• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Interestingly, I've carried almost every day for 27 years. I've never had to draw my gun on another person. . . ..

I'm not anti-gun; I have owned several through the years. My favorite was a Ruger Single-action 41 Magnum.

I'm not anti concealed carry. I don't have a permit (or a pistol at the moment) mainly because I no longer have a convenient place to shoot one.

I'm not anti self defense. If anyone ever attacked my family or anyone else unprovoked in my presence and I had the wherewithal I would have zero compunction about using any level of force neccessary.

However, I find the statement I quoted above fascinating. The overwhelming majority of us will never (no statistics here, just my life experience which may not represent yours) find ourselves in a position in daily life where we would need to draw on another person. I differentiate here from home defense, because break-ins are all too common; my statement applies to walking or driving around in public (which is how I read your statement).

In a somewhat related thought, I studied Martial Arts for many years (taught Karate and self defense for a while in my younger days) but I have never thrown a punch or kick in anger (or really needed to).

Bottomline: I absolutely believe in prudence. I have a smoke detector in my home and a portable fire extinguisher as well as insurance plus a yearly contribution to our local volunteer fire department, but I never expect to need their services.

So, while I believe in being prepared, I am somewhat surprised by my "carrying" friends' (and I have several) expectation that they will encounter violence directed against them.

I think I blame the media's constant trumpeting of every isolated event.

Anyway, not really a rant, more of a musing and not at all intended as criticism.

Reaction score
Do you still carry the same J frame you received 27 years ago? If so, congrats! That's a keeper.

Wish I did! Unfortunately I traded it back when I was in my 20's.
mathews_wall.gif

What I do have, though, that is even more meaningful to me is my Dad's service revolver that he carried for more almost 20 years. Even has the dept logo on it. They switched to Glock 9mm's the last few years he was on the department. He gave this to me shortly before he died of cancer just a few years back. Though I was never allowed to shoot this gun as a teen b/c it was dept issue, I cleaned & reloaded it probably a hundred times or more while in high school. He replaced grips pretty regularly and had the sights redone a time or two, but it's in pristine condition!
mathews_thumbsup.gif

dads_service_357.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not anti-gun; I have owned several through the years. My favorite was a Ruger Single-action 41 Magnum.

I'm not anti concealed carry. I don't have a permit (or a pistol at the moment) mainly because I no longer have a convenient place to shoot one.

I'm not anti self defense. If anyone ever attacked my family or anyone else unprovoked in my presence and I had the wherewithal I would have zero compunction about using any level of force neccessary.

However, I find the statement I quoted above fascinating. The overwhelming majority of us will never (no statistics here, just my life experience which may not represent yours) find ourselves in a position in daily life where we would need to draw on another person. I differentiate here from home defense, because break-ins are all too common; my statement applies to walking or driving around in public (which is how I read your statement).

In a somewhat related thought, I studied Martial Arts for many years (taught Karate and self defense for a while in my younger days) but I have never thrown a punch or kick in anger (or really needed to).

Bottomline: I absolutely believe in prudence. I have a smoke detector in my home and a portable fire extinguisher as well as insurance plus a yearly contribution to our local volunteer fire department, but I never expect to need their services.

So, while I believe in being prepared, I am somewhat surprised by my "carrying" friends' (and I have several) expectation that they will encounter violence directed against them.

I think I blame the media's constant trumpeting of every isolated event.

Anyway, not really a rant, more of a musing and not at all intended as criticism.

Absolutely no insult taken. I think your allusion to a fire detector is quite appropriate. I do not expect that a fire WILL occur in my home. I take every precaution to avoid them. I don't allow clutter or drapes, etc. to surround outlets. I replace worn cords. I have fault protected outlets throughout the house. I don't leave the iron on, etc.

But I do expect that a fire COULD occur, so I have a smoke detectors on each floor and in each bedroom, and three fire extinguishers located in accessible places throughout the house. One in the kitchen, one in the garage, and one in the upstairs hallway closet accessible by all three bedrooms.

That's how I look at my carry weapon. I don't sit there and view everyone suspiciously. I can't imagine living like that. I like people. I enjoy meeting and being with people. I'm very much a social person. But I do stay attentive to what's going on around me when Im in public places like the mall or wal-mart or in a restaurant. When the option exists, I almost always look for a seat in public places where I have a wide field of view that offers the fewest 'surprise' appearances by someone threatening harm (Thanks, Dad! That's the one paranoia tendency he DID teach me! LOL). And, I carry a weapon almost everywhere that I can legally. I don't expect a threat WILL come, but I do realize one COULD come at any time. And I know that a properly used gun in the hands of someone who understands it's use and limits is a great means of protection and often times a deterrent.

