Issue with "Go To Folder:" Box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
After being fed up with Windows for quite some time, now, I finally made the switch about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I'm already much more comfortable in Mac than I ever was in Windows. Shoulda done this YEARS ago! I don't care who says that I've sold my soul to Steve Jobs. Macs simply work better.

at any rate, there is one thing that kind of has me bugged a little bit - the "Go To Folder:" box. While by it's name, I can't expect it to do more than exactly what it says, is there way to open an application or a document from it, by typing in the text? Whereas in Windows' equivalent, I could type a path to a folder and include the document I wanted out of that folder, and have it open, OR simply type the name of an application I wanted and have that open, it seems you can't do that in Mac.

Is there any way to open applications or documents from the "Go To Folder" box or is there any other shortcut - keyboard or otherwise - I can use to open these items? Call me lazy, but I would rather just type the name of what I want, hit enter and have it open, instead of having to click on the apps folder and look through a list, before finding it and clicking on it to have it open.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Instead of using the Go To Folder shortcut, simply type the name of the app or doc in the Spotlight box (magnifier at top right side of menu bar) - don't even need the path there - hit enter and it will open up for you.

'Command' + 'space' will open the Spotlight window with a cursor ready to type.
As soon as the one you want is highlighted in the field, press enter - or you can then scroll to one of the other items it found.

For those that like keyboard shortcuts - here's a pretty nice list - link.

But yes, the gotofolder shortcut simply does what it's name implies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Instead of using the Go To Folder shortcut, simply type the name of the app or doc in the Spotlight box (magnifier at top right side of menu bar) - don't even need the path there - hit enter and it will open up for you.

That's nifty, for sure. Here's why I don't find it useful: I "back up" every important file every time I alter it. Technically, it's not a backup. I copy my files to a flash drive. It's really quick, and there are some days that go by without any files being edited. Usually, if I do work with any files, I only need to do my coping once, but sometimes I'll do it twice in the same day.

But, the Spotlight trick could be very useful for others. I need the folder to be open anyway, so I just go directly to the folder, not the file.

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6

'Command' + 'space' will open the Spotlight window with a cursor ready to type.
As soon as the one you want is highlighted in the field, press enter - or you can then scroll to one of the other items it found.

For those that like keyboard shortcuts - here's a pretty nice list - link.

But yes, the gotofolder shortcut simply does what it's name implies.

Thanks a million! That is almost exactly what I was looking for. Hadn't gotten around to reading about the Spotlight feature, yet, but that works almost perfectly. I say "almost" because it doesn't quite have the pinpoint accuracy of typing out the path to a document, but it is a dang handy feature. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That's nifty, for sure. Here's why I don't find it useful: I "back up" every important file every time I alter it. Technically, it's not a backup. I copy my files to a flash drive. It's really quick, and there are some days that go by without any files being edited. Usually, if I do work with any files, I only need to do my coping once, but sometimes I'll do it twice in the same day.
So exclude your backup drive from Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hadn't gotten around to reading about the Spotlight feature, yet, but that works almost perfectly. I say "almost" because it doesn't quite have the pinpoint accuracy of typing out the path to a document, but it is a dang handy feature. :)
If you know the file name, or most of it, it's just as accurate as typing the path to it, only you don't have to know all that, or type it. In other words, it's better! Hope it works for you!

So exclude your backup drive from Spotlight.
What? My "backup" drive is a removable flash drive. It never shows up in Spotlight, because I wouldn't have it "mounted" when I use Spotlight. My point was I don't want to open files without opening the folders they are in, because as soon as I'm done editing, I drag and drop the files onto the flash drive. But, for others who don't use my weird "backup" method, the Spotlight trick could be very useful indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Or open up terminal, type open /file/path/here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My point was I don't want to open files without opening the folders they are in, because as soon as I'm done editing, I drag and drop the files onto the flash drive. But, for others who don't use my weird "backup" method, the Spotlight trick could be very useful indeed.

Sorry, I misunderstood your issue.

Anyway, it's not necessary to have the parent folder of a document open to make a copy of it. Once you have the document open (through Spotlight, or however) just option-drag the proxy icon from the window's title bar to your target volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
T I say "almost" because it doesn't quite have the pinpoint accuracy of typing out the path to a document, but it is a dang handy feature. :)

Position your mouse pointer over one of the spotlight choices and the path will appear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's not necessary to have the parent folder of a document open to make a copy of it. Once you have the document open (through Spotlight, or however) just option-drag the proxy icon from the window's title bar to your target volume.
Thanks for that tip. I didn't know that. New in OS X I presume. (I skipped 10 to 10.4) It will also move the file to another folder on the same volume, but appears not to copy.

But, more cold water: The fact that I use Spaces, and have one space dedicated to Finder & flash drive Windows means that I won't find this feature useful either! I can't see the document and the target folder's window at the same time, unless it will work with all spaces in view. But, I'm not sure my eyesight is good enough for that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, more cold water: The fact that I use Spaces, and have one space dedicated to Finder & flash drive Windows means that I won't find this feature useful either! I can't see the document and the target folder's window at the same time, unless it will work with all spaces in view. But, I'm not sure my eyesight is good enough for that!

It does work across spaces! You can drag the proxy icon off, and while holding the drag, hit the spaces button, switch to the new space, hold down option, and release the drag to copy. Whew! Might not be practical to use every day, but it makes for a cool demo....

[EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention...you can always command-click on a title bar to open the parent folder (or any of the grandparent folders.)]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does work across spaces! You can drag the proxy icon off, and while holding the drag, hit the spaces button, switch to the new space, hold down option, and release the drag to copy. Whew! Might not be practical to use every day, but it makes for a cool demo....

[EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention...you can always command-click on a title bar to open the parent folder (or any of the grandparent folders.)]

1. Yeah, and if the window is open in the other space, hovering over it causes that space to fill the screen! And I must have used Command instead of Option when trying to Copy yesterday.

2. Slight correction: right click on the Title to open the parent folder, etc. Clicking to the side, on the title bar, gives you other options. I used to use this all the time in OS9 (cmd-click with a one-button mouse) but now that it's easier with a two-button mouse, I rarely use it. Go figure! I have even used cmd-click more often. Old habits die slowly! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

But, the Spotlight trick could be very useful for others. I need the folder to be open anyway, so I just go directly to the folder, not the file.

Not to get too far off topic here, but it sounds as though you would really appreciate dropbox. It automatically backs up a revision of your document to the cloud any time you save.

A free account gives you 2 GB:
DropBox vs iDisk- it’s not even a contest Jetplane Journal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the OP's issue was addressed.
DropBox looks interesting. I'll download it and see how it looks.
I also dump my flash drives onto IDrive online storage. I'm at less than .5GB now.
That includes archive folders too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.