Remote terminal access

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to log onto a remote computer, say my iMac (within the same network, not from being physically away from the network) and launch the terminal, say from my MacBook pro?

I would like to be able to run the terminal via the equivalent of the " telnet" function on an IBM compatible PC.

My issue is that by "sharing the screen" of the iMac from the macbookpro sometimes I get a slow response if there is some heavy duty activity on the iMac.

Can someone direct me to some video or text references?

Thanks a lot

Lou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
First of all, you shouldn't be running telnet in any environment, it's open text and really just insecure. In fact I haven't run a telnet daemon in about a decade now on any box I've admin'd.

Now, you can go into System Preferences, Sharing and turn on 'Remote Login'. This will enable the ssh daemon. Then you can open terminal on your macbook pro, issue the following command

ssh <user>@<host>

Example: ssh froot@beer

Where froot is my login and beer is the FQDN of the host

Then you'll be prompted for a password. Once logged in, you're in.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

could you please let me know what you mean by FQDN ?

thanks

First of all, you shouldn't be running telnet in any environment, it's open text and really just insecure. In fact I haven't run a telnet daemon in about a decade now on any box I've admin'd.

Now, you can go into System Preferences, Sharing and turn on 'Remote Login'. This will enable the ssh daemon. Then you can open terminal on your macbook pro, issue the following command

ssh <user>@<host>

Example: ssh froot@beer

Where froot is my login and beer is the FQDN of the host

Then you'll be prompted for a password. Once logged in, you're in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name

So, this would be the name of your machine as known by your DNS servers (example would be mail.me.com) or... you can use an IP.

OP
L
Reaction score
Not to worry,
i found out you can actually startup a remote connection from the terminal window.
cheers for the help so far.
Lou

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.