Good Mac "cleaner"?

Reaction score
It was my experience over on Windows - that most “clean-up” programs did more harm than good. My Mac is only three months old, but I would like to keep it clean as I can. So my question is to ask for suggestions for a proven, sound, cleaner for Mac.

I am running an app call simply App Cleaner currently. Just drag the unwanted app into the box and bingo - done. What is done? Now there’s the question.

AND, perhaps its 40 years of computer fatigue, but I don’t get Quicksilver. What exactly am I supposed to do with it?

Many Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I use AppZapper for applications and Onyx for everything else. As far as Quicksilver goes - you have to use it and read the manual. It does way too many things to even try to explain. You can use it as a simple launcher, but it does SO much more. It rocks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
snow leopard cache cleaner is pretty good!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Note that the devs of OnyX only provide a beta for Snow Leopard right now so I would advise avoiding it unless you feel adventurous (if you do, backup first).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Note that the devs of OnyX only provide a beta for Snow Leopard right now so I would advise avoiding it unless you feel adventurous (if you do, backup first).

Good point!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
To clean your Mac, wipe the outside with a damp (not wet) cloth, or shut it down and vacuum it with a soft brush.

Turn it off, then blow canned air into the vent openings.

Vacuum your desk and office regularly to keep dust levels down.

That's all the "cleaning" your Mac should need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Technologist... that was great. :)

As for Quicksilver... it definitely does way too many things to even begin to explain. There are a couple cool tutorials.

Things I've been using it for include launching apps, moving/copying files, creating system wide hot keys to either launch apps or websites, and a couple of other things. I haven't even scratched the surface and I love that app. I keep learning new things that I can do with it, and they make me smile. Especially on a laptop, as much as I can get done with a keyboard is welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Rbosely, when you drag an app into AppCleaner, it's removing the app itself plus any associated preferences files, which are used to store your settings for that app, from your Finder.

Quicksilver catalogues your files and folders so that when you invoke it with a shortcut key, a small floating window with two panes appears on your screen, ready for you to start typing the name of a file or folder you're looking for and it gives you instant results, similar to Spotlight. From there you can open it, send it to someone, move it and many other things from a drop down menu without ever having to open the Finder or any other app.

So let's say I'm looking for a particular mp3 to email to someone but I don't want to go digging through the Finder to get it. I invoke Quicksilver (my shortcut key is Command twice) and the floating window appears. I start typing the name of the mp3 and immediately possible matches are listed in a drop down menu in the left pane. When I see the one I want, I select it with the arrow buttons, then from the actions pane on the right, I type "email to", then a third pane opens where I type the name of the person I want to email it to. Their name shows up in my Address Book results and I hit enter. Mail is automatically opened, a new message is created with the mp3 attached to it, all addressed and ready to send. It takes seconds and I don't have to open a single app.

OP
R
Reaction score
Nothing like a user forum to get the best info. Obviously the WA's must get their's in - but since I myself am a WA - I love it. ACTUALLY. this little Mac will be going to Africa - the live in tents part - in November so keeping it clean could be tricky. Fortunately, I have the past experience of others to rely on. No - I won't be using the net for three weeks - but lots of data to collect.
Think I'll mess with Quicksilver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.