Buying iMac - upgrade options

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this in with some other questions elswhere but I think it fits into this section better, so trying again. :D

I'm just about to buy an iMac (my first mac!!;D) and it gives you options to upgrade the processor or the memory. I can't afford both, so am wondering which would suit me best?

I just need something that runs smoothly and doesn't get clogged up. I tend to have a lot of applications open at the same time and also work in high resolution in Photoshop.

Which would you guys recommend upgrading to???

My other thought is that maybe it's only worth doing one if you can do both??? I really wouldn't know!

Thanks! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I just need something that runs smoothly and doesn't get clogged up. I tend to have a lot of applications open at the same time and also work in high resolution in Photoshop.

In this case, more ram is the way to go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once you order the machine the processor can not be upgraded whereas you can upgrade memory any time you desire. Memory upgrades are user doable and it's certainly less expensive to purchase memory from a third party supplier than Apple.

If you need the faster processor, order it. Later on when you have some extra $$ in your wallet, buy additional memory and install it yourself.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Agreed however, two things should be considered ...

1st - What are the two choices ?
The difference between a 2.26 and 2.53 is not worth mentioning on the MacBook Pro. The iMac is 3.06 and a 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, now there is a difference here.

2nd - The whole mac experience from what I have seen has been, we will do it all for you, we will take care of you ... I don't believe many of these people will be motivated to undertake a memory upgrade.

However ... what do I know :D

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies.

The options are:

Processor:
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo [+ £160.00]

Memory:
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB or 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB [+ £160.00]

My inclination is to go with the memory, I think I'm unlikely to upgrade later on (very good point though chscag, very valid and worth knowing!!!! So thanks!!!)

Reaction score
Yep, go with memory. Apple charges ridiculous amounts for their RAM anyway. I recently upgraded my RAM and I bought it from a third party source. I bought it off Amazon, and it is half the price that Apple charges, and works beautifully.

OP
T
Reaction score
So if I bought it without the extra memory and upgraded myself with an Amazon purchase, would I affect the warranty?

How would I know which product to buy? and

Is it easy to install?

Sorry if they are stupid questions, I wouldn't know!!!

I've just checked out Amazon and can see something that looks right for about £72. So why pay £160 from Apple!!!!!

Thanks.

Reaction score
So if I bought it without the extra memory and upgraded myself with an Amazon purchase, would I affect the warranty?

How would I know which product to buy? and

Is it easy to install?

Sorry if they are stupid questions, I wouldn't know!!!

I've just checked out Amazon and can see something that looks right for about £72. So why pay £160 from Apple!!!!!

Thanks.

To be honest, I have no idea if it will affect the warranty. That one should be answered by somebody else who knows better than myself.

Well, what I did with mine was that I visited RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com, and it is a website that sells RAM, and the website provides a step by step guide for you to know exactly what RAM you need, how many slots your Mac has, and what is the maximum amount of RAM you can install in your particular model. If you are still unsure, the website also provides a free scanner for you to download, so that you'd know exactly what model your Mac is.

RAM is very simple to install on a Mac. If you look underneath your Mac, you will see a single screw holding a plate to the bottom of the Mac. That is where the slots are, and all you have to do is to unscrew that, pull out the RAM via some attached ribbons, then push the new ones in with some force. If you need help, you can always go to YouTube and there are literally a dozen step by step video guides that'd tell you how to replace RAMs. I followed a few videos on YouTube when I changed the RAM on my Macbook a few weeks ago, and I intend to do the same with my iMac soon.

Just take note of the model of your Mac, and know what your Mac can support. You don't want to buy the wrong RAM for your iMac. It will screw up everything if you are not careful.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great thanks for your help PsYkOoOoO. I will try and find out about the warranty and if it's ok to do that then that's what I'll do!!

Cheers, you possibly just saved me nearly £100!!! :)

Reaction score
Great thanks for your help PsYkOoOoO. I will try and find out about the warranty and if it's ok to do that then that's what I'll do!!

Cheers, you possibly just saved me nearly £100!!! :)

Buy me beer when I visit England. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
If your going to do this yourself, make sure you seat the ram properly.
Very important ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.