Thinking of buying an ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
Not wanting to sound facetious, but truly wanting to know what uses people are making of the ipad beyond gaming. I thinking of getting the 32gb 3G version.

I tried an ipad today at the Apple store and found it a lot of fun to play with. Fast and so easy to use. A fingerprint magnet of course. It's so much fun to toy with, I want to be able to justify buying it. I tried typing with it and found the keyboard letter placement to be awkward and differently oriented than on my MBP. Perhaps that would just take some time to get acclimated with. Also, it seems to be a bit heavy, but I really don't want to say anything negative about it.

Anyway, any creative uses you've made with the ipad so far would help in justifying a purchase. I know that sounds funny - buying something I don't really need, but I'm open to it anyway.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Why do you need us to help you justify the future purchase of an Ipad? If you wanna buy it, just buy it. Be a man :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I travel for work, so I'm definitely going to be taking with me on the road with me instead of my MBP because I don't do anything of casual computing, watching videos, and some gaming while I'm on the road.

I've just started using it for reading books and for a couple of magazines. It's pretty amazing. I've only downloaded free books that are classics I've always wanted to read but didn't want to buy.

Using it on the couch for Internet browsing while watching TV is really nice too. (what I'm doing right now) I never used my laptop on the couch: too hot, too heavy and not enough battery life. Ts, on the other hand is light and easy to use for browsing while sitting, laying down or however I want to use it.

Also, Cant wait to see how developers make it even more useful and fun in ways I haven't even thought of through development of third party apps.
I don't know if you're a formal typist or not, but I'm more of a hunt and peck type typist, and pretty good at it, and I can type pretty fast on this thing. Typing emails and a long post like this is no problem at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well these are the things the ipad can do for you. Not that you will use all of these features. But they are there for you.

1. Portable gaming device. But you said you want to see what else it can do too.

2. Portable light work station. With The iwork suite of apps plus many 3rd party apps you can get some serious work done on the ipad. Like letters, keynote presentations, spread sheets, and other things. It will not replace an imac, but for a portable device it's pretty good.

3. Portable entertainment device. Music, internet, video, books (In the US). ALl can be done with the ipad. And I'm sure it'd be even fun with a friend. I've watched a few movies on a PC laptop with a friend and it was nice but I think with the ipad it'd be even cooler. Sure it's no TV but for palces where tv is not available it's a nice solution.

4. As a portable remote desktop client. This topic here shows a bloke remotly accessing his windows desktop using VNC and SSH on his ipad. And he got a lot of work done with it that way. And he said it's a breeze to use VNC/SSH via the ipad to access your desktops remotely.

5. Many future potential uses for the ipad could include:
Your text book device - many education providers liek universities are seriously looking into having all of their student textbooks on ibooks.

Postal service/concierge/executive/waiter tablet. The ipad with the right software could replace all of the current cheap tablets these professions use. And from what I've read a lot of companies are seriously looking into this.

Device manual - One car manufacturer is not giving a paper copy of the a car's manual to their customers. They are giving (within the price of the car I'm sure) an ipad with the car's manual on it to their customers. And I'm sure many high end products like buildings and cars will in the future only have electronic documentation via products such as the ipad.

And there is probably more still.

But if you want to really justify the purchase of an ipad, just look at your daily habits. Is there any times you say now I with I had a device with me when I'm out of the house to do X things. And if yes and you'd do those X things a lot then an ipad would probably be for you. Just remember what the ipad's limitations are before you purchase it.

And if you don't have need for a portable device. Then you have to think would having an ipad make my life easier or more enjoyable. Ad the iapd video said "you don't fit yourself around the ipad, the ipad fits around you. So if you think the ipad would make your life easier or more enjoyable by having all that content at your fingertips then sure buy it.

But if you anwered no to both of those questions or you think you'd use it one then it'd be in the cupboard collecting dust for 11 months a year only taken out like once a year then the ipad is probably not for you.

