need developer to convert powerpc program to Lion compatible

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to find a developer to convert our power pc program into an intel version? My original developer is unavailable. The program is called Times Alive and comes in a cd rom flash based program. It has worked on every OS until Lion. Any suggestions how to find someone for this?

Reaction score
If you type "Find a Developer" into a Google search, you will get loads of sites.

Also you should be a little more specific, for example, what programming language is
your app written in, and what development tool was used to make the app, and also do
you have the original source code and project files available.

Regards Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lion does not support Rosetta so no PowerPC applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hence he is looking for somebody to rewrite the app to be supported in Lion...

rewriting someone else's (closed source) app is, IMO, highly unethical ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The program is called Times Alive and comes in a cd rom flash based program.
Flash is platform-agnostic - the code is compiled to an intermediary format which works on any platform that has a Flash runtime. You shouldn't have to rewrite anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've seen a lot of adds asking for developers on Craigslist, so you might want to try that for your local area. The next thing up is developer job boards. Sorry, I don't have any to suggest.

rewriting someone else's (closed source) app is, IMO, highly unethical ;)

As I understand it, the OP is saying that this is their app. They own it.

Flash is platform-agnostic - the code is compiled to an intermediary format which works on any platform that has a Flash runtime. You shouldn't have to rewrite anything.

I'm not sure that they are saying it is written using Flash. The OP might want to clarify that. If the past programmer is available to discuss the development environment used to develop it, then they should at least get that much information out of them.

Man, the coincidence, I'm scheduled to be in Minneapolis, MN in a week. If that works out, I won't be available for extra work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
As I understand it, the OP is saying that this is their app. They own it.

Well, that makes a whole bunch more sense. Somehow, I'd missed that in my initial reading. O:) My apologies to the OP :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure that they are saying it is written using Flash. The OP might want to clarify that. If the past programmer is available to discuss the development environment used to develop it, then they should at least get that much information out of them.
That could very well be the case. It could also be a Flash app wrapped in an exe which might explain why the app needs to be "ported." I'm jumping ahead here though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That could very well be the case. It could also be a Flash app wrapped in an exe which might explain why the app needs to be "ported." I'm jumping ahead here though.

If its in an application runtime, then the only thing you can do is contact the developer. It only needs to be re-exported in a recent version of Flash, but you cannot decompile a projector app, you still need to contact the developer for the original Flash files.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If its in an application runtime, then the only thing you can do is contact the developer. It only needs to be re-exported in a recent version of Flash, but you cannot decompile a projector app, you still need to contact the developer for the original Flash files.
Absolutely. I would have imagined however that the developer would have left the source with the client. If that were the case, you wouldn't have to port anything - a simple compile should do the job.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Vansmith. I have the original source files and yes I own it. What do you mean a simple compile would do it? If it is exported into a more recent version of flash, will it work? The user now gets the error, does not support power pc programs. I am not sure what other language was used. But the user clicks on flash.exe to run the program and it comes packaged with the software. It is an interactive program with animated videos and songs, flash, and writes student files to the user's hard drive. Nothing installs on the computer but it is run off the cd rom drive.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is Flash (as in Adobe Flash), the code is platform agnostic. In other words, you don't need to create multiple versions since the code itself will work on any platform that Flash is supported on.

It would appear here that the developer took the Flash content and "wrapped" it in an exe file. They probably did this because Flash doesn't compile to native executables - it gets compiled into its own format (swf). What you need to do is take the source, compile it in Flash (which will create the swf file) and then find a way to get it to run as a binary. I don't know how to do that last step so I'll have to leave that to a more experienced Flash developer. From where I sit, I would just compile to swf, embed it into a webpage and put that on the disc but there may be a more elegant solution. You could also make it an AIR app which has the benefit of being cross-platform (info here). This last solution however requires the AIR runtime to be installed (which I believe can be installed on demand but I'm not positive).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.