Macbook Pro not recognising new hard drive in disk utility.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this gets asked a lot but I've done a lot of searching and still can't find the answer to my question, apologies if it exists somewhere.

Basically I'm replacing my old internal drive with one of these Amazon.com: WD Blue Notebook 500GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s 2.5-Inch Internal Notebook Hard Drive Retail Kit: Computers & Accessories

Won't show up in disk utility. I was thinking faulty hard drive cable BUT my old hard drive shows up just fine. Could it be anything other than that the new hard drive I've bought is faulty? Don't have a caddy so can't test it out but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Also reset the PRAM with no luck.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Hey guys, I know this gets asked a lot but I've done a lot of searching and still can't find the answer to my question, apologies if it exists somewhere.

Basically I'm replacing my old internal drive with one of these Amazon.com: WD Blue Notebook 500GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s 2.5-Inch Internal Notebook Hard Drive Retail Kit: Computers & Accessories

Won't show up in disk utility. I was thinking faulty hard drive cable BUT my old hard drive shows up just fine. Could it be anything other than that the new hard drive I've bought is faulty? Don't have a caddy so can't test it out but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Also reset the PRAM with no luck.

Cheers

Did you partition and format? It needs to have the GUID Partition Table and a format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

EDIT: You see no reference to the drive at all in Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What operating system? OS x.6 use the DVD and boot from that, into Disk Utility and as JohnCL suggests, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set up GUID under Partition. If Lion or Mountain Lion did you by chance make a USB thumb drive prior to running Installer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.