using bootcamp. hardware issue in PC version, NOT mac version

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 2009 unibody MBP. Running Mountain Lion and Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

Attached to this post is a picture of the screen my MBP has been making here and there lately (note: that's not my laptop, i just grabbed that off the net as it seems to be a common problem). The screen randomly goes purple and keyboard and mouse stop working. if i shake the screen the problem disappears.

most people agree the problem is the lvds cable. seems straightforward enough right? hardware issue. i even connected the laptop to an external monitor while it was bugging out and the problem was not present on the external monitor. so seems like it would be the lvds cable and/or the lcd. but here's the kicker: it never happens in mac mode.

seems to me that if it was a hardware issue it'd happen in mac mode too.

the only reason i can come up with that it might not happen in mac mode is because it seems like heat triggers the issue, and since i never do anything more cpu-intensive than surf the net in mac mode, it never has a chance to get that hot unless it's in pc mode.

thoughts?

images.jpeg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...it never happens in mac mode.

If this is the case...the first thing I'm thinking...maybe something is missing from the Windows install...such as some sort of drivers for the display/video.

Did you say that this does or doesn't happen on the external display while booting into Windows?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i plugged external display in while the problem was occurring and it was not reflected on the external display. and again, the problem disappears when i wiggle the monitor a bit. so it seems like an open and shut hardware thing. but then why wouldn't it happen in mac mode?

OP
M
Reaction score
aha. weeeeellll i spoke too soon. it just happened on the mac mode. a few times. and the mac was hot when it happened. so it's a heat issue.

do you think the entire lcd needs replacing? or will just replacing the lvds cable fix it? i heard replacing the lvds cable without also replacing the lcd is not recommended, but it sure is cheaper..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...the problem disappears when i wiggle the monitor a bit. so it seems like an open and shut hardware thing.

Yes…now that you discovered that it happens whether in Windows or Mac OS mode…definitely a hardware problem.

I would start by replacing the video cable (LVDS). Like you said…it's much cheaper.

I've never heard about replacing the display panel at the same time (I wonder what the logic is in that)?? The only reason I could think of why the display panel would need to be replaced at the same time as the video cable is…if the socket that the cable plugs into on the back of the display got damaged.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.