• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting VHS-C tapes to digital

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" late 2009, MacBook Pro
Hi all - new to the forum, so please forgive me if I'm a bit clunky! I have a load of VHS-C format tapes and also a fair number of mini DV tapes that I wish to capture and edit using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6. I have a late 2009 iMac. Can anyone tell me if I can run these tapes from my old camcorders (both Sony with Firewire output) straight into Premiere Pro without any conversion process in between?

Any answers much appreciated

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi all - new to the forum, so please forgive me if I'm a bit clunky! I have a load of VHS-C format tapes and also a fair number of mini DV tapes that I wish to capture and edit using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6. I have a late 2009 iMac. Can anyone tell me if I can run these tapes from my old camcorders (both Sony with Firewire output) straight into Premiere Pro without any conversion process in between?

Depending on the specific Sony camera I would say probably. I have an old Sony that uses mini-DV tapes that I have done FireWire import into iMovie. Never tried it with Premiere.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much for that. I think I might be ok with the mini DV toes, but I'm not so sure about the older VHS-C. I shall give it a go.

Regards,

CHANQ51

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Analogue Capture int Adobe Premiere CS6

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merged and moved posts. Please don't start a new post on the same subject.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry - I only joined the forum an hour or so ago. Didn't realise what forum I was in until I posted.

Thanks for the guidance.

Regards

chanq51

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry - I only joined the forum an hour or so ago. Didn't realise what forum I was in until I posted.

Thanks for the guidance.

Regards

chanq51

Not a problem. That's why I moved the original post for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.