Belkin Router dropping connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I recently procured a Mini, which is turning out to be a great computer, but i'm having problems with my router.

It's a Belkin Wireless g router, and it's worked flawlessly for almost 2 years with my PC. Since I bough it, it's dropped the connection ONCE, and i'm not even sure that was the router at fault. The mini will cause it to drop the connection quite often for some reason. But here's the odd thing...it only happens when the mini is wired to the router. If I use airport, it works flawlessly.

I've switched back to the PC, and it works fine. I can use airport and it works fine. If I plug the mini into it, it'll drop the connection every 10 minutes for a while, then maybe work fine for a while. Then drop it constantly, ect.

Any ideas? (besides just using airport all the time)

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It might sound funny, but the first thing I'd do would be to swap the Ethernet cable you're using. Some of these routers don't handle the detection of 10/100 very well and if you're using an inferior cable, it can drop the connection intermittently.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might sound funny, but the first thing I'd do would be to swap the Ethernet cable you're using. Some of these routers don't handle the detection of 10/100 very well and if you're using an inferior cable, it can drop the connection intermittently.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should've mentioned that...I tried 2 different cables, both with the same results.

Also, my girlfriend has a mini, and when I hooked her machine up over here, the same thing happened. It's not the cable, or my machine specifically. Seems that my router just doesn't like being plugged into macs for some reason!

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Network from the System Preferences. Click on the Show: field and change to Built-in Ethernet. Click the Ethernet tab. Change the configuration field to Manually (Advanced), change Speed to 10baseT/UTP (it will be set to autoselect). Click Apply Now and report back as to how it behaves. (We're doing this just as a test).

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Network from the System Preferences. Click on the Show: field and change to Built-in Ethernet. Click the Ethernet tab. Change the configuration field to Manually (Advanced), change Speed to 10baseT/UTP (it will be set to autoselect). Click Apply Now and report back as to how it behaves. (We're doing this just as a test).

Thanks for the reply. It's dropping a little less now, but will still act up a few times a day. Actually, it's acting up even when connected via airport now.

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. It's dropping a little less now, but will still act up a few times a day. Actually, it's acting up even when connected via airport now.

-Nick

Well, that wasn't really intended to be a permanent fix - I was just hoping to isolate it to auto-negociation or bad cabling. It's starting to sound like an altogether different problem. Have you checked into firmware updates for the router?

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that wasn't really intended to be a permanent fix - I was just hoping to isolate it to auto-negociation or bad cabling. It's starting to sound like an altogether different problem. Have you checked into firmware updates for the router?
Good call. I just checked out the Belkin site and found a firmware update, but i'm not having any luck.

Here's the page:
http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7230-4&aid=5027&scid=0

My router says the following on it:
Model: F5D7230-4
Ver.4001

The version doesn't match anything they're listing there, so i'd assume it's the fist one on the list...at least it has a 4 and a 1 in it! But that just gives me some .bin file, which doesn't do anything when I open it up.

I guess i'll have to see if I can contact their CS or something.

I'm wondering if I should try actually using the install CD for the router. It worked right off the bat when I got the Mini, so I never bothered. Maybe there's a function in the install process to update the firmware automatically upon installation.

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good call. I just checked out the Belkin site and found a firmware update, but i'm not having any luck.

Here's the page:
http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7230-4&aid=5027&scid=0

My router says the following on it:
Model: F5D7230-4
Ver.4001

The version doesn't match anything they're listing there, so i'd assume it's the fist one on the list...at least it has a 4 and a 1 in it! But that just gives me some .bin file, which doesn't do anything when I open it up.

I guess i'll have to see if I can contact their CS or something.

I'm wondering if I should try actually using the install CD for the router. It worked right off the bat when I got the Mini, so I never bothered. Maybe there's a function in the install process to update the firmware automatically upon installation.

-Nick

The bin file is not an executable, you need to upload the bin file to your router. Your router should have a firmware upgrade feature accessible from the router's configuration webpage. You'll just need to click the 'upload' button and go from there.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bin file is not an executable, you need to upload the bin file to your router. Your router should have a firmware upgrade feature accessible from the router's configuration webpage. You'll just need to click the 'upload' button and go from there.
Ahh. Thanks, I went to my config page and uploaded it, but it says I already have the latest firmware installed on the router.

There's a factory reset option. Do you think I should try that, or try using the install CD on my machine for some reason?

it so odd, this unit works flawlessly with my PC.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white), Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 GB RAM
Hello

I am having a similar problem but with a different router.

The only work-around that works for me is to power-cycle my router and/or the cable modem.

I have also updated all router firmware and the problem persists...
I am not using a Mini but a MacBook and have 2 PCs on the network.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh. Thanks, I went to my config page and uploaded it, but it says I already have the latest firmware installed on the router.

