Going to need an Iphone Genius to Help Me Out w/ This. HOW 2 BACKUP 100% of My Data??

Reaction score
Ive asked this question on multiple forums and nobody seems to know how..

how can i back up 100% of the data on my iphone ONTO my computer?

i want all the pictures ive taken on my iphone, all the data ive entered in my apps (ie in my notepad, "todo list" apps) , music, all my voice memos, contacts, apps, every single thing on my phone i want to back it up to my computer because i am trading in my old phone for a new one and need to transfer all data...

(just fyi i do not have music on my itunes...i deleted the music from itunes because all the music i have on my phone are from various CD's of mine. i already have the CDs so i did not want to hog up space by keeping files of them on my computer on itunes so i wiped it clean. yes i could just reload all my music one by one cd by cd, but i would prefer that i just have it all in one place included with the backup)

How can i do this? i was told a simple "back up" via itunes would only back up a few select things and not 100%

any1 who can help ...i would really really appreciate it thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try this - connect by USB to computer and when iPhone shows in iTunes right click for this;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Actually he was told correctly. It won't copy 100% of his phone and especially it won't copy the data saved in his apps (downloaded apps).

From Apple:
If restoring from an iTunes backup, your device settings, downloaded applications, audio, video, and photo contents will re-sync to the device because the "Sync" option under the respective tabs will be checked in iTunes when restoring from a backup. If you choose to restore your device as a new user, downloaded applications, audio, video, and photo content will not be synced until you select the "Sync" option in iTunes under each tab.

And if you don't have your music in iTunes in the library and ONLY on your phone, it won't be included in the backup.

So you should sync your Apps to iTunes and then you will need an Application like DiskAid to copy all of you music to your Mac. THEN run the backup from iTunes to backup your phones Setting, Contacts, Photos etc.

Take a look here for more information:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

Hope it helps,

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I'm not sure if it copies the contents of your Notes app. But it definately copies Calender.

-Ben

OP
M
Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure if it copies the contents of your Notes app. But it definately copies Calender.

-Ben

ok..so how can i make it so that it copies the contents of my notes and the data in downloaded apps??? i have some pretty important data in my "Todo list" app

r u saying that wont transfer onto my backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok..so how can i make it so that it copies the contents of my notes and the data in downloaded apps??? i have some pretty important data in my "Todo list" app

r u saying that wont transfer onto my backup?

The backup won't save ANY data in your Apps that you have downloaded from the AppStore. So things like all high-scores in your games and any other information you have saved in any other apps downloaded from the AppStore will be lost.

If you have a ToDoList app, you will need to manually save the contents by either writing them down on a peice of paper or in iWorks or Word.

Another option would be to take a screen shot of every ToDoList entry on your iPhone by clicking the Sleep button AND the Home button ONCE at the same time. Then when you load the app back onto your new iPhone, you can refer to the pictures to enter them bak in. Just a thought.

Regards,

-Ben

OP
M
Reaction score
The backup won't save ANY data in your Apps that you have downloaded from the AppStore. So things like all high-scores in your games and any other information you have saved in any other apps downloaded from the AppStore will be lost.

If you have a ToDoList app, you will need to manually save the contents by either writing them down on a peice of paper or in iWorks or Word.

Another option would be to take a screen shot of every ToDoList entry on your iPhone by clicking the Sleep button AND the Home button ONCE at the same time. Then when you load the app back onto your new iPhone, you can refer to the pictures to enter them bak in. Just a thought.

Regards,

-Ben

yes i was thikning of doing the whole picture thing but i find it pretty impractical that apple would not let us back up data in downloaded apps..

so theres no way around it?

-edit- i found this article and it says that it does back up downloaded data?

"
iPhone and iPod touch: About backups

With iPhone 2.0 and later

* Managed Configurations/Profiles
* List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
* Microsoft Exchange account configurations
* Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings
* App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder)."

^ is that inaccurate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sraight from the Apple website:

iTunes will back up the following information:

With iPhone OS 1.1 and later

* Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, and currently open pages
* Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps
* Application settings, preferences, and data
* Address Book and Address Book favorites
* Calendar accounts
* Wallpapers
* Notes
* Call history
* Mail accounts
* YouTube bookmarks
* SMS messages
* Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections)
* Camera roll (photos and screen shots taken by the iPhone)
* Voicemail token (this is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card.)
* Web clips
* Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences)
* Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup)
* Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. The keychain can only be restored from backup to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device, you will need to fill in these passwords again.)

With iPhone 2.0 and later

* Managed Configurations/Profiles
* List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
* Microsoft Exchange account configurations
* Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings
* App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).

With iPhone 3.0 and later

* Videos in camera roll
* Per app preferences allowing use of location services
* Offline web application cache/database
* Voice memos
* Autofill for web pages
* Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified
* Web sites approved to get the location of the device
* In-app purchases

New with iPhone 3.1

* Videos in the camera roll that are 2 GB or larger are not backed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So yeah it does. I wasn't aware of that myself. It does copy the application data. Mmmm strange.I'm not sure why it didn't work for me.

So that is all the information you need. Now back up and do what you have to do.

I hope it all made sense. Good luck and if you have any other questions, just ask.

-Ben

Reaction score
Sorry to barge your thread - but I am trying to do something similar - iphone 3GS was originally synced to old mac which is now not working. Got a new MBP so need to transfer all the calendar info from iphone to new mac - can someone explain in simple terms how to do this without wiping clean the iphone calendar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As this has nothing to do with this thread, I suggest you search Google and Mac-Forums for an already answered problem or start your own thread. :)

This thread is about a restoring an iPhones firmware problem. You need help with syncing calendar objects to a new Mac.

Since your old Mac with the iTune Library data stored on it isn't working, you may have run out of luck (correct me if I'm wrong any iTunes geniuses out there). But if you are able to remove your HDD from the old Mac and get access to it's files you can copy your old iTunes library data to your new machine.

However, take a look here:

Syncing an iPhone with a new Mac without hassles | Racker Hacker

or here:

How to Transfer iTunes Library to Another Computer - iTunes Transfer

All the best,

-Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.