Bad logic board?

Reaction score
lately my notebook has been getting really hot and just shutting down or sometimes when im dj'n with traktor, it'll just shut off. i've been reading up on similar issues and noticed that all the models that were produced the year i bought mine, have a defective logic board that was recalled but i'm just finding out about it now and no longer have any type of apple care coverage. would i be able to just buy a new logic board on the internet and fix my problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple may have a recall policy in place that overrides any Applecare.

Try contacting Apple first to see if there is a recall policy on that model first

OP
D
Reaction score
yup i tried that but they want me to pay for the call since my apple care is done. the macbook was bought way back in 2007 so i doubt they going to provide free support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It may not be a defective logic board, have you tried opening it up and just spraying the internals with compressed air to get any dust out

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i've been reading up on similar issues and noticed that all the models that were produced the year i bought mine, have a defective logic board that was recalled but i'm just finding out about it now and no longer have any type of apple care coverage.

Can you post a link for this?...I would love to read about it!

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
It may not be a defective logic board, have you tried opening it up and just spraying the internals with compressed air to get any dust out

ive opened it up before to replace my keyboard and did some cleaning but never used a can of compressed air, just pretty much dusted everything off with a small paint brush. but i will give that another try, thanks

Can you post a link for this?...I would love to read about it!

Thanks,

- Nick

nick, i don't remember exactly where i saw the post about the recall but it was another forum with a user having a similar issue and said he called apple and thats what they told him. ill see if i can find it again and ill post for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Can i use any cpu thermal paste or is there something specifically for macs?
Im wondering if the fan is working good. Is there a way to check?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.