if Logic Studio would run on my iMac, and he assured me that it would....which it doesn't.. I would really appreciate any thoughts on this..

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which version of Logic Studio?

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi mrplow....it's logic pro 9 with mainstage and soundtrack....just bought it along with the new mac last week

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you running the iMac at it's native resolution? All system updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue you are getting is common in the hackintosh world by the looks of a bit of googling around. I'm wondering if your iMac video card is faulty.

Unless another member has other ideas I'd suggest contacting Apple. I'd suggest making an Apple store appointment and going back with the iMac and software (I know that it's a pain, carting an iMac around).

While you're there perhaps consider returning the boxed edition of the software at $500 it's much more expensive than it's digital download version through the Mac App Store $200 for Logic Studio and $30 for Main Stage

Reaction score
logic loops also in the download version?

The issue you are getting is common in the hackintosh world by the looks of a bit of googling around. I'm wondering if your iMac video card is faulty.

Unless another member has other ideas I'd suggest contacting Apple. I'd suggest making an Apple store appointment and going back with the iMac and software (I know that it's a pain, carting an iMac around).

While you're there perhaps consider returning the boxed edition of the software at $500 it's much more expensive than it's digital download version through the Mac App Store $200 for Logic Studio and $30 for Main Stage

Hi!
With the problem on the iMac I agree. I run quiet the same system and it works properly.

But I have a question to the second part: Does the download version include the about 40 GB loops and samples?. Cause these are really great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll need to check specifically but the description says 19gb of optional downloadable content:
Mac App Store - Logic Pro

Made for musicians
• Get up and rolling fast with production-ready templates and one-step track setup
• Work fast with easy access to all tools and editing areas using a single-window interface
• Enhance your songs with over 15,000 Apple Loops in a wide range of instruments and genres

Plug-ins & sounds
• 40 built-in instruments including synths, vintage keyboards, a drum machine, sampler, and more
• 80 effects including reverbs, delays, EQs, dynamics, amps, stompboxes, and more
• Over 1700 sampled instruments for a rich variety of acoustic and electronic sounds
• 4500 professionally crafted settings to fuel your creativity

System Requirements: 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended), display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher, minimum 6GB of disk space. 19GB of optional content available via in-app download.

Features the original Logic project for the song "Helena Beat" by Foster the People.

OP
C
Reaction score
I made a visit to the apple retailer where I purchased both the software and the mac.. I showed the guy the picture of the error message that I got.. He absolutely insisted that there was no problem...which of course aggravated me to no end.. He wouldn't let me speak and my partner had to actually tell him to stop talking over me...

Anyways, a lovely guy from Apple called me when I got home and talked me through it.. What I had to do was to re-set the VRAM... which I did, and then installed the software with no problem.. I still can't understand why I had to do that with a brand new machine but I'm glad it's working now.

The next thing to do is to connect the Focusrite audio/midi interface....I'm actually dreading it.....:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry you had to jump through hoops but pleased you got sorted and thanks for posting back the results.

Any chance of posting how you reset the VRAM in case someone has a similar issue and finds this?

Reaction score
is it true...

....that logic studio still costs about 500$ in a store???

Rediculous!:)....

Anyway....the download price surprised me a lot....I mean 200$ is cheap as ****....can't believe it....But I suppose it's the same version, same samples and the like....

Cheers,
Kenaudio

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry you had to jump through hoops but pleased you got sorted and thanks for posting back the results.

Any chance of posting how you reset the VRAM in case someone has a similar issue and finds this?

Shut down the computer...

Hold down the P - R - CMD and alt keys together and switch it back on.

When you hear the second start-up chime, then let them go...

Then just check in 'about this mac'....and 'more info... and you'll see how much VRAM you have....

It worked for me....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.