hook up to HD tv?

Reaction score
I see that I got this HDMI connector with my new MBP, however, it doesn't appear to connect any where on the back of my Denon receiver or my television. Also, it's only about two inches long! I'm wondering, if there is a way to watch video on my Mac via the HD tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
It is a DVI port on the MBP, not HDMI.
DVI is an all-digital interface used for both computer displays and TVs.
HDMI is electrically similar to DVI, but has a different physical connector that may also include an audio signal.
You’ll need a DVI to HDMI adapter, such as the Belkin PureAV HDMI to DVI cable to use. You may also need an audio cable.

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/video-cables/m/5731924/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I actually have a MBP DVI->Component (Red/Green/Blue) cable that I am no longer using (bought an AppleTV). It worked great for me while I used it, PM me if you're interested.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Okay...now I'm really confused. That little DVI attachment doesn't seem to attach anywhere on my receiver or my 42" Samsung LCD tv. As far as red/green/blue...I've got one of those, but where would it connect on the computer? Also, just saying I could connect that DVI connector...how in the heck can you use it, when it so short?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
What I'm saying is I have a 6 foot cable that has a DVI connector on one side for the computer, and RGB on the other end for the TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
This is why god invented extension cables.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I just don't understand why Apple includes a 2 inch DVI connector. So, there really isn't any way to hook up my Mac via HDMI? But, I can get an extension cord with DVI on one end and the 'ol RGB on the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Yes. You can also get one with DVI on one end, and HDMI on the other end.
They make longer ones, they just cost more.:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Thats an adapter for a VGA or a AVG (I think) cable. Just in case your TV doesn't have a DVI input... See if your manual has a preference. To me snoslicer8 has a nice cable set-up. If you don't have DVI or HDMI port on the back of you TV that may be your best bet...

Reaction score
To be clear, the DVI connection on your MBP is a DVI out. You can't input a signal from your receiver/hdtv to you Mac, unless you use say a USB TV decoder.

Many connect their Macbook/Pro's to their media centers using either mini dvi(Macbook)->VGA/DVI/S_Video w/mini-headphone cable. With a MBP you can use a straight DVI cable along with a mini-headphone audio cable, or a DVI->HDMI converter w/mini-headphone audio cable.

I just don't understand why Apple includes a 2 inch DVI connector. So, there really isn't any way to hook up my Mac via HDMI? But, I can get an extension cord with DVI on one end and the 'ol RGB on the other?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.