Modem Fast, Router Slow: Why the Lag?

Reaction score
Hi.. a few quick facts:

- New 24" iMac
- Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Modem
- D-Link WBR-2310 Rangbooster G Router
- COX Cable

Ok.. I bought an iMac recently and was using the built-in wireless to feed off of my friend's Linksys modem/router; it was unbearably slow and I usually got a better reception from a neighbor's unsecured router. We both decided that I'm the one that needs a stronger connection as I do a lot of downloading, so Cox switched over the line/account to my room and wired a cable to my iMac.

I initially used her Linksys combo, but it kept resetting itself and I'd get a ton of dropped connections, so I bought a Motorola modem and it was still a bit slow, so I called Cox and had them give us the fastest package; it worked and I had super fast speeds all last week.

Thing is.. I have a laptop I still need to work from now and then and we have an XBox 360 with a wireless adapter - not to mention the fact that my friend is dying to get back on her PC (she's going to buy a USB adapter). I bought the D-Link router from Best Buy and it's now slow again - REALLY slow. I'm not talking about the laptop or the XBOX (they're ok and.. I could care less). I'm talking about my iMac. It's wired straight to the router, but it often takes 30 seconds to load a page. If I forget the router and go straight through the modem, it's fast again. It's definitely the router, but.. why?

I did a search on Google and tweaked some settings on the router:

- Enabled auto-channel scan; didn't work
- Tried a few "quieter" channels; didn't work
- Tried with Turbo, without Turbo; didn't work

Guys.. is it a bad router? Any ideas? I would have gone for Airport Express and/or any of the N routers, but I hear it's a nightmare getting it to work with the XBox - that and the speeds are only faster when transferring data?

I'm a bit of a newbie, so.. forgive all the questions.

It's just frustrating. The only other option I have (if I can't get it to work) is to have my friend pay another $55 for a separate connection - just so we've got wireless access in the apartment. While very costly, I need fast speeds.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It would seem to be a port forwarding issue to me, but if it's just web pages it shouldn't be affected. It would be if you were torrenting for example.
I think it may just be that the connection can't cope with all of the trafiic at once.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure if it helps, but I rarely have the laptop or the XBox on. I would understand if there was something else feeding from it, but... it's just the iMac. It shouldn't take 20-30 seconds for a page to load, right?

No torrenting, no - just trying to load a .. CNET page or CNN.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks. Not sure if it helps, but I rarely have the laptop or the XBox on. I would understand if there was something else feeding from it, but... it's just the iMac. It shouldn't take 20-30 seconds for a page to load, right?

No torrenting, no - just trying to load a .. CNET page or CNN.

Thanks

What kind of security are you using? On many occasions, we've had reports from members where switching the security to WPA or WPA2 corrected the problem (probably a good idea anyway).

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm using WEP, but .. only because I don't think the XBox takes WPA. **** 360. I will try it, though. Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well.. I switched to WPA, restarted the router and rebooted the computer; it's still slow. Hmmm. Maybe I'm just cursed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.. I switched to WPA, restarted the router and rebooted the computer; it's still slow. Hmmm. Maybe I'm just cursed.

Tried doing a firmware update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
This may sound simple, but, did you verify your DNS settings? If you aren't using the proper DNS servers, you may be introducing lag time while your systems try to resolve the hostname from the URL.

OP
T
Reaction score
I thought about the firmware update thing until I read somewhere that it could brick the router (I'm new at this, so.. it could be total bs). Not to be ignorant, but where would I go to find the update? I looked on D-Link's site, but I wasn't able to locate it. As for the DNS settings, how do I look that up?

Thanks for all the help, guys..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought about the firmware update thing until I read somewhere that it could brick the router (I'm new at this, so.. it could be total bs). Not to be ignorant, but where would I go to find the update? I looked on D-Link's site, but I wasn't able to locate it. As for the DNS settings, how do I look that up?

Thanks for all the help, guys..

If a firmware update fails for some reason, yes, it can brick the router. Is it possible? Yes - but so is an asteroid striking the Earth tomorrow. Likely? Not so much.

The firmware updates should be under the downloads section on D-Link's site. Once you get the file, you'll need to upload it to the router using the router's configuration web page.

As far as DNS goes, if your internet service provides DHCP for configuration, then it's likely not the culprit. Most ISPs nowadays do. If you didn't have to manually enter IP configuration into your router and/or modem when it was new, chances are your service is DHCP and the DNS settings are automatically provided by the ISP.

OP
T
Reaction score
I should think before I speak. I found the firmware update and saved it. The router just restarted itself. I was showing a 6/06 firmware and the update was a recent one, so.. my fingers are crossed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No.. it's still takes about 20 seconds to load a page

Try doing a cold reset. There should be a recessed reset button on the back of the unit. Press and hold it for about 15 seconds. Then, shut the computer(s) down. Unplug the power to your modem and router. Power the modem on, allow it to initialize. Then, plug the power into your router and allow it to initialize. Boot your computer(s) up and reconfigure the router (all of the settings should be wiped out, so you'll have to start from scratch).

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks cwa.. I tried that and it's still slow. I don't get it. I figured.. ok, it's going to be slow with the router .. but I need one for the XBox and for my laptop, BUT.. I don't need the router RIGHT NOW, so.. I unplugged it and I hooked the modem straight to the computer and.. nothing; no connection. I rebooted and .. nothing; no connection. So.. why can't I connect to the Web?

This is so frustrating. I'm almost ready to just forget it and pay the extra $55 a month for her to use the router from HER computer since my Mac is obviously having issues with this one. What do you think?

OP
T
Reaction score
It's like the router has said.. "you are mine, now; forget your little modem"..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.