iMac monthly service?

Reaction score
I rang what i thought was a direct UK Applecare number from my browser,and in order to help with a problem went through the remote access procedure, i then saw that it was Iyogi which was new to me,but was told that they help to sort-out any mac problems.

The woman i was speaking to said that my mac was very slow(it's not really) and asked how old it was..i said just one month old and she then said have i had it serviced?...and announced that i should be getting it done at lease every other month,but preferably once a month!

When i questioned this...and said i had never had to do this on my previous windows pc,she told me that mac's are different and that if i didn't get it serviced it would eventually stop working altogether?

She then said not to worry as she could give it a good check-over and rectify any problems for a one off payment which would cover me for a year? Alarm bells started ringing in me and i told her that i am still within my free 90 days Applecare plan..she said she would have to check this and then continue with my mac check,which would still incur a small one-off fee!

I told her i was not willing to go ahead and that i would get into contact with Applecare. She said ok i will give you a direct number to call. I did not use the number and ended the session and then checked Iyogi reviews..which were poor to say the least!

Just concerned now that they may have introduced a virus or something on my mac whilst having remote access...i am new to mac...is there any way that i could check to see if it's ok?

Phil.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Good thing the alarm was working and you disconnected the call before proceeding any further.

Everything they told is, pardon my french, crap..you should never contact them again and warn anyone else you know..:)

Macs do not need to be services like a car with oil changes or whatnot..

These are all scare tactics used by these "service" companies to basically make a killing from unsuspecting victims.

You have 90 days of AppleCare phone support and you have 1 year of free AppleCare that covers manufacturers defect. You can extend that to another 2 years before the 1 year anniversary of your purchase.

If you want to contact Apple for any purpose, use the phone number listed on this page.

As far as viruses and all that, I wouldn't worry about that unless you were told to install an application for them to check on things and you actually did. If you were just conversing with someone over some sort of a chat program..you're fine..

OP
P
Reaction score
Good thing the alarm was working and you disconnected the call before proceeding any further.

Everything they told is, pardon my french, crap..you should never contact them again and warn anyone else you know..:)

Macs do not need to be services like a car with oil changes or whatnot..

These are all scare tactics used by these "service" companies to basically make a killing from unsuspecting victims.

You have 90 days of AppleCare phone support and you have 1 year of free AppleCare that covers manufacturers defect. You can extend that to another 2 years before the 1 year anniversary of your purchase.

If you want to contact Apple for any purpose, use the phone number listed on this page.

As far as viruses and all that, I wouldn't worry about that unless you were told to install an application for them to check on things and you actually did. If you were just conversing with someone over some sort of a chat program..you're fine..
Hello Ashwin,
Many thanks for that...i thought it was most likely a lot of old rubbish...but it's reassuring to hear it from someone who's had so much more Mac experience.

Unfortunately, when I first thought that i was speaking to a genuine Applecare assistant and was prompted to start the remote application's to enable them to start using my mac,i did so..as i had no initial reason to think i shouldn't, but although the sceen went briefly dark there was no sign of remote activity. I realised my error when i saw the lyogi banners and then questioned her and went no further in the process,

I had occasion to contact Applecare a couple of weeks ago about an e-mail problem and that time it was a genuine person..he was going to connect remotely to my Mac then...but discovered that he was unable to due to my broadband being incompatible due to it's speed. I mention this as hopefully the person today would have had the same problem!

I did set my Mac's security system to encrypt my files a short while ago...would that help guard against viruses?

Thanks again.

Phil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bad news that enabling them to remotely control your iMac. Check with your banking house and credit card companies, if you access them over the 'net, for transactions and stop if necessary in case these scammers have got access to your information.

There are no Mac OS X viruses.

OP
P
Reaction score
All in order and ok at present! Good to know there are no Mac OS X viruses

Phil.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.