iMac G3 Keyboard Compatability

Reaction score
Hi all

For nostalgia reasons I just bought a 400mhz iMac G3 off ebay. The computer was sold to me on the basis that it didn't come with an OS pre-installed.

Unfortunately, I appear unable to boot off my OS 8.1 system disk because the only keyboard I have is a new-ish aluminum Apple Keyboard which the iMac doesn't recognize. This means that I cant hold the C key down on startup :( should another cheap USB keyboard work ok? Also, will the 400mhz iMac run off OS 8.1?

Any help appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Any USB keyboard should work. Including your Aluminum one. I suspect either the CD drive is at fault, or your OS disk isn't a full retail version.

OP
T
Reaction score
Any USB keyboard should work. Including your Aluminum one. I suspect either the CD drive is at fault, or your OS disk isn't a full retail version.

Are you sure? The reason I think it might be a compatibility is because the caps lock key doesn't light up when pressed even though the keyboard is definitely receiving power (my mouse attached to the USB hub on the keyboard lights up). Most websites Ive read suggest that the keyboard is only compatible with OSX, which does seem strange.

The CD is definitely a retail version, though it is 8.1 which i'm not sure the 400mhz iMac is compatible with. The CD drive does seem to spin up properly though obviously it could still be broken.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depending on the actual model as there were a couple of 400MHz machines, the earliest operating system it will install is either OS 8.6 or OS 9. OS 8.1 will simply not install period and I though we had this discussion last month?

OP
T
Reaction score
Depending on the actual model as there were a couple of 400MHz machines, the earliest operating system it will install is either OS 8.6 or OS 9. OS 8.1 will simply not install period and I though we had this discussion last month?

Hi there

Thanks for the replies :). I suspected that was the case. I've bought an original OS9 disk which is on the way so its not that big of a problem. Am I being stupid about the keyboard though, considering the whole capslock thing? Should the 400mhz macs at least be able to boot off the 8.1 disk even if they can't actually install 8.1?

Im not sure who you spoke to last month but it wasn't me so sorry about that one :Blushing:

Cheers

Reaction score
Should the 400mhz macs at least be able to boot off the 8.1 disk even if they can't actually install 8.1?

Cheers

The OS has to be new enough to support the Imac firmware and USB. That said...the Imac install disc that are orange are version 8.1. I have used it to restore a slot load Imac with a clean HD...then upgraded to 9.2 and then to 10.2. Make sure you upgrade the firmware if you install X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.