Mysterious problem with Macbook

Reaction score
For several weeks, I've been having problems with my Macbook and I have absolutely no idea what the cause could be. No one I talk to seems to know, either. I suspect that either my hard drive is dying or my computer is on the fritz.

The problems began out of the blue. I turned it on one day, and everything was working as it should. I was emailing someone and wanted to upload an attachment to the email. After I selected the file to upload, my browser (Opera) froze, and I had to force quit the application. At this time, the fans on my computer kicked into overdrive and became obnoxiously loud. I re-opened Opera and tried again, but the same thing happened. I tried uploading the attachment using Firefox and Safari to no avail. Then I realized that even though I forced-quit Opera, my computer still thought it was running and was unresponsive. I opened up Activity Monitor, and the program didn't show up.

I can't upload any content onto the internet, and for a while that was my only problem. But recently, certain applications have stopped working (GarageBand and iPhoto) and when I try to open them, I run into the same problem as when I try to upload content online. I hooked up my camera to my computer, and I can't even upload files from there onto my computer.

My Macbook is nearly three years old, and about a year and a half ago I spilled milk on it, but I was quick to remove the battery and it's been functional with no real problems since then. The last time I had it looked at at my local Apple Store (post-milk spillage) no problems with the hard drive were detected. So I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on the issues I've been having. I'm not sure what kind of additional information/specs I might need to provide. But if anyone can help me out, I'd be very grateful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm not sure what kind of additional information/specs I might need to provide.

What model MB you have. What OS you are running and what you have tried and havnt.

Have you tried repairing permissions yet. Can sort out a lot of issues. And even though the spill ws 1 1/2 yrs ago, it could have finally had some affect on your machine...

And ohh welcome. Hope we can sort it for you :)

TM

OP
M
Reaction score
What model MB you have. What OS you are running and what you have tried and havnt.
I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a). Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It's a regular Macbook, not a Pro.

Have you tried repairing permissions yet. Can sort out a lot of issues. And even though the spill ws 1 1/2 yrs ago, it could have finally had some affect on your machine...

And ohh welcome. Hope we can sort it for you :)

TM
I haven't tried repairing permissions yet. I'll do that now. And thanks for the welcome.

EDIT: Just finished permissions repair process, and tried opening GarageBand. Nothing's changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.