C

chas_m

I'm planning on using mine PRIMARILY for four things:

1. Get me out from behind this desk all the time. One of my jobs is to moderate a forum (not this one), which means monitoring it all the time. An iPad will let me handled *everything* I need to do in that regard without a) lugging around a heavier laptop and b) finding a place and time to sit down, set up and get to work.

2. Use pay-as-you-go 3G when I'm in the US. Wow, I just realised I'll actually be free to stay at ANY hotel I want to now instead of just those that have wireless internet! I'll be able to use GPS or listen to internet radio in my car as I travel! And all for a very reasonable fee that's not tied to a contract!

3. Presentations. I do a lot of them. The iPad lets me both create AND give presentations (there's a way to connect the iPad to a projector). It's a lot lighter than a laptop and I can use it in my coach seat! A miracle.

4. Casual reader and media player at home. Can relax in a comfy chair, sofa or even bed with this thing, not so much with a laptop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll find one big drawback, at least if it's a vB forum. If you need to edit a post, there is no scroll function "at all" in the message box. Ever. You will not have access to the full contents of a lengthy post, either during it's creation or when attempting to edit.

Edit:
Wouldn't you know, as soon as I make this post I figure it out after a week of trying. I'll make a new thread as surely I won't be the last that couldn't figure it out. re-edit: Link for the how to.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You'll find one big drawback, at least if it's a vB forum. If you need to edit a post, there is no scroll function "at all" in the message box. Ever. You will not have access to the full contents of a lengthy post, either during it's creation or when attempting to edit.

I have a feeling you missed my question in another thread. I was asking what the VB editing issues were. Either that or I missed your reply which with me is possible also! :D

Anyway thanks for the heads up. Maybe an upgrade to Safari down the road will fix that. I plan the same thing when I can get my iPad. Moderating. So much easier then sitting behind a desk! :D

Also just for the record, I have issues with VB in Safari for Windows clicking on say Thread Tools at the top and especially Quick Links and nothing drops down. Just in the Windows version of Safari. Could you try that on your iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
One use I can think of - each year on the couple of nice sunny days which constitute a UK Summer, I think of sitting out in the garden with a computer.

The iMac or Win7 boxes are obviously not going out there, so I could use the laptop (Win7 not Mac) or maybe a netbook. The problem with those is the laptop needs a power lead if I try to use it for any length of time, which I don't want to drag across wet grass, and the netbook is just too small and limited.

The iPad sounds perfect - carry it out with me, use it for hours without needing the power lead and if it rains, carry it back inside.

Ideal. :)

A second use - I tend to spend quite a lot of time reading in the small room which doesn't have any power sockets, if you get my meaning. Books are fine there, but the laptop is too heavy and needs a power supply. Again, the iPad should be perfect for that.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
Thanks to all so far for these wonderful, help filled answers. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I use it as my main laptop.

But, it's not a laptop. Laptop's have built in USB ports, ethernet ports and can run a full OS and real programs, not apps. I find it so strange when people say they can't use their MacBooks on their couch now that the iPad has arrived. Its nonsense. Back when MacBooks or MBP's were the biggest thing, everybody would say the opposite, how nice it is to lounge on their couch while browsing, working or listening to music etc..

I've got my 15" on my lap right now, on the couch and I'm laying down fully. I'm also a formal typist, and have no problem using it this way. It's on a cooling pad, so it isn't on my lap directly and gets plenty of air flow.

I just think that people love to make excuses to justify needing the newest gadgets. Don't make excuses. Just man up and say that you want it because it's cool.. not because you really need it. A Macbook works perfectly well for everything you'd need and is just as convenient as an iPad, with tons more power.

That said, I can actually find a reason to get an iPad, though I won't until at least the second gen, if they put a camera in it etc.. My reason to get one would be to show off my photography portfolio. While yes, I can do this with my MacBook Pro, if I'm meeting someone, I can just press the button and tap the screen and have my photos show up on a nice sized vibrant screen which rotates. In this case, I think it would be nicer than opening up a clam shell laptop. Could be good for video presentations, too.

