Choppy movie playback on itunes

Reaction score
I rented my first movie from itunes and about 20 min into it the video got really choppy. The bottom back half of my Powerbook 1.25 ghz was really hot. I had it elevated off the desk a lil to so cooler air could get in there. I had no other programs running to. I've watch DVD's before with no problems. I'm wondering if my harddrive is taking a dive since the movie is being read off that. Anyone have any ideas what the problem and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sounds like some other program was trying to access the hard drive 20 mins in.

Any idea what it could be?

What OS are you on? How much memory do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
Just throwing a couple thoughts out...

I have never rented a movie off iTunes before, so I could be wrong with my thinking...If the movie is downloading as it plays, much like when you watch trailers and videos off of websites, then it could of been something related to your internet connection, or internet congestion. If the movie downloads completely and then you watch, then that would not be the case.

You said your Powerbook was getting hot. This could be the reason also for the choppy video. Why it would get hot with a downloaded movie and not a DVD...I really don't know. Only thing I can think of is that the downloading process is putting an extra task on the CPU. How demanding of a task, I am not sure.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sounds like some other program was trying to access the hard drive 20 mins in.

Any idea what it could be?

What OS are you on? How much memory do you have?

I checked the activity monitor and only finder and itunes were running. itunes was using 80% of my memory. I have 512 memory and I'm on panther.

Just throwing a couple thoughts out...

I have never rented a movie off iTunes before, so I could be wrong with my thinking...If the movie is downloading as it plays, much like when you watch trailers and videos off of websites, then it could of been something related to your internet connection, or internet congestion. If the movie downloads completely and then you watch, then that would not be the case.

You said your Powerbook was getting hot. This could be the reason also for the choppy video. Why it would get hot with a downloaded movie and not a DVD...I really don't know. Only thing I can think of is that the downloading process is putting an extra task on the CPU. How demanding of a task, I am not sure.

Yea I let the movie download a day before and then started watching it so it had plenty of time to cool off. Could one of my memory sticks go bad? This has happened before with a different video i downloaded but it wasn't off itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
well I found this thread...
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51537&highlight=choppy+video

I'm thinking i might have the same problem but does my powerbook have a logic board?

Sounds like a similar problem from what you describe. Yes you do have a logic board (motherboard). But, it puzzles me that standard DVDs play fine. I would think if it was a hardware issue it would do it no matter what the video source was. I have seen stranger things though O:)

OP
I
Reaction score
I actually haven't watched a dvd on it since the problem started so maybe i should try putting a dvd in and see if the same problem occurs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.