New Mac: transfer advice?

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a good strategy for transitioning to a new laptop without using the Migration Assistant?

I've just purchased a new MBP and now need to transfer files from my old MBP. Because I want to start with a fresh OS install, I don't want to use the Migration Assistant. In terms of "what files to transfer", the home folder seems like an obvious place to start. For example, what about the library in my home folder? And should I just do a fresh install of any programs I've been using?

I'll be grateful for any input. Thanks.

T

todd51

I would say the simplest way besides the MA, would be to put the old laptop in Target Disk Mode via FireWire. This way it will show up as an external hard drive on your new MBP and you can just drag and drop files where you want.

Or, you could also just burn some DVDs or get a couple of flash drives.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Todd. To be clear, I know how to physically move the content. My real question is regarding exactly what I should be thinking about moving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Because I want to start with a fresh OS install, I don't want to use the Migration Assistant. In terms of "what files to transfer", the home folder seems like an obvious place to start. For example, what about the library in my home folder?

So, instead of letting MA do the work for you, you want to do the same work manually? How is that an advantage? I'm curious. I've never done it myself, so I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't. I just don't understand the reasoning, perhaps because of something I'm missing.

T

todd51

Sorry for the late response. Yes, your Home folder would be a good place to start. That's where most of your user documents and other things are stored by default. Whenever I want to do a clean install, I also write down a list of Applications that I might also want to download/install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My method is to use MA but not to copy any 3rd party Applications but download fresh copies to the fresh OS. Unaccessed .plists etc take up little room in home folder and are there if the 3rd party app needs them. Only issues will be with Apps that use the MAC which means entering codes again but you will be faced with that anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.