iPad or iPad mini?

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Cost aside, which would folks buy, a full-sized iPad or an iPad mini, and why.

I currently have a 3rd gen iPad (first with Retina) and because I'm a toy nut have saved up to buy the newest iPad Mini. Question is, would I be happier upgrading to an iPad Air (the current one has met my needs) or a Mini. Or keeping what I have and buying something else entirely...

If you have both sizes, which one do you find yourself gravitating to the most?

I use my iPad currently for browsing the when when watching TV and watching movies in airplanes/hotels.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Cost aside, which would folks buy, a full-sized iPad or an iPad mini, and why.

I think that it really comes down to YOUR personal preferences.

- Do you like a larger display...or are you ok with a smaller display?
- Do you like the way the iPad mini feels (one-handed vs. two handed)?
- Do you like using the iPad on your lap or on a desktop?
- Does the iPad seem too large for some places (airport, library, McDonald's, school, Starbuck's, etc.)?
- Do you have an vision issues that may make an iPad mini less desirable?

How you feel about these things & your personal preferences are what counts. I and anyone else may feel completely opposite from you (which is perfectly fine for everyone)!:) What YOU think is what counts (since YOU are the one that will be using it)...not everyone else.;)

- Nick

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Agree, but that's why I asked "why". There may be some issues I hadn't considered or even heard of. For example, on another head/forum I just read that the mini color reproduction is just not quite up to the big brother's. Since I use this for showing off photos (a point I forgot to mention) this may be a big deal to me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree, but that's why I asked "why". There may be some issues I hadn't considered or even heard of. For example, on another head/forum I just read that the mini color reproduction is just not quite up to the big brother's. Since I use this for showing off photos (a point I forgot to mention) this may be a big deal to me.

I agree. If there are technical upsides/downsides to either device...this is certainly something that someone wants to be aware of before purchase.

I was thinking that your question mostly revolved around "footprint" differences & usage differences/preferences.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Are they going to run the same OS version and have retina display? If so, then one is the same as the other in my book. If you want smaller, get a Mini. If you want lighter, get an Air. If you like money in the bank, keep yours. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently have a 3rd gen iPad (first with Retina) and because I'm a toy nut have saved up to buy the newest iPad Mini.

Another thought. If you're a TRUE "toy nut"...you shouldn't need any logical reason to get an iPad Mini...you just get it BECAUSE you're a toy nut!!!:)

But if you do need some convincing...and you still don't just want to throw your money away (be somewhat frugal). Along the lines of what "XJ-linux" is saying (keep the money on the bank).

Owning a 3rd gen. iPad is not that bad of a place to be in...but if you should decide to get an iPad Mini...maybe the 3rd gen. iPad needs to go (sell it).:)

- Nick

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thought. If you're a TRUE "toy nut"...you shouldn't need any logical reason to get an iPad Mini...you just get it BECAUSE you're a toy nut!!!:)

But if you do need some convincing...and you still don't just want to throw your money away (be somewhat frugal). Along the lines of what "XJ-linux" is saying (keep the money on the bank).

Owning a 3rd gen. iPad is not that bad of a place to be in...but if you should decide to get an iPad Mini...maybe the 3rd gen. iPad needs to go (sell it).:)

- Nick

I appreciate the answers...but was really hoping to hear from folks that own both that can provide pros and cons. I have plenty of other things I can spend the money on :)

ON another site I heard someone say that they can use one before leaving the house so as to not drain the battery on the other one. I responded that a battery charger is cheaper...See, I can be frugal too!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the answers...but was really hoping to hear from folks that own both that can provide pros and cons.

You may find some folks with both. But most of us "common-folk" can only afford to have one of these devices at a time (newer generation of both).;)

I have plenty of other things I can spend the money on :)

Don't we all!;)

ON another site I heard someone say that they can use one before leaving the house so as to not drain the battery on the other one. I responded that a battery charger is cheaper...

Couldn't agree more. Especially when the battery life on an iPad can push 10 hours.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

It's true that the iPad Air has better colour reproduction than the Retina iPad mini. If you're showing off photos mostly, then you want large and colourful, so I think the decision is made. The iPad Air and the Retina mini are about the same weight, actually, but the Air ... because its less dense ... feels "lighter" somehow. Given your stated purposes, I think the iPad Air is the best option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
I appreciate the answers...but was really hoping to hear from folks that own both that can provide pros and cons. I have plenty of other things I can spend the money on :)

ON another site I heard someone say that they can use one before leaving the house so as to not drain the battery on the other one. I responded that a battery charger is cheaper...See, I can be frugal too!

I have both. I use the mini and my wife uses the other. The mini is easier to pack and travel with. But I read it in landscape mode. I find the text too small sometimes, if in doubt, get the bigger one. Although there are mods you can make to adjust font on your menu bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.