Macbook to LCD TV causing kernel panics

Reaction score
Macbook 2.1

Intel Core 2 Duo

OSx 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

First time posting in Macforums, but have noticed that every time I google a problem with my macbook, this website is where I always find the answer. Couldn't find an aswer to this issue when googling, so thought I'd register & c if anyof Mac-geniuses here might be able to help.

I've had my macbook for almost 5 years, first Mac I ever purchased, and have told EVERYBODY since then how I've never had one single problem with it, virus, or anything. My desktop PC would crash about every 6 months prior to getting my Macbook & the employee at Best Buy talked me into getting a Mac. I've been EXTREMELY satisified in every way with it until now.

I finally bought a mini-dvi to hdmi cord to hook up my 70' Sony Bravia as a secondary display, but ever since hooking it up I'm getting constant kernel panics where I'm forced to restart my computer. This happens atleast 10 times a day and sometimes as much as every 10 minutes. It's not the TV as I have the same problem connecting to my 44' Philips TV. Is there any fix to this? Or am I just constrained to only using the Macbook screen connected to my laptop? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Ty

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow, guess I was wrong about this site, every issue I've found on google has been easily solved, but I cant even get anyone to view this.

Reaction score
I'm viewing it. Give the people here a brake.

Fact is you have a 5 year old computer. In those 5 years have you ever cleaned it out? Like cleaniing out the dust that accumulates in and around the fans?
Have you ever re-installed the operating system. Every computer collects junk files over time. Some of them may be causing the computer to run harder then it would with a clean/fresh install of the OS.

I suspect the your major problem is the system is working very hard driving that big screen TV along with it not breathing very well from the years of dust collected in and around the fans. And that the hard drive in the system, at 5 years old, is at it's End Of Life point (that is if you have never changed it out for a new hard drive). All those factors put together and that is what is causing the Kernel Panics.

First thing to do is clean the dust out. Some compressed air will do it but it would be better to take it apart, take the bottom off, so you can actually get to the fans and the radiators and do a thorough job of it.

Next, if you are up for it, ir to wipe the drive, After you have saved all your personal files, and re-install the OS clean then all the programs you now use, leaving out all the ones that you don't use any more.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow, guess I was wrong about this site, every issue I've found on google has been easily solved, but I cant even get anyone to view this.

You just have to be patient and wait for replies. The folks who post in these forums are volunteers helping each other not paid technical support.

You received a good suggestion above from member "Shootist" which I agree with. Try what he suggested first and let us know how it went.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.