There's a factory reset option. Do you think I should try that, or try using the install CD on my machine for some reason?

it so odd, this unit works flawlessly with my PC.

-Nick

Typically, problems with a wired connection are distinct from problems with a wireless connection. What troubles me is that you're having problems with both means of connectivity.

What kind of security are you using for the wireless connection?

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello

I am having a similar problem but with a different router.

The only work-around that works for me is to power-cycle my router and/or the cable modem.

I have also updated all router firmware and the problem persists...
I am not using a Mini but a MacBook and have 2 PCs on the network.
Is your router a Belkin? Also, and excuse the ignorance, what do you mean by power-cycle?

Thanks for the reply.

Typically, problems with a wired connection are distinct from problems with a wireless connection. What troubles me is that you're having problems with both means of connectivity.

What kind of security are you using for the wireless connection?
The router is set up by default with a 128-bit WEP key. I haven't configured any other type of security for it.

-Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your router a Belkin? Also, and excuse the ignorance, what do you mean by power-cycle?

Thanks for the reply.

The router is set up by default with a 128-bit WEP key. I haven't configured any other type of security for it.

-Nick

To "power cycle" a machine (any machine) is to turn it off (power down) and turn it back on again.

As to your problem, I'm stumped. If it were just happening wireless, I'd recommend trying a different channel, changing your encryption type or relocating your router to a better area (up high and central in your house is usually best). But the ethernet issue has me stumped. I'm not sure if the Mini has a gigabit ethernet port like other Macs, but my guess is that the Belkin doesn't like autonegociation with Gigabit Ethernet. Are you using a really long cable?

Reaction score
I had a similar problem when I switched to a Mac, also with a Belkin wireless router. My PC was getting a signal but my Mac would drop it intermittently. I changed channels, encryption, etc. all without effect.

Bought an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and haven't dropped a signal since.

"clue"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One quick question, is this an Intel Core Duo Mini? Also what version of OSX you running? Is it the latest 10.4.9 or a bit older? Reason I ask is some have claimed to have issues since the 10.4.9 update but that only effected the Wireless and not the wired.

I have a Core Duo mini, G4 Mini. Neither have ever once dropped a wired connection. Never and same with all my Macs. That is the part that has me stumped, WiFi has issues from time to time, but Wired should not have problems as long as it works. I am using Linksys WRT-54G's here. 2 of them. I have tried also my spare Netgear 108Mhz and same, solid 24 a day. The strange thing to me is that your PC's work. I take it your PC's are hooked up Wired also? When you say Drop Connection, do you mean connection to the internet? Do you still have a valid IP address on the Mac when this happens?

The only wired issues I have EVERY had with any computer and router is one old CompUSA router who's ports were very picky and would not even light the light with one PC no matter what I did. Also are your cables Straight through? Not crossover cables? Not trying to insult you at all, just trying to get to the bottom of this so you can enjoy your Mini. My mini has been 100% for a year now and I use it on my network 24 a day.

Forgot to mention this, I have had issues with some Belkin routers and some NIC cards in the past. Subbing another brand router solved the wired problem. That PROBLEM CompUSA router I had at one time was made by belkin. Never had more issues with a router than with that one.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To "power cycle" a machine (any machine) is to turn it off (power down) and turn it back on again.

As to your problem, I'm stumped. If it were just happening wireless, I'd recommend trying a different channel, changing your encryption type or relocating your router to a better area (up high and central in your house is usually best). But the ethernet issue has me stumped. I'm not sure if the Mini has a gigabit ethernet port like other Macs, but my guess is that the Belkin doesn't like autonegociation with Gigabit Ethernet. Are you using a really long cable?
Ahh. Well, I 'power cycle' the router multiple times a day then. ;)

My machine is a G4 mini. 1.42Ghz. I'm admittedly a bit ignorant to some aspects of its specs. All I know is the ethernet is listed as "Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)"

The cables I was using are 3' long. I tried 2 separate ones. I have 2 phone jacks in my apartment (DSL service). One is right next to my computer desk in the bedroom, where the DSL modem/router were plugged into until yesterday. I then moved the Modem/router into the kitchen where the other jack is and just used the Mini via airport. I'm getting the same results in both situations (two different 3' cables or airport access, 2 different phone jacks). My PC functions fine with the router in either location. Only the mini kicks the router off.

I had a similar problem when I switched to a Mac, also with a Belkin wireless router. My PC was getting a signal but my Mac would drop it intermittently. I changed channels, encryption, etc. all without effect.

Bought an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and haven't dropped a signal since.