On the other side of things, it isn't really necessary. I can do the former, and open up my MacBook Pro and show my portfolio by going to a site like SmugMug or Zenfolio or my Blog site. More steps involved, but if I know I'm meeting someone, all that will be set up before hand and ready to go. The iPad would be better for spontaneous meetings or networking.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore

I just think that people love to make excuses to justify needing the newest gadgets. Don't make excuses. Just man up and say that you want it because it's cool.. not because you really need it. A Macbook works perfectly well for everything you'd need and is just as convenient as an iPad, with tons more power.
Doug
I partially agree with this, when push comes to shove we buy things because we perceive we have a need, which is of course relative. Anyways, that being said your macbook pro is off the charts sick but is also a solid 1000 dollars more. That is quite a price to pay for a USB port....=)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Our home now has 3 every one loves the iPad because it's fast and easy to check mail or the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To Doug b:

I agree with you 100%. But all those notebook features comes with a notebook pricetag. (Not netbooks though as I don't consider them really that good as computers). Sure the ipad is not a notebook but as a replacement one at a pinch it's a very good replacement at the current price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this review from Gizmodo is a good read when trying to decide on whether or not to get one. A bit lengthy, but good. Basically he points out that you can't really review this device based on it's features alone.

"How and where you'll use the iPad are of the essence"

Apple iPad Review - ipad review - Gizmodo

S

SpinningCompass

Not wanting to sound facetious, but truly wanting to know what uses people are making of the ipad beyond gaming. I thinking of getting the 32gb 3G version.
I bought my girlfriend an iPad to put an end to her borrowing of my MBP. It worked! Now she applies for jobs, updates her Facebook, enjoys Youtube, and researches colleges, all with her iPad. Her only complaint is that it won't play movies streamed from the AppleTV.

Reaction score
I was on the fence for a little while. I had friends and family tell me it was silly and that the iPad was not much more than a toy. So I go by my local best buy last night just to look at it again. I had went to look at them once before but they were sold out except for one 64gig. Out of my price range, I was in the market for a 16gig. So I looked into the stock case and there was just one lonely iPad in the case.

I figured owell it's that 64 gig which I can't afford. But I look closer and it is a 16...but the label is funny. It's an open box and instead of being 499 it's marked down to 450! Sold!

The sales rep told me the woman who bought it returned it because she thought it was a "computer" and that she wanted 3G. I know what this is and I dont need 3G. I love this thing..been using it non stop since last night with only the charge it had when I powered it up..still have 25 percent left.

Today everyone I know wants me to bring it over so they can try it. Surprise surprise... Moral of the story. You want it, buy it. You know what this is and you know you want it. If it makes you happy that's all that matters. Some people buy clothes, cars, jewelry, or whatever. We buy and love gadgets...do it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I am a sucker for gadgets. I have an iPhone, an iTouch, about 8 other iPods, an iMac, 6 other computers, about 6 netbooks, 6 Palm devices, 9 or 10 other mobile phones, 3 ebook readers, etc.

I resisted the iPhone until the 3G and have not upgraded to a 3GS and I settled for a 20" iMac.

My head tells me either I don't need an iPad or to wait for the Mark II.

My heart tells me to go and buy one as soon as they reach the UK.

Not sure if I will even wait for the 3G although I really do need it to be a 3G model, but I am pretty sure I will be buying one. So I don't need one - so what? We only live once. Make the most of it. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I ordered one of the 3G models as soon as I could. For me the iPad will take over many of the functions I have used Palm PDAs and smart phones to do. I could use an iPhone but I think I will prefer the larger screen since I find most phone screens too small to work with comfortably. I will certainly find web surfing better on the iPad than a phone.

One thing to consider for some people if they will be using it away from home is the kind of net speed you will get. Not sure i will have 3G speed in my area but I don'r have to do a lot of web surfing I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.