Remote with Refurbs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Do you still get the remote with Refurbished Macbooks? How about manual and system cds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Do you still get the remote with Refurbished Macbooks? How about manual and system cds?

It will come with everything a new macbook would come with.. so yes it will come with a remote/manual/system cds etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
According to Apple's refirb listing for a MBP:

Refurbished MacBook Pro
- MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug and power cord
- Lithium-polymer battery
- Apple Remote
- DVI to VGA adapter
- Install/restore DVDs
- Printed and electronic documentation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Hello - I just bought a refurb - maybe a week ago and I got everything I'd expect. In fact I got more than I'd expect as they sent me one with extra RAM in it.

Only 2 things that surprised me - one it came in a brown box - this was not a big deal as the box lives in the roof space and the other surprise - Apple didn't remove the account as setup by the previous owner - but this was not hard to resolve - a refurb MacBook is a good buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you get a couple more things with the MBP - I didn't get a DVI-VGA adaptor - but don't think I was expecting that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Sounds like you get a couple more things with the MBP - I didn't get a DVI-VGA adaptor - but don't think I was expecting that anyway.
that comes standard with mbp's

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies - I just had a last moment panic there but it's alright now. Phew!
Just so you know, I DID check on the Apple Refurb Store but on the UK page it doesn't specify so I thought I'd better just check.

That's Ok I wasn't expecting one too anyway. It sounds like its got everything that I'm expecting.

BTW, @RNDdave, did you get a Black Macbook too? I heard that it comes with white charger and remote. How does it look? You like the matte surface?

I just got told that there's a 'pretty good chance' that it's gonna be delivered tomorrow! YAY!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies - I just had a last moment panic there but it's alright now. Phew!
Just so you know, I DID check on the Apple Refurb Store but on the UK page it doesn't specify so I thought I'd better just check.

That's Ok I wasn't expecting one too anyway. It sounds like its got everything that I'm expecting.

BTW, @RNDdave, did you get a Black Macbook too? I heard that it comes with white charger and remote. How does it look? You like the matte surface?

I just got told that there's a 'pretty good chance' that it's gonna be delivered tomorrow! YAY!!!!

Afraid not; I went for the White one - and I love it - the black one is pretty nice as well like - in an ideal world - I'd have both - if that world was truly ideal then no doubt I'd be able to type/use both laptops at the same time.

Ah well - I live in hope.

Anyway - no the BlackBook does not come with Black accessories - and me being a little sad like I am - decided I wanted my iPod and MacBook to be similar so bought the white variants of both.

I don't think having white accessories with a black macbook is a bad thing - the striking colours look good together.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Afraid not; I went for the White one - and I love it - the black one is pretty nice as well like - in an ideal world - I'd have both - if that world was truly ideal then no doubt I'd be able to type/use both laptops at the same time.

Ah well - I live in hope.

Anyway - no the BlackBook does not come with Black accessories - and me being a little sad like I am - decided I wanted my iPod and MacBook to be similar so bought the white variants of both.

I don't think having white accessories with a black macbook is a bad thing - the striking colours look good together.

I have a feeling the machine you received did not actually go through the refurbishment process. I also purchased a refurb unit (in my case, a MacBook Pro). Although it did come in a plain, brown box, all of the accessories were included and everything was in like-new condition. The hard disk had a clean install and in fact, I had to go through part of the setup process. I'd imagine that yours was mistakenly repacked without the benefit of actually being refurbished. I would recommend bringing this up with Apple support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The listing on the refurb site will show you exactly what is included with each package. When you click on the "more info" link, it gives you a breakdown of everything included.
If something isn't listed and you think it should be or want to know more info, then give Apple a call and make sure you have the exact listing in front of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a feeling the machine you received did not actually go through the refurbishment process. I also purchased a refurb unit (in my case, a MacBook Pro). Although it did come in a plain, brown box, all of the accessories were included and everything was in like-new condition. The hard disk had a clean install and in fact, I had to go through part of the setup process. I'd imagine that yours was mistakenly repacked without the benefit of actually being refurbished. I would recommend bringing this up with Apple support.

First: off thanks for you comments

Second: I should point out that I did get all brand new accessories - or accessories that were in very good condition and certainly looked new.

Third: I was quite surprised even a little disappointed when my MacBook arrived and had not been set in a fresh configuration - however; as I later found out - Apple sent me a refurb which actually contained twice as much RAM as they'd advertised it with - so I prob wont be taking this up with Apple :D I think a previous owners account name/password in return for and extra Gig of RAM was a fair trade off :)

Refurbs are a good buy in my opinion - the money I saved allowed me to seriously consider the 30GB iPod I now own as well :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
RnDave, I know you are happy about getting more ram than advertised, but if your macbook still had the old acct on it, I would be a little worried. Refurbs are supposed to come in "factory" condition. Meaning totally zeroed out hard-drive. I got one and had to go through the entire set-up process. If I were you, I may be a little worried that the macbook wasn't totally gone over by apple techs. they may have missed fixing the reason it was refurbished to begin with along with missing the excess ram and the old user acct. You may have a great totally fixed machine, but then again I would be worried that the techs missed the reason it was a refurb to begin with and I would worry about problems later on. P.S. I actually had my wife mad at me for a day when my macbook arrived. this thing was FLAWLESS and she thought I spent more cash and got a new one. I had to prove to her it was used by showing her the receipt. Apple does an awesome job restoring their refurbs to pristine condition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah; I never thought of it like that.

