SSD, what's that noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
If i put my ear up to the left of the macbook air while upsideown(as you do) there is a distinct spinning sound, that turns off after a few minutes in sleep mode. I have seen the Video of mwsf 2008, and know that the fan is really near there, but i'm starting to wonder, is there realy an ssd in there?, or is it just the fan I can hear?

any ideas welcome and that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would take Apple's word and assume it's the fan and not a mechanical HD.
If it's only a whirring noise it has to be the fan. HD's make click and other mechanical noises.

Edit:
Why are you playing with your MBA upside down?? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
A question to you: How is the SSD? Performance wise. Battery life wise.

Reaction score
surely the easiest way to prove it has an ssd in it would be to benchmark it

read times are going to be very different to a platter, motor and arm kinda unit.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
A question to you: How is the SSD? Performance wise. Battery life wise.

I've gotta be honest, the battery life is less than I expected. Under 'normal' conditions(wifi on, screen on auto adjust, internet usage) i've never got more than 3 hr 30m. However I have got the allotted 5 hrs when wifi off, screen dimmed etc.

Performance is great! It starts up seriously quick, and apps open in seconds. When you overload the ram, it's less of problem because of the speed of the ssd.

For others:
When I hear it there is no ticking, but there is like little beeps, so i think that is the processor(they become louder as i put my ear over to the right.

Also when I shake it to test it(as you do, again) the mouse stops working(for a few seconds). i thought that SSDs could handle vibration, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know otherwise?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would take Apple's word and assume it's the fan and not a mechanical HD.
If it's only a whirring noise it has to be the fan. HD's make click and other mechanical noises.

Edit:
Why are you playing with your MBA upside down?? :)

It got a bit noisy, so I just put my ear to the back to see what it was. i was alarmed that it made a spinny sort of noise near to where the ssd is.

I guess if i was that desperate I could take it apart and see?(but probs won't)

Reaction score
For others:
When I hear it there is no ticking, but there is like little beeps, so i think that is the processor(they become louder as i put my ear over to the right.

Also when I shake it to test it(as you do, again) the mouse stops working(for a few seconds). i thought that SSDs could handle vibration, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know otherwise?

The noise is the fan or the processor voltage regulation.

The shake test makes your computer freeze because apple has not disabled the sudden motion sensor in the SSD model, even though it is not needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Maybe you should drive a truck over it to open the case and look to see what hard drive is in it (as you do).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...

I think I/m a bit paranoid...

When I fist bought my macbook online I ordered (and payed for) a 160 GB HD, but it came with 60!

I had to wait two weeks to get a new one with a 160 Gb HD, so I was annoyed, and sort of know that these things can happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I had had both and they are about the same, I sold the SSD and kept the HHD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.