6100/66 help

Reaction score
I'm trying to boot up my old 6100/66. I have tried it on an AppleColor RGB monitor and a Portrait Pivot 1700 monitor, but nothing shows up on the screen. If the battery were dead, it wouldn't boot up at all, right?
The green light comes on and I can hear the machine whirring away.
How do I troubleshoot this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my experience the 6100 Powermacs are one of the models where if the PRAM battery is dead it will not boot up. Replace the battery ($4.99)...and it should startup ok.

HTH,

- Nick

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Com... (3.6VPRAM) at OWC

pram_3_6v_400x250.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please let us know if it solves the problem!

Hey Nick, how come you didn't recommend your Alkaline battery and scotch tape method of replacing the PRAM battery? :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick, how come you didn't recommend your Alkaline battery and scotch tape method of replacing the PRAM battery? :p

Wow...you remembered that one!;) Ha ha!

I would have suggested something like that...but that temp. PRAM battery was for a "weird" Apple Powermac 4400...which used a "brick"or box shaped PRAM battery...and was 4.5volts...so you could stack three 1.5 volt AA batteries together to get a temporary PRAM battery.

The more common round cylindrical PRAM battery that Mac's used for a long time is/was 3.6 volts. Might have to get real creative making a 3.6 volt temp. PRAM battery (kind of a weird voltage number).

Maybe I'll have to think on it & see what combination of "off the shelf" batteries would work. Then we would have a good way for folks to test their system to verify if their problem is a dead PRAM battery.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Or...You can go to Radio Shack and get a 3 AA holder...I did that on a Starmax..had the same brick battery. And for the KatMac ... some of theses older Macs will not lite a monitor with a dead battery.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks! The new battery did the trick.
Next question, how do I wipe out all my personalized settings, etc. so I can post this Mac for sale?
(When the AOL screen comes up, all my screen names are listed. Things like that.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! The new battery did the trick.
Next question, how do I wipe out all my personalized settings, etc. so I can post this Mac for sale?
(When the AOL screen comes up, all my screen names are listed. Things like that.)

Awesome that the battery did the trick! I have a 6100, it had a dead PRAM battery...and a new one did the trick as well.

As far as the hard drive. Do you have an OS install disk (I'm assuming your running OS 8 or 9 on it)? If so boot the computer from it, open a program called Disk Utility (or something like that)...over-write the hard drive with 1's or 0's (if you have that option)...then reinstall the OS.

Regarding selling the computer. I hope you're not expecting to get very much for it. This computer is 15 years old, you may not even get any interest. Personally I wouldn't pay more then $10 bucks...I actually got mine for free.:) These old computers just aren't worth very much.

When I suggested getting a new PRAM battery I thought you were keeping the computer not selling it. That PRAM battery probably cost you close to $10 bucks with shipping...that's basically the 100% of the value of the computer! it might have been better to have sold the computer with the old dead battery. You still might have gotten $10 for it.

In any case...good to hear the battery helped.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Just saw an Apple system go for $300 on eBay and the buyer paid $175 shipping too, so you never know.
This is the whole shebang, with printer, scanner, modem, mic and more. I will give it a shot and see what happens.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just saw an Apple system go for $300 on eBay and the buyer paid $175 shipping too, so you never know.

I've seen a lot of "Apple Systems" go for $300 and a lot more $$$....the problem is I'm almost 100% sure that this $300 Apple System wasn't a Powermac 6100!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.