• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac as DVR

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a way to use my new MacBook as a DVR? I love the TV show "House M.D.", but I work most of the time that it is on. I would love to be able to set my wonderful mac to record it, but I am not sure how to do it. The Macbook does not have an S-Vid connection, so a new switch like myself is kinda at a loss. I do not mind downloading any software that I need to, but I am looking to spend as little money as possible seeing as I am a poor college student. Thank you for your time and efforts in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a way to use my new MacBook as a DVR? I love the TV show "House M.D.", but I work most of the time that it is on. I would love to be able to set my wonderful mac to record it, but I am not sure how to do it. The Macbook does not have an S-Vid connection, so a new switch like myself is kinda at a loss. I do not mind downloading any software that I need to, but I am looking to spend as little money as possible seeing as I am a poor college student. Thank you for your time and efforts in advance!

I'm not sure, haven't used my mac for this yet, waiting for the mini (soon i hope) but check out the EyeTV - elgato site for options. I believe these are about the best option for what you are wanting to do.

The other route would be install parallels on your Macbook, then install Windows and try one of the many USB2.0 Windows solutions for recording TV.

check out "Windows TV Tuner USB 2.0" on google, and you'll be immediately overwhelmed. Sift through, and see what you find.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have heard good things about the elgato products when attempting to do this....
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
If you have a Firewire cable and a firewire-capable cable box, you're all set. The programs are free and you can rip down the pure mpeg stream right to your macbook. No conversion, no analog, no quality loss, VERY BIG files.

I've done this with my old TiPB and it does work pretty sweet.

The program will tell the cable box what channel to turn to, and then proceed to pull down the mpeg stream into a file.

And no, it's not illegal. Is a VCR illegal? Just don't go posting the file all over the internet / bittorrent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah.. the programs:

AVC Browser Enhanced
iRecord (the dvr program)
MPEG Streamclip (cut the streamed filed, save as mpeg)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"One more thing"

If your cable box does not have the firewire connection, you can request a new box that does have it. It's actually a law, they are required to exchange the old box with a FW box - for free - if you request it. That's what I had to do to get this to work.

Reaction score
where do you get the AVC software. I've looked a bit for it with no luck. This sounds interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That story is over 2 yrs old. But I remember it, as it is how I started to figure things out.
As the story states, some of the programs are available on the OSX xCode install CDs

OP
thesophist
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all of the help! I still have some specific questions. Right now I have a 27" Sanyo box TV (not HD and not flat screen) and my TV connection is through a pair of rabbit ears, haha. I am a poor college student. I am sure that a basic DVR program would work (like iRecord) but I still do not know how to connect the Mac to the TV. Thanks for the help and I hope to hear from you soon! Have a great day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't want to pay for something like elgato, you'll need an mpeg stream through firewire. I don't think rabbit ears will do that =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found that the AVC Browser is in cluded in the FirewireSDK package available on apple.com site. But it doesn't look like the app in the tutorial above. Is that a tweaked version? If so, where can you get it, the links are dead, and google searches basically just bring up the same link.

Thanks,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tutorial is over two years old. You probably downloaded a much updated version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I did. From 19 to 23 on SDK version

I can get the DVR to show up for output, but not input. Not sure why.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the cable box's firewire port connected to the laptop's firewire port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firewire is connected.

Double checked it and all.

Like I said the setup works in Windows, but I prefer not to use boot camp if I don't have too.

Would be nice if Parallels had firewire support.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember having to install xcode... and it may have something to do with allowing certain comm through firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have xcode installed, but I'll check the comm thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.