I also realize (and am very appreciative to my officer/dad for teaching me this!) that the police-- as great as most are at what they do-- are primarily a reactive unit. They typically respond to things; they rarely prevent bad things or protect people-- even though their PR logo on the side of the car likely says to PROTECT and to serve. They really can't. How many women have been battered or even killed by men on whom they've served restraining orders? More than we could number. Even when they KNOW there's potential for harm, they simply can't be where I am at all times when a threat could arise. I don't blame them for that; it's simple reality. Our tax rate could never be high enough to pay enough people to offer than kind of protection. But I'm also not going to depend on them being where they can't be. Being out and about is truly no different that being at home at night in that regard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We have many friends from my fathers work that live in Texas, and they consistently say 2 things:
1- An incident will occur only once. Don't live to regret not being prepared.
2- Some places have their own ways. Many people see/hear about some place in the U.S. that has a large population of concealed weapons, and automatically overgeneralize the whole U.S. as being like that. It's not true.

We go fishing/camping and sometimes hunting up in Michigan with them, and the conversation of guns always comes up. To me, it's a conversation that I will take part in, but it is similar to religion or Mac/Windows arguments. There are sides that will never meet in the middle.

I will always love guns. The mechanics and power of a gun always impress me, but with great power comes great responsibility. I don't worry about a large population that has caries a concealed weapon. I worry about the one person that is willing to go out of his way to do harm with a gun. And for that, I'm grateful to know that we can protect each other if need be.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I do stay attentive to what's going on around me when Im in public places like the mall or wal-mart or in a restaurant. When the option exists, I almost always look for a seat in public places where I have a wide field of view that offers the fewest 'surprise' appearances by someone threatening harm (Thanks, Dad! That's the one paranoia tendency he DID teach me! LOL). . . ..

Mine is probably from too many Westerns as a kid, but I do this too. In fact, I will almost refuse to eat in a restaurant if I can't find suitable seating.

I'm not paranoid (at least not that I know) but can't get comfortable in a corner with my back to everyone.

I also agree with most of your points. Honestly, I would almost rather see us go back to the Wild West days sometimes. Forget concealed carry--get a license and strap to your waist for all to see.

Anyway no intent to hijack the thread . . . .. carry on. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will always love guns. The mechanics and power of a gun always impress me, but with great power comes great responsibility. I don't worry about a large population that has caries a concealed weapon. I worry about the one person that is willing to go out of his way to do harm with a gun. And for that, I'm grateful to know that we can protect each other if need be.

I agree totally; what sparked my response was what I read (maybe incorrectly) as surprise that it had so far not been neccessary to use the concealed weapon for self defense.

Again, I blame the media for fueling an expectation of imminent danger from a thousand sources (from drinking water to meteors falling on your head).

Be prudent, be prepared, but most of us (I hope and believe) will never actually need that insurance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I had to explain to my aunt that banning guns will not keep the criminal gun free they don't go to your local firearms dealer and fill out any paper work so having a gun
or two in your home at least gives you a fighting chance. I taught the wife how to use
my Glock 17 it has been the best pistol I ever owned so far and I have had many.
I use to have a S&W 44mag but that was to much for home defense especially if you
ever saw what it does to an engine block with hollow points it doesn't just stop at the first cast-iron wall in the block so it made me think the possibility of hitting a neighbor after it passed through a criminal weighed to heavy on me.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use to have a S&W 44mag but that was to much for home defense especially if you
ever saw what it does to an engine block with hollow points it doesn't just stop at the first cast-iron wall in the block so it made me think the possibility of hitting a neighbor after it passed through a criminal weighed to heavy on me.

That was part of the reason for getting rid of my 41 Magnum (that and it really wasn't a lot of fun for plinking tin cans). I intended to replace it with something lighter but never got around to it, plus no place close to shoot one anymore.

I keep a pair of Nunchuks beside the bed for self defense--not as good as a pistol, but it is better than nothing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This thread has drifted into a gun control debate on a number of occasions now, but that's not what the topic is. Let's keep it on-topic, because this is one of those subjects that are going to have strong advocates and detractors that are never going to agree or find a middle ground, even if a divine entity stepped in to make a commandment on the matter.

