• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do i Play Video on my MacBook?

Reaction score
Hello all, Im new here and have had my Macbook for about 1 month or so. I bought it for college. Anyways, my question is I have a Sony cybershot camera and am trying to get videos to play on my MacBook from it.... however I cant get the videos to play. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Try connecting the camera with a USB cable that probably came with your camera and then open up the application iPhoto. iPhoto will automatically import all the videos and photos from that camera, or you could pick which ones you want.

OP
T
Reaction score
Try connecting the camera with a USB cable that probably came with your camera and then open up the application iPhoto. iPhoto will automatically import all the videos and photos from that camera, or you could pick which ones you want.

Thats how i have been getting my pictures on, however Iphoto isn't picking up the videos off my camera.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
import the video footage in to imovie then export as a quicktime file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I guess I need to do that in order for my video audio to work in iMovie HD 6?? The audio disappears when uploaded in iMovie HD 6, but the camera files are MPEG format. Yet, when I use Flip4Mac files, the audio works perfectly. Isn't that backwards??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Do this. Otherwise maybe the file type isn't directly readable on a Mac? I've never heard of video being difficult to import on to a mac unless it was from a harddrive camera onto a non-intel mac.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I need to do that in order for my video audio to work in iMovie HD 6?? The audio disappears when uploaded in iMovie HD 6, but the camera files are MPEG format. Yet, when I use Flip4Mac files, the audio works perfectly. Isn't that backwards??

OK if you can get at the mpeg files themselves then try converting them with mpeg stream clip and then import in to imovie for editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
Download isquint

Reaction score
OK if you can get at the mpeg files themselves then try converting them with mpeg stream clip and then import in to imovie for editing.

that's what I ended up doing. I also own a cybershot, and imovie would not recognize the videos that I downloaded in iphoto. With streamclip, you can change the codec from mpeg1 to mpeg4 and then import into imovie

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's what I ended up doing. I also own a cybershot, and imovie would not recognize the videos that I downloaded in iphoto. With streamclip, you can change the codec from mpeg1 to mpeg4 and then import into imovie

Yeah thought that would cure it for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.