"clue"
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the only real reason why I use the wireless router is because I have a Sony PSP that I mess around with pretty often. I don't have a laptop, so it's real convenient to use when I don't want to sit down at the desk. I also like having the PC online as well. I was thinking about getting an Airport express unit. But this router is been so good to me, it would be great to get this sorted out so i'm not forced to buy something else.

One quick question, is this an Intel Core Duo Mini? Also what version of OSX you running? Is it the latest 10.4.9 or a bit older? Reason I ask is some have claimed to have issues since the 10.4.9 update but that only effected the Wireless and not the wired.

I have a Core Duo mini, G4 Mini. Neither have ever once dropped a wired connection. Never and same with all my Macs. That is the part that has me stumped, WiFi has issues from time to time, but Wired should not have problems as long as it works. I am using Linksys WRT-54G's here. 2 of them. I have tried also my spare Netgear 108Mhz and same, solid 24 a day. The strange thing to me is that your PC's work. I take it your PC's are hooked up Wired also? When you say Drop Connection, do you mean connection to the internet? Do you still have a valid IP address on the Mac when this happens?

The only wired issues I have EVERY had with any computer and router is one old CompUSA router who's ports were very picky and would not even light the light with one PC no matter what I did. Also are your cables Straight through? Not crossover cables? Not trying to insult you at all, just trying to get to the bottom of this so you can enjoy your Mini. My mini has been 100% for a year now and I use it on my network 24 a day.

Forgot to mention this, I have had issues with some Belkin routers and some NIC cards in the past. Subbing another brand router solved the wired problem. That PROBLEM CompUSA router I had at one time was made by belkin. Never had more issues with a router than with that one.
It's a G4 mini, 1.42GHz. It's updated to 10.4.9. I've only had the machine for a little over a week and I updated it pretty much right when I set it up. However, my girlfriend also has a G4 mini, and that machine was here before I updated her to 10.4.9. Her's was running 10.4.8 and had the same exact problem with my router.

I have one PC, which isn't wireless capable. I've been using it with this Belkin router for a little shy of 2 years, and it dropped on me only once with the PC. With the Mac, what will happen is i'll just get a sudden drop in the connection. The "wireless" and "internet" lights will go out and the only way to regain functionality is to pull the plug and power it back up again. The DSL modem stays fine through this. The same thing happens whether the Mini is connected via Airport or wired.

And actually, this gets weirder even...

I didn't actually purchase the router. A friend of mine bought it and decided he didn't want it a few days later. He said it was constantly dropping the connection on him (but it was brand new of course). I wasn't reminded of this until I talked to him, it was a while back. But I took it here, set it up, and never had an issue until now. His computer is....you guessed it...a Macbook pro.

Seems like it just doesn't like Macs for some reason. 3 separate Macs have issues with it, and my PC never fails to work properly.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white), Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 GB RAM
I am having intermittent connection dropouts both with the network/LAN and with the internet connection and on all 3 computers connected to our home network.
We are using a D-Link wireless n router (it's pretty new).
We enabled WPA security
For the most part things work but then suddenly one of the computers will lose network connection totally. Sometimes more than one at a time loses it but I think it's usually one or another.
Since the problem is intermittent it's hard to tell what the cause is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am having intermittent connection dropouts both with the network/LAN and with the internet connection and on all 3 computers connected to our home network.
We are using a D-Link wireless n router (it's pretty new).
We enabled WPA security
For the most part things work but then suddenly one of the computers will lose network connection totally. Sometimes more than one at a time loses it but I think it's usually one or another.
Since the problem is intermittent it's hard to tell what the cause is.

Are these dropouts with Wireless? Are all the systems Macs or both PC's and Macs? I have had to troubleshoot a lot of peoples WiFi and there are some Dlink's that go up and down like a Yo-Yo! The 108Mhz and this one 54G one are that way and always loose their wireless connection. I took one of my Linksys's over to one clients house and problem was gone. Did it with both my PC and Mac laptops I take with me. I would hope the new Dlink N routers are better but who knows.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, i'm not sure that it will help...but I completely wiped my machine of all its network/internet settings, did a factory reset on the router, and reinstalled everything fresh from the CD that came with the router. I'll see what happens and report back.

Thanks for all the help so far.

-Nick

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I don't want to speak too soon. But I think I have this sorted out finally.

I feel silly for not just trying this in the first place. But after wiping the machine, doing a factory reset and reinstall...it's been working perfectly all day. I had the day off work, and I was home for most of it so I had a chance to beat it up pretty good...going to youtube and opening up 5 videos at once, Downloading huge files while i'm on AIM, and web browsing. Wifi and wired. It didn't trip up once.

Hopefully this won't be temporary. Thanks for all the help and responses. And for anyone in the future that experiences this problem, definitely try a factory reset on the router, and just reinstall the software on your machine.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.