Boot Camp: Windows Version Question

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to put Windows XP on my MacBook, but I am wondering if I need a special version of Windows XP. Can I just purchase the basic Windows XP Home disks and install it with BootCamp? Any help is appreciated.

- Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You need Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home Edition or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions. I have seen people using Vista too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Service Pack 2? Isn't that for multi-computer use?

No, service packs are compilations of bug fixes, updates and sometimes new features for an existing version of a Microsoft operating system. If you purchase a retail copy of Windows XP, it will likely have SP2 integrated into it. However, if you do happen to purchase an older version of the disc, it is possible to "slipsteam" SP2 and create an updated CD. You must have a PC to do this and a blank CD to burn it onto.

Keep in mind that Bootcamp requires that SP2 be integrated into the install disc. It is not possible to install an older version and then later update to SP2 as it might be on normal PCs.

This is not a problem if you choose to run Windows via Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I was reading about that. It says you need the single disk version of wiondows xp service pack 2. Where do you get this? Microsoft website?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was reading about that. It says you need the single disk version of wiondows xp service pack 2. Where do you get this? Microsoft website?

All retail copies of Windows XP are on a single disc. There was another poster who was confused and thought he needed another disc, but in fact, he discovered that he had accidentally ejected his CD.

You can purchase XP in just about any store that sells computer products, although some discount stores like Costco may have a lower price - especially now that Vista is out and they're trying to clear our old products.

SP2 can be downloaded from Microsoft's site as a standalone product if you need to integrate it for installing with Bootcamp. Instructions for creating such a disc are available here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.