Black border (left & right) on new LG monitor

Reaction score
I just bought a new 27" LG E2742V Monitor and when I hooked it up to me MacPro with a ATI,RadeonX1900 it says that the best resolution is the 1920 x 1080. The monitor looks awesome and the colors are great, but there is a 1" black border left and right. I already tried all the horizontal settings on the monitor itself and I played around with other resolution settings within the monitor preferences and all that does is stretches it to fit but makes it look lower-res and less clear in the process. Is this the monitor, graphics card or computer. Will a different monitor brand be any better or will I run into the same problem? LG Techs brushed it off like it was my computer or card's issue and not the monitor. I also have a 22" Samsung as the secondary monitor and it works perfectly! Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The native resolution of that monitor is 1080P (1920 x 1080). If you're getting a black band on the left and right side and you have it setup for 1080P, then the fault may be with your graphics card that you're currently using. I tried to look up the specs for your card but all it told me is that it supports HDMI.

Perhaps someone else who is more familiar with that card and setup can tell you more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I already tried all the horizontal settings on the monitor itself...

Are you positive?;) If (via your Mac's System Preferences) you have chosen the correct resolution for this display (native resolution 1920 x 1080)...those black bands you see on each side of the display...to me sounds like a setting within the monitor itself.

As you've already done...you access these settings via the the buttons & onscreen menus of the display. There should be some sort of horizontal control...that allows you to "expand" what's outputted to the display from the computer...so that it fills the entire screen.

Double check those settings.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.