WWDC new macbook pro 13" - can I exchange mine?

Reaction score
I bought my 13" unibody macbook less than a week ago, can I exchange it for the new model or am I screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz Unibody 13" MacBook, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 1GB ram, iPod 16GB Touch, 30GB iPod Classic
I have the same question. I bought my MacBook six weeks ago and after spending all that money I'm a little peeved that the new model has now gone on sale. I know that you get free Apple Phone Support for 90 days after purchase - do you think it's worth calling them to see what they might do?

I'm at work so can't try it at the moment.

Many thanks for any advice. :)

Reaction score
As far as I know, if you have opened the box, you have two choices:

1. Return it and pay a restocking fee.

2. Keep it and get a rebate on your purchase price that is equal to the difference in price between what you paid and the end-of-life price on the previous generation machine.

That happened to me just before the latest iMac upgrades. I opted for option (2) and save $200.

Reaction score
I have the same question. I bought my MacBook six weeks ago and after spending all that money I'm a little peeved that the new model has now gone on sale. I know that you get free Apple Phone Support for 90 days after purchase - do you think it's worth calling them to see what they might do?

I'm at work so can't try it at the moment.

Many thanks for any advice. :)

Unfortunately, I think 6 weeks is too long to be able to return or get the discount.

OP
R
Reaction score
As far as I know, if you have opened the box, you have two choices:

1. Return it and pay a restocking fee.

2. Keep it and get a rebate on your purchase price that is equal to the difference in price between what you paid and the end-of-life price on the previous generation machine.

That happened to me just before the latest iMac upgrades. I opted for option (2) and save $200.

Are the new macbook pro 13" specs worth paying the restocking fee ($150)?

Reaction score

Only you can answer that, but I'd probably take the $200 or so rebate from Apple and be happy. In the end, you get the computer you wanted a few days ago for $200 less than you were willing to pay. IMO, that's a good deal.

To get the new version, it would cost you $350 more than keeping the one that you have.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Only you can decide that. Compare the two of them and make an educated decision for yourself and your financial situation.

If you purchased less than a week ago, give Apple a call and be nice - ask what they can do for you.

6 weeks ago - give me a break.

OP
R
Reaction score
But would the new long life battery work on my macbook uni? That would be a compelling reason to change if it only works on pros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz Unibody 13" MacBook, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 1GB ram, iPod 16GB Touch, 30GB iPod Classic
Unfortunately, I think 6 weeks is too long to be able to return or get the discount.

Yeah, that's what I figured but you never know till you ask. Thanks for your response rsmithgi

6 weeks ago - give me a break.

I was only asking a question. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
But would the new long life battery work on my macbook uni? That would be a compelling reason to change if it only works on pros.

I'd have to say no since the new battery is built into the new MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.