humming speakers on iMac

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a VERY annoying problem here. I have a 24" iMac9,1. The first one that uses ddr3 type memory. it works completely fine EXCEPT it generates a very consistent hum on my speakers. I am using a pair of Monsoon MM900 2.1 speakers. It is getting so bad that I have to power off the speakers except when I am listening to music(that drown out the hum). The speaker is not the problem as I plug it in my unibody Macbook and the problem gone away. Also, it didn't hum when I hooked it up with my Core 2 Quad desktop. All my equipment is protect with a UPS. I did some research and people was suggesting it is a ground problem. I bought an very expensive ebtech ground filter. Nothing helps so far. Has anybody got any ideas? tx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Do you get the humming through your iMac speakers? Or just through the external speakers when you plug them in.

OP
S
Reaction score
humming speakers

Do you get the humming through your iMac speakers? Or just through the external speakers when you plug them in.

Just the external speakers. I hooked my macbook unibody and my thinkpad and the problem isn't there.

OP
S
Reaction score
filter

You may want to try a ground noise filter. I've seen them run anywhere from $14-20 online, but I did find one on Ebay with a BuyItNow price of $5.

eBay (US) : 3.5mm Headphone Jack Ground Loop Isolator Noise Filter (item 280594919631 end time Jun-24-11 08:30:06 )

I got one of these:

Ebtech HUM-X Exterminator Ground Loop AC Eliminator | eBay

and it didn't seem to help. I think I will try your suggestion. $ 7 is small change compared to my $ 68 that I spend already. tx

ps: will post the result once I try it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Its definitely something with your audio jack, you could also try a different pair of speakers and see if its just a freak of nature with the ones you currently have.

OP
S
Reaction score
Its definitely something with your audio jack, you could also try a different pair of speakers and see if its just a freak of nature with the ones you currently have.

Yeah, but why would this problem not manifest in my macbook or thinkpad? I've another pair of speakers, i will try them today. tx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Well, the audio output power could be different, just a thought and won't really hurt in testing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Sounds silly, but make sure the speaker plug is seated in all the way. Some plugs seat harder than others.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Hi all, i have a VERY annoying problem here. I have a 24" iMac9,1. The first one that uses ddr3 type memory. it works completely fine EXCEPT it generates a very consistent hum on my speakers. I am using a pair of Monsoon MM900 2.1 speakers. It is getting so bad that I have to power off the speakers except when I am listening to music(that drown out the hum). The speaker is not the problem as I plug it in my unibody Macbook and the problem gone away. Also, it didn't hum when I hooked it up with my Core 2 Quad desktop. All my equipment is protect with a UPS. I did some research and people was suggesting it is a ground problem. I bought an very expensive ebtech ground filter. Nothing helps so far. Has anybody got any ideas? tx

I've never felt the need for ext. speakers on any of my Macs!!

The inbuilt ones sound great to me - and I do like good audio

OP
S
Reaction score
well

I've never felt the need for ext. speakers on any of my Macs!!

The inbuilt ones sound great to me - and I do like good audio

well, these are monsoon flatpanel speakers. very good quality even that it hasn't been made in 6 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
Your problem sounds like an obvious earthing problem. The problem is most likely in the earthing of your speakers. Using a mains filter will have no effect on mains hum. The reason why you are not getting any hum when the speakers are connected to your laptop is because it is battery powered (and therefore isolated from the mains) and your iMac is obviously connected to the mains. Connecting your speakers to the iMac is obviously creating an earth loop.

OP
S
Reaction score
well, i think you probably are absolutely correct. what do you think is a good solution? I absolutely love these speakers.

OP
S
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I never had this problem when I was connected to my pc. Does the PC have better grounding than the iMac.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Come to think of it, I never had this problem when I was connected to my pc. Does the PC have better grounding than the iMac.

It definitely sounds like a grounding issue - as has been pointed out. Have you tried a different outlet - for instance - the one that the PC was in that didn't exhibit the problem? Turn off lights - and any other appliance/electronics that may share that outlet's circuit.

It just wouldn't make any sense for the PC to have "better" grounding, not as a general statement, unless you happen to have a grounding issue with your particular iMac for some reason - or perhaps just your audio jack. Maybe your UPS is introducing the hum?? Try it without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
Curing an earth loop can be a most frustrating problem if you don't know the circuit layout of the various components.

I would start, for the time being, by getting rid of the UPS. It's only confusing things for the moment and it may be causing some.

It's a case of a system of elimination....

You say you had no problem when the speakers were used via your PC. Did your PC have a two or three pin power plug? I'm not familiar with your speakers but assume they are of the powered variety i.e. they have their own inbuilt amplifier. Do they have a two or three pin power plug? Not all appliances have an earth connection at their power plug (they have a two pin plug) They are either completely isolated from the mains or pick up their earth connection via the appliance they are connected to.

Earthing problems with audio equipment often arise when two appliances, when fitted with their own earth connections are connected together - this forms a "loop" which results in a mains hum.

Therefore, should your speakers have a three pin plug this is where the problem could be. In order to check it, you'll need to disconnect the earth lead from this plug. They will still be grounded via the neutral lead to your iMac.

Hope this helps. As I said, locating an earth loop can be a tricky problem! :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Come to think of it, maybe the problem with the iMac and the speakers is because they are on different UPS. I will keep on trying until I find a solution. I will post results once I found it. Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like a grounding issue - as has been pointed out. Have you tried a different outlet - for instance - the one that the PC was in that didn't exhibit the problem? Turn off lights - and any other appliance/electronics that may share that outlet's circuit.

It just wouldn't make any sense for the PC to have "better" grounding, not as a general statement, unless you happen to have a grounding issue with your particular iMac for some reason - or perhaps just your audio jack. Maybe your UPS is introducing the hum?? Try it without.

hi, i finally fixed the problem. i plug the iMac and the speakers into the same UPS and the problem went away. Or at least, I can't hear it. Very happy man now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.