Will this work in my MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Looks right to me. I'm looking at replacing the 100gb/7200rpm drive in my MBP with a 250gb/5400rpm drive. I just wish my upgrade was as easy as yours is going to be (HDs are not considered user serviceable items on the Pro).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Your link goes to an entire page of Hard Drives... which HD are you considering?

FYI~ I just (last night) upgraded my MB to a WD 250gb Drive (CLICK!)... I got it from eBay for $149 Shipped and No tax, the HD was Brand new and Sealed.... It works PERFECT! If you need a link to the same thing I got on eBay... just let me know. It was by far the best deal I could find. I ordered it on Friday night, and it arrived to me on Monday Morning.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
I appreciate your help guys, I am looking forward to switching out this HDD. Also I was planning on using carbon copy cloner to make an image of my current OS X install on an external drive, my only question is how do I use that image on the new HDD once it is installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I appreciate your help guys, I am looking forward to switching out this HDD. Also I was planning on using carbon copy cloner to make an image of my current OS X install on an external drive, my only question is how do I use that image on the new HDD once it is installed?

I used SuperDuper....

You'll need an External HD Enclosure (SATA) for a 2.5" Drive...

Place your NEW drive in the the Enclosure...
Connect the Enclosure with your NEW HD to your MacBook using USB2 or Firewire...

Format the NEW HD using Disk Utility. Use the "MAC OS Extended (Journaled)" file system.

Open SuperDuper, CarbonCopyCloner, etc...
In the "Save To" or Back-up To" field, direct it to your External Enclosure.
Make a FULL/Complete "BOOTABLE" back-up of your Entire system (this took SuperDuper 55 min. through USB2)

Now... what I did to be sure...
Turn-off the MacBook..
Be sure External Enclosure with NEW HD (and "backed-up" copy of your exsisting HD) is connected to the MacBook.
Turn-On the MacBook while holding the OPTION key... You Should see TWO drives.. your existing Internal Drive, and the External Drive