New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a proud owner of a New MacBook Pro 13inch that I bought today. I got a good deal so I couldnt pass it up. I'm new to the Mac world and will be coming here to assistance and I will return the favor as well once I get more familar with my MacBook Pro. I have a problem or dont know what I'm doing right. I'm trying to connect my 24inch Monitor that is HDMI to the new Mini display port on my Macbook Pro called "Thunderbolt" aka Light Peak but I just get a blue flash on my MacBook screen and my monitor will bo black. I have no problmes with My PC with the monitor but that is HDMI to DVI . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to use my monitor with my MacBook Pro. Oh I forgot to tell you that I purchased the HDMI to mini Display adapter from the Apple store. Thanks in advance. :)

Reaction score
any suggestions? Help would be appreciated!

I had the same problem when i just bought my mac 6 months ago, I think its called drag an drop. So when you plug in mini display port to monitor is you mac screen still on? if so whatever window you want displayed on the monitor, what you do is you drag the window all the way to the right an the window should get displayed on the monitor. Hope this helps if you have anymore ? lmk an ill help you the best I can.

OP
B
Reaction score
RE: New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to THunderbolt issue)

I had the same problem when i just bought my mac 6 months ago, I think its called drag an drop. So when you plug in mini display port to monitor is you mac screen still on? if so whatever window you want displayed on the monitor, what you do is you drag the window all the way to the right an the window should get displayed on the monitor. Hope this helps if you have anymore ? lmk an ill help you the best I can.

I've tried what you suggested and had no success. My MacBook Pro can detect the monitor via HDMI to mindisplay port (Thunderbolt) because I can see two screen under preferences. "Color LCD" and "H243H" my monitor and all the different resolutions and mirror options etc.. I even moved the display boxes to the left, right,up and down and still no luck. Help!! Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try some different resolutions for the external monitor.

OP
B
Reaction score
Try some different resolutions for the external monitor.

I've noticed not all my resolutions for my 24inch monitor is not showing up. I wonder if it could be the HDMI to mini displayport that is causing the problem? I use HDMI to DVI with my pc on the same monitor and have no problems at all. What doyou guys think?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. New Macbook Pro 13". I have a mini-displayport to DVI port. I plug in my monitor to it and it does show as an option in the list (brand name and resolutions it can show seem to be detected correctly) but the monitor itself stays asleep. I cannot seem it wake it. I rebooted the laptop with it connected but still no joy. It can see but not drive it for some reason...

I am using a Neet (it think) cable I got from amazon, but it should be the same as the apple one. I am also using an adaptor to turn my monitor VGA output into a DVI one. I do this on my PC and old Mac Mini without issue. The Macbook doenst seem to want to play though :(

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. New Macbook Pro 13". I have a mini-displayport to DVI port. I plug in my monitor to it and it does show as an option in the list (brand name and resolutions it can show seem to be detected correctly) but the monitor itself stays asleep. I cannot seem it wake it. I rebooted the laptop with it connected but still no joy. It can see but not drive it for some reason...

I am using a Neet (it think) cable I got from amazon, but it should be the same as the apple one. I am also using an adaptor to turn my monitor VGA output into a DVI one. I do this on my PC and old Mac Mini without issue. The Macbook doenst seem to want to play though :(

Yeah same issue for me. I was thinking about buying a DVI to min displayport and see if that will fix the issue. Please advise.

Reaction score
I've no idea if an apple one will fix it to be honest. Interestingly, when plugged in the screen seems available, i can move the mouse and a windows i'm dragging off screen as expected. But, the monitor is dead. I think it is the adaptor, bit reluctant to spend £25 to find out on top of the £12 i've alredy spent!

EDIT - It might be that because both my monitors i've tested are VGA style connection instead of DVI native. Is yours the same? I may take my macbook to work tomorrow to test.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iaingblack:

If the connection on your monitors are VGA, you cannot use a mini displayport (mdp) to DVI adapter. That adapter puts out a digital only signal, while VGA is analog. Those small little DVI/VGA adapters we all used when DVI first came out will not solve this issue.