So please, keep it on topic! And if you don't like guns, there are many other threads for you to read and post in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I edited my post evolving my experience with this:
20111213-b84y6xrjxcs6e2afxh93xka5xs.jpg

but there's no way I feel like writing it all over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i was amazed at how much a fully tricked out 1911 cost but I must say its got to be
one of the oldest most widely used handguns in the U.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
My wife and I both have our permits. I don't carry normally but keep a 1913 Colt 1911 45 cal. in my car. I also have a Colt Junior 25 cal and a S&W 38 special. My wife has a S&W 38 special.

We have these only for personal protection. Too many crazies out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I edited my post evolving my experience with this:
20111213-b84y6xrjxcs6e2afxh93xka5xs.jpg

but there's no way I feel like writing it all over again.

Very nice! I like both Rugers and 1911's, so I've been looking forward to this one. That said, I'm holding off until it comes in all blue, or all white. I'm not a big fan a mixed finishes usually. It would also be nice if Ruger did a G.I.-sped version of the SR1911 without all the extended doo-dads. Early reports seem to indicate that this SR1911 is a typical Ruger - a freaking tank that will eat anything and ask for more. I'll have to content myself with my lowly Chi-Comm Norinco 1911-A1 for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i was amazed at how much a fully tricked out 1911 cost but I must say its got to be
one of the oldest most widely used handguns in the U.S.

There are many 1911's out there in the market, not that there's only one manufacture of a "1911," but many that copied the mechanical characteristics of the Browning/Colt M1911. Some copies are horrible, some are really good. Then they range from general use, all the way to competition grade. You might know this, but the M1911 variants are still used by many U.S. service men. I loved the design/shape of it ever since I was a little boy and had a blue water pistol version of it:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are many 1911's out there in the market, not that there's only one manufacture of a "1911," but many that copied the mechanical characteristics of the Browning/Colt M1911. Some copies are horrible, some are really good. Then they range from general use, all the way to competition grade. You might know this, but the M1911 variants are still used by many U.S. service men. I loved the design/shape of it ever since I was a little boy and had a blue water pistol version of it:)

Well nothing has the stopping power of the 45 without leaving its intended target and a lot of my Police friends still carry a 1911 most choose the Para Ordinance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Well nothing has the stopping power of the 45 without leaving its intended target and a lot of my Police friends still carry a 1911 most choose the Para Ordinance.
edit: The PA is nice too....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I love 45ACP. That said... 45ACP is 10mm set on "stun". ;)

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting my concealed weapons permit...anyone else have theirs and if so what do you carry?

Thanks!

Hey, David, I didn't think to ask earlier, and if it was discussed I didn't see it, but where are you from (I don't think I saw that under your avatar)? One thing you might consider after you get your state permit is getting a Utah non-resident permit. The reciprocity with the Utah permit is pretty good if you travel much. There are a few places that it won't get you, but overall it can be quite helpful.

The Florida NR runs a close second, IIRC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
this is actually a freaky thread for me and it is probably based upon geography. In the UK guns are such a no no and talk of them is deeply un popular. In fact over the years i have seen a big big decrease in the number of toy guns that are now being sold in the UK. Although perversely, an increase in the number of 'killing' games now available on PS3 etc..and it always amazes me, that society still accepts it.

i am also always amazed that the gun lobbyist's don't realise that actually owning guns, increases the risk of someone, somewhere using them for a crime....

anyway, there are only 3 types of guns that i can think of without google...

Walter PPK - because James Bond has one
Magnum 45 - because Clint Eastwood has one
Kolashnikov - because the russian chap who invented it, died recently

interesting thread though...

Reaction score
this is actually a freaky thread for me and it is probably based upon geography. In the UK guns are such a no no and talk of them is deeply un popular. In fact over the years i have seen a big big decrease in the number of toy guns that are now being sold in the UK. Although perversely, an increase in the number of 'killing' games now available on PS3 etc..and it always amazes me, that society still accepts it.

i am also always amazed that the gun lobbyist's don't realise that actually owning guns, increases the risk of someone, somewhere using them for a crime....

anyway, there are only 3 types of guns that i can think of without google...

Walter PPK - because James Bond has one
Magnum 45 - because Clint Eastwood has one
Kolashnikov - because the russian chap who invented it, died recently

interesting thread though...

As the mod JUST said…plenty of other threads...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.