Removing a folder from the desktop but not into the trash.

Reaction score
How come when i drag the folder from desktop to sidebar, the folder is still on the desktop? How do i get rid of it?

My problem here is that i created a folder and filled it with videos on my desktop. Now, i want to clear my desktop thus wanting to put the videos folder into my sidebar in Finder. However, when i drag it to my finder, the folder icon on my desktop stays and i do not want it there. :( How do i get rid of it? HELP! :(

Reaction score
When you drag it to the sidebar, you're actually creating an alias to it in the sidebar. You need to open Finder and move it somewhere else (like Documents?) and then if you want it in the sidebar, drag it from there to sidebar.
The sidebar isn't an actual 'place' to keep folders so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
How come when i drag the folder from desktop to sidebar, the folder is still on the desktop? How do i get rid of it?

My problem here is that i created a folder and filled it with videos on my desktop. Now, i want to clear my desktop thus wanting to put the videos folder into my sidebar in Finder. However, when i drag it to my finder, the folder icon on my desktop stays and i do not want it there. :( How do i get rid of it? HELP! :(

The sidebar isn't a folder or a location on the drive. You can't move anything to it. It's for one-click access to common folders and places that you may want that one-click access to.

What you should do is move that folder to your Home folder. Just drag it from the desktop to that Home folder icon in the sidebar. It should then move. Once done, you can add it to the sidebar if you still please.

(Doh! cradom beat me by that much) :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.