leaving laptop on 24/7

Reaction score
can you damige a macbook pro by leaving it running 24/7. i tend to leave my pc on for very long periods of time without any problems. would it damige a macbook if it was left for a long time pluged in (2days or so)?
would it effect battery life or reduce the life of the product?

thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I also leave my iBook G4 running for a week or more at a time usually. The only time I tend to reboot is once it gets slow or low on memory. Can't comment on the battery, but my 4+ year old low-end laptop seems to be just fine and dandy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Someone download a lot? lol

I have always done this with my windows based NB's without any problems so I dont think the Mac would be any different.

OP
S
Reaction score
Someone download a lot? lol

I have always done this with my windows based NB's without any problems so I dont think the Mac would be any different.

you would of thort so. but no im just lazy and cant be botherd to wait for bootup time :Blushing:

good to know i can keep it running tho :) thanks for the info guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Mine's been on 24/7 99% of the time for the last two and a half years. I restart for updates and the few times it got turned off was when I upgraded hardware. I don't even turn it off when I go on cross country flights.

OP
S
Reaction score
Mine's been on 24/7 99% of the time for the last two and a half years. I restart for updates and the few times it got turned off was when I upgraded hardware. I don't even turn it off when I go on cross country flights.

wow, its a good thing mac's are reliable lol :D
hopfully have one in my hand by the end of the week :Smirk:

the only thing that is a little off is the vga adaptor, people say it only works with some monitors? anyone had problems with the vga adaptor? and how can this be fixed?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Ditto that. Well, except I did turn mine off the two times it's gone on an airflight.

wow, its a good thing mac's are reliable lol :D
hopfully have one in my hand by the end of the week :Smirk:

the only thing that is a little off is the vga adaptor, people say it only works with some monitors? anyone had problems with the vga adaptor? and how can this be fixed?

I wouldn't go try fixing something that you don't even know is broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you would of thort so. but no im just lazy and cant be botherd to wait for bootup time :Blushing:

good to know i can keep it running tho :) thanks for the info guys.

I also don't do any downloading aside from some neat mini-apps.
But if you don't want to wait for boot up time, Mac OS has a built-in schedule option in the power settings of system preferences. I use my computer as an alarm clock in the morning and i used to shut it down every night. I would have it automatically boot up at around 6am, then wake me up at 7am. Works great. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've tried it on a variety of monitors and have not come across any issues.

Reaction score
Everyone here who has run it 24/7 for years and gotten great performance, more power to you all!

I, on the otherhand, think maybe that my 24/7 use caused the downfall of my MBP which pretty much died on the operating table last week. Fan had problems, battery had problems, etc....maybe it had NOTHING to do with being used often but it seemed that when I would turn it off, it did help the performance of being a little snappier

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When i notice that my MBP seems to have slowed a tad then i do a power Off/On cycle and operate happily for another 3 or 4 days with Cmmd/Opt/Eject to sleep it at night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I only restart when required by software updates or booting into Windows to game. I do however put the machine to sleep when I'm not using it for a while to save electricity.

My oldest Mac is 4 years old and still running fine. I'll be sad when Snow Leopard comes out as Intel only and she finally will become outdated :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When i notice that my MBP seems to have slowed a tad then i do a power Off/On cycle and operate happily for another 3 or 4 days with Cmmd/Opt/Eject to sleep it at night.

Why not just shut the lid?

OP
S
Reaction score
I have my macbook pro 17" on about 20 hours a day. I don't think that it damages the computer itself. But i began to notice the pixels getting little fishy.
you have no screen saver? that woud be a need if your leaving it on for huge lengths on time even with moden screens imo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.