RAID Encrypted Hard Drive's for MBPs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey guys,

Looking to pick up a new 13 inch MBP for work....BUT all the laptops that are supplied to me from my job all have encrypted hard drives, so I'll have to swap out my HD on the mac it seems...

Though I can't seem to find any encrypted HD's for mac. Is it possible on a MBP?

Thanks guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hey guys,

Looking to pick up a new 13 inch MBP for work....BUT all the laptops that are supplied to me from my job all have encrypted hard drives, so I'll have to swap out my HD on the mac it seems...

Though I can't seem to find any encrypted HD's for mac. Is it possible on a MBP?

Thanks guys :)

Not sure I understand the relationship between RAID ( in the title ) and the encryption requirement .....

For hard disk encryption, have a look at the links below, there are more to be found on Google and on this forum ...

Have a look at TrueCrypt TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
or PGP Review: PGP Whole Disk Encryption for Mac OS X — PaulStamatiou.com

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or just use File Vault already built in to OS X. Just make sure you keep about 60-70% free space on the system partition if you ever want to be able to turn the encryption off vs wiping and reinstalling the OS.

With any encryption method, you need to know how you're going to back up your data also.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the replies, sorry it took me a bit to get back to this post.

Sorry if I'm a bit confusing, I'm still trying to understand this myself through my work and I've never had to deal with special hard drives in the past. Honestly, I'm not even fully sure what a RAID drive is used for but those were the words thrown around by our IT guys. I'll know more tomorrow, but what I do know is that the laptops that they do give out at work along with any other machines at work have to be encrypted hard drives to protect user data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No worries mate.
RAID is a mechanism for adding resilience to hard drive failures by increasing the number of physical disks.
It is not an encryption mechanism :)

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.