MacBook Pro or Air

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a macbook within the next month. I am currently at University so I get a massive discount of the normal price but am not sure whether to get get the pro or the air.

I will use it for Internet, music, word processing and programming.

I had decided on getting the pro until today when the new MacBook air came out and I the specs had been improved.

Which one would you recommend for what I will be doing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you ever find yourself needing a CD/DVD drive? If so...then the MacBook Pro may be the better choice. Of course you can get an external CD/DVD drive for the MacBook Air.

You didn't mention what specific models you are considering...so there may be a $$$/£££/€€€ to consider.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I find these days a CD/DVD drive is not something I use.

I was looking at the 13" MacBook pro 2.0ghz processor and 500gb at £890

Or

13" MacBook air not sure whether to go 128gb or 256gb configuration yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nano, iPhone4, Shuffle
Im in the same boat as you mate.

Does anyone know when the new MacBook Pros or 'Ultrabooks' will be released?

I would probably wait and get a decent 15" Pro/Ultra but as it stands Im looking at a 11" Air for on the move and an iMac for home.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply.

I find these days a CD/DVD drive is not something I use.

I was looking at the 13" MacBook pro 2.0ghz processor and 500gb at £890

Or

13" MacBook air not sure whether to go 128gb or 256gb configuration yet.

You didn't include prices for the MacBook Airs...but:

- 13" MacBook Pro £890
- 13" MacBook Air 128gig SSD £1,099
- 13" MacBook Air 256gig SSD £1,349

In either case with the MacBook Air...that's a pretty good jump in price (if price is a concern)...especially for the 256gig MacBook Air.

The SSD drives are supposed to make a computer seem faster than the cpu speed would indicate...and the MacBook Air's are lighter than the MacBook Pros. So the best recommendation would be to try & visit a local Apple Store or university store (if possible) to make speed & weight comparison's.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
one other thing to consider would be battery life.

Reaction score
The battery life of the top tier MBA is supposed to be on par with the MBP at 7 hours.

Reaction score
That is a tough decision, as they are both great! For me personally, i like to play graphic intense video games here and there so the MacBook Pro would be the wiser choice as it comes with a much better video card than the standard Intel Graphics chipset. It all depends on your needs.

GL!

OP
T
Reaction score
Is there going to be a new MacBook pro out anytime soon?

I don't ant to go out and buy a pro and then a few weeks later a new one comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
The battery life of the top tier MBA is supposed to be on par with the MBP at 7 hours.

ok so the 13" 2010 mbp model had a 10 hour battery. did not notice that change.

Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air i5 processor w/ Lion OS
I just faced the same tough decision, but when I saw the new air and the specs, I was sold.

I was originally looking at buying the older air with the 256g hd, 2.13ghz core 2 duo and 4gb of ram. It was a computer that wouldve suited me well, but it ran $1800 after tax so I was hesitant because $1800 will buy you an awesome MBP, and I didnt think the "cool" factor of the Air was that cool.

When I saw the new specs though, I ordered mine ASAP. The scariest thing about the old airs was the core 2 duo just because it is a little dated IMO. Now the air offers the i5 (or i7) giving you that extra battery life, it has the backlit keyboard, and so on. I did order the 13" because as an every day user, the 11" was a little too small. I got mine overnighted and it will be here tomorrow for a little over $1300. A MBP would have a few more advantages like the cd drive, a better graphics card, and some better battery life, but I dont need that. Either way, I think both are very sufficient for average users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.