Maverick-Rosetta-Eudora

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nope. OS 10.6 was the last OS version to work with Rosetta (that's three OS versions before Mavericks).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm using 10.6.8, which I think is Snow Leopard. Eudora works on it without or with Rosetta.

I was told if I went up to Lion and installed Rosetta, Eudora would work. No Rosetta, no Eudora on Lion.

I did install Rosetta but didn't go to Lion because I had no need to.

Now I'm getting solicitations to install Maverick and wondering if I do, will that nix Eudora?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe there's some confusion with what Rosetta does. Rosetta is an app that allows the use of older apps that were written for the PowerPC computers (G3, G4, G5...the PowerPC architecture).

When Apple switched to Intel cpu's...Rosetta was a program that allowed PowerPC apps to run on a computer with an Intel cpu. OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) was the last OS version to support Rosetta.

So right now..if you have OS 10.6.8 installed...AND have Rosetta installed...you are able to run older PowerPC apps.. OS 10.6 is the last OS version that supports Rosetta (as I already mentioned in my earlier post).

Recap:

- Rosetta works with OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? = Yes
- Rosetta works with OS 10.7 (Lion)? = No
- Rosetta works with OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion)? = No
- Rosetta works with OS 10.9 (Mavericks)? = No

Are we on the "same page" now??:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm getting solicitations to install Maverick and wondering if I do, will that nix Eudora?

If you install Mavericks...you will:

- nix Rosetta
- nix Eudora (unless there is a newer version that is compatible with Mavericks)
- probably nix other older apps you currently have installed if Rosetta is needed to run them

* Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Stick With What Works

Whoever told me about Rosetta enabling Eudora to work on Lion must have been mistaken.

I'll stick with 10.6.8. Eudora works on it with or without Rosetta.

I have tons of stuff stored in Eudora. It got corrupted, so I stopped using it for emailing but needed to able to access the stored stuff.

I got a solicitation on my laptop (also 10.6.8) to install Rosetta, saw no harm, so I installed it. It uncorrupted Eudora.

With that success, I installed Rosetta on my desktop, thinking it would uncorrupt Eudora there too. It didn't.

I have no old apps that are dependent on Rosetta. I'll stick with 10.6.8 until I no longer need the stuff that's stored in Eudora.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Whoever told me about Rosetta enabling Eudora to work on Lion must have been mistaken.

I'll stick with 10.6.8. Eudora works on it with or without Rosetta.

I have tons of stuff stored in Eudora. It got corrupted, so I stopped using it for emailing but needed to able to access the stored stuff.

I got a solicitation on my laptop (also 10.6.8) to install Rosetta, saw no harm, so I installed it. It uncorrupted Eudora.

With that success, I installed Rosetta on my desktop, thinking it would uncorrupt Eudora there too. It didn't.

I have no old apps that are dependent on Rosetta. I'll stick with 10.6.8 until I no longer need the stuff that's stored in Eudora.

As long as you are tethering yourself to this, you are at a dead end when it comes to your OS and upgrade options. You won't be able to buy a new Mac. You can't get a fancy new iPhone and use iCloud to sync between that and your current Mac. You are effectively locked in time. Is Eudora unable to export what you need to access so it can be loaded in something more up-to-date?

Here's a link discussing how to import data from Eudora, in case this helps you out. Bear in mind that Thunderbird is no longer under development, BUT it is much more current that Eudora is.
Importing from Eudora (Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base)

Another option is to get Snow Leopard Server and run that in a virtual machine using VMWare or VirtualBox. You can access Eudora via the VM then no matter what OS is actually running on your Mac.

Reaction score
Will the Eudora email ap work with the Maverick OS if Rosetta has already been installed?

Rosetta cannot be added to any version of OS X after version 10.6. Lots of folks have tried to find a hack to re-enable Rosetta, but Apple removed all of the low-level hooks in the OS that Rosetta needed to work.

I don't think that Apple did this to be malicious. They licensed the technology for Rosetta from Transitive. It may be that after a certain number of years the license ran out. Also, the Transitive company was purchased by IBM, and IBM may simply not have wanted to license out the technology to Apple.

There are programs to migrate your archived e-mails from Eudora to Apple's Mail (which comes with OS X). To transfer Eudora data to Mail, you can use:

Emailchemy $30
Emailchemy - Convert, Export, Import, Migrate, Manage and Archive all your Email

E2A (free, $5 donation requested)
HabakukSoft - E2A - Eudora to Adressbook group importer
can import all of your Eudora contacts into Addressbook for use with Mail or any other e-mail program that uses Apple's Addressbook.

Eudora Mailbox Cleaner (donation requested)
Andreas Amann's Software*

Or, if you are on a budget, you can do it all for free using Thunderbird as an intermediary application. It includes all of the translators that are necessary. (That is, you can transfer everything to Thunderbird, and then transfer everything in Thunderbird to Mail.):

Thunderbird (free)
Mozilla Thunderbird

C

chas_m

I'd give you some reputation for that thoroughly complete answer, Mr. Singer, but you're the last person I gave rep to so I can't! :)

Reaction score
I'd give you some reputation for that thoroughly complete answer, Mr. Singer, but you're the last person I gave rep to so I can't! :)

Well, thanks for the thought anyway! ;)

(I have the same problem with regard to you!)

More about Rosetta...here's an interesting Web page:

"Rosetta does NOT run. Killed by OS kernel " (in German):
rosetta*läuft*NICHT*!*Im*Kernel*und*im*OS*Userspace*stillgelegt*--*lesen*! | Lion-Downloads*überschreiten*erste*Milli... | Mac & i News-Foren

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.