Good point - so is this something I should email them about? I guess if I give them the serial number or something they can tell what did or did not happen right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worth a try RNDave. No telling what else they missed. Maybe that was it, maybe not. I would at least be a little concerned.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
....Anyway - no the BlackBook does not come with Black accessories - and me being a little sad like I am - decided I wanted my iPod and MacBook to be similar so bought the white variants of both.

Well in fact, the fact that I already have a black Video Ipod was a crucial factor in my decision! And hey, its not sad! Its nice to have a matching color ipod-macbook set. Apple would want it no other way :D.

The listing on the refurb site will show you exactly what is included with each package. When you click on the "more info" link, it gives you a breakdown of everything included.
If something isn't listed and you think it should be or want to know more info, then give Apple a call and make sure you have the exact listing in front of you.

This is the page I was directed to when I clicked on "More Info". I'm browsing the UK store. I had a quick check on the US site and it did seem more detailed??

Yeah; I never thought of it like that.

Good point - so is this something I should email them about? I guess if I give them the serial number or something they can tell what did or did not happen right?

I wouldn't mate. If you did they might ask to take it back - you've always got the 1 Year warranty that comes with it. I'm sure if it's got something wrong with it you'd find out about it within that year long period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another good point...

I have to be honest if this thing was broken - they must have fixed it now - if not then maybe the ex user just didn't like it or something as it does seem rock solid so far (touching all the wood I can find).

As pointed out - I do still have that 12 months warranty. AND once I'm back in work (slow going at the minute :( ) I'll be looking to buy the extended cover as well.

Oh StevenH when you click on the link that takes you to the refurb section of the online store you should see one of the first paragraphs has a link: refurbishment process which includes the following info:

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
* is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
* is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
* is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc.).
* includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
* is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
* is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
* is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
* is repacked in special packaging (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc. that originally shipped with the unit).

I thought I'd read it somewhere when looking for my own purchase. Although not explicitly mentioned; I'd take that as including the remote as that would have been one of the thing originally shipped with the unit.

I notice it doesn't necessarily mention a 'clean HDD' and Netty4mac also gave me this info:

I have heard of refurbs still having a user account on them when received by the new owner. Don't let that get you down! ...
so maybe it's not so uncommon.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave. I did browse that through that prior to purchasing. I guess I should pay more attention! Thanks anyway mate.

As pointed out - I do still have that 12 months warranty. AND once I'm back in work (slow going at the minute :( ) I'll be looking to buy the extended cover as well.

I considered getting that too but you think its really worth it? Or maybe its just me being cheap again after spending all my reserved budget on one item!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love the part stating "special packaging". Meaning a plain brown box and a plastic bag it's wrapped in, lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave. I did browse that through that prior to purchasing. I guess I should pay more attention! Thanks anyway mate.

I considered getting that too but you think its really worth it? Or maybe its just me being cheap again after spending all my reserved budget on one item!

:) yeah - you can never tell can you - I know these things seem kind of expensive - yes I know people say similar specs = similar price - but when you see your mates with Vista running laptops that might cost up to half of what these macbooks cost - it stings little.

I love my MacBook and if I have the money to spare then I'll get the extra cover just to be 'safe'.

I really wish I could just buy 1 extra years worth as I rarely keep a laptop for longer than 2 years.

So you'll have to keep us informed when the MacBook arrives - maybe post some pics in the Official Setup Thread.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know these things seem kind of expensive - yes I know people say similar specs = similar price - but when you see your mates with Vista running laptops that might cost up to half of what these macbooks cost - it stings little.

I love my MacBook and if I have the money to spare then I'll get the extra cover just to be 'safe'.

I really wish I could just buy 1 extra years worth as I rarely keep a laptop for longer than 2 years.

I don't actually consider them expensive at all, especially these refurbished ones which people are saying are of about the same build quality as new ones. I really appreciate the thought given to the Macbook's build and design - most definitely worth paying extra for. (if you don't know I had a 'trial' when I borrow my gfs one for a week or so - that's how long(or short) it takes for you to fall in love with a Mac!

With regards to the AppleCare Protection Plan I'm just surprised that so many people have opted for it. I always read that Macs are reliable in hardware and have excellent build quality. Plus, if you rarely keep a laptop for longer than 2 years its not worth paying for a 3 year plan if you have a 1 year hardware warranty. I know that you're also paying for technical support but heck, you've got this forum!

So you'll have to keep us informed when the MacBook arrives - maybe post some pics in the Official Setup Thread.

Yup I definitely will..... if I can manage to pull myself away from it! Its officially in the post! Fingers crossed it arrives prompto tomorrow! Thanks for again for helping out a switcher - made things a lot easier for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.