My screen seems broken...what's wrong and how do I fix it?

Reaction score
The screen on my 2 yr old Aluminum Macbook (not Macbook Pro) just, suddenly broke. It now has a has a 1.5" wide, black, vibrating, vertical bar running down the middle of it) My question are:

1) What is wrong with it?

2) How do I get it fixed? I have the upgraded 3 yr AppleCare protection package but does this cover all aspects of the repair? Hardware, labor..etc?

3) How long do you think it will take to get fixed? Do you think they can fix it at an Apple Store or would they have to send it away to some company repair center?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to say what's wrong with the display. It could either be the display or graphics causing the black bar. Take a screenshot of your desktop. If the black bar shows up on the screenshot, then it's probably the graphics chipset causing it. That might mean a new logic board. If the screenshot is clear, then it's likely the display itself.

Did you by chance drop your MacBook? Bump it into anything? Spill water on the screen area? Have it in your backpack along with other books?

The reason I asked the above is that any kind of accidental damage to the display is not covered by Apple care. Anyway, make an appointment with Apple and have them look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
Applecare fixes pretty much everything. Unless there is a huge dent in the side of the computer, indications of water on the inside, or an indelible Paintball splotch or a bullet hole in it, you are probably home free.

C

chas_m

Applecare fixes pretty much everything. Unless there is a huge dent in the side of the computer, indications of water on the inside, or an indelible Paintball splotch or a bullet hole in it, you are probably home free.

This is absolutely not true.

Applecare covers manufacturers' defects ONLY. It does not and never has covered user abuse.

Don't take my word for it, though. Read the t&c of Applecare for yourself:
Apple - Legal - Service Products - AppleCare Protection Plan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just take it to the Apple store with your AppleCare documentation. That is your best option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.