You need the mdp to VGA adapter to get an analog output from your Mac and a standard VGA cable.

bobenhaus:

try turning stuff on in different orders.
Mac, then TV.
TV, then Mac.

If you have a DVI port, I would go that route instead of HDMI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 320 GB Intel dual core - 4GB ram
i have the same issue on my SOy Bravia TV every time I connct it with a HDMI cable, all I do is ope system preferences, go to Displays and click on DETECT DISPLAYS on the bottom right, that instantly "wakes up" the TV and it works every time. I started having this issue a couple months ago, and it happens on my wife's 13" white Macbook. Might be some OSX update that caused it...

OP
B
Reaction score
I've no idea if an apple one will fix it to be honest. Interestingly, when plugged in the screen seems available, i can move the mouse and a windows i'm dragging off screen as expected. But, the monitor is dead. I think it is the adaptor, bit reluctant to spend £25 to find out on top of the £12 i've alredy spent!

EDIT - It might be that because both my monitors i've tested are VGA style connection instead of DVI native. Is yours the same? I may take my macbook to work tomorrow to test.

My monitor has all 3 connections hdmi,vga and DVI right now. I'm using hdmi to dvi for my pc and trying to use the same for my new Macobook pro . Please advise. Thanks alot guys for all your help.

OP
B
Reaction score
iaingblack:

If the connection on your monitors are VGA, you cannot use a mini displayport (mdp) to DVI adapter. That adapter puts out a digital only signal, while VGA is analog. Those small little DVI/VGA adapters we all used when DVI first came out will not solve this issue.

You need the mdp to VGA adapter to get an analog output from your Mac and a standard VGA cable.

bobenhaus:

try turning stuff on in different orders.
Mac, then TV.
TV, then Mac.

If you have a DVI port, I would go that route instead of HDMI.

I'm using hdmi to dvi for my pc but on the mac it is hdmi to mini display port. So I dont know what the issue for this to happen. The monitor is being detected and I can see the resoutions but the screen is black. THanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would avoid using the HDMI input as you've been advised. (You're not going to get high definition anyway.) Go back to your local Apple store and exchange that MDP -> HDMI adapter for one that is
MDP -> DVI. Of course you'll need a DVI cable also (may have been included with your external monitor).

Forget about what you're using for the PC. I've been thru the same thing and what bobtomay suggested to you works best.

Reaction score
Same here

I updated to the new Macbook and get get a signal to my screen.
mdp - hdmi -> hdmi - dvi -> tft
this worked fine with the old Macbook but now the screen keeps looking for a signal, the mac found it though.
Maybe the Thunderbolt pins are not compatible after all...

OP
B
Reaction score
this worked fine with the old Macbook but now the screen keeps looking for a signal, the mac found it though.

I'm going to Microcenter on Saturday to return my HDMI to MDP and get a DVI to MDP I hope that will fix the issue. I would love to have it connected to my 24inc Acer monitor screen. My current PC setup is HDMI to DVI and it works flawless. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Using two adapters in sequence never works. Like the other user, you need to just go from MDP to DVI instead of MDP to HDMI to DVI. According to Apple the new Thunderbolt output port is backward compatible with MDP and in fact is the same adapter sold by Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to Microcenter on Saturday to return my HDMI to MDP and get a DVI to MDP I hope that will fix the issue. I would love to have it connected to my 24inc Acer monitor screen. My current PC setup is HDMI to DVI and it works flawless. Thanks.

Post back and let us know how all this turns out, but I suspect that going from the MDP Thunderbolt output on your MBP to the DVI input on your Acer should work.

Reaction score
Cheers for the help guys. I got a new DVI monitor (any excuse!) and it works fine. Trying a VGA -> DVI adaptor obviously wont cut it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Glad you got it working. Nothing like buying a nice new shiny monitor for your new MBP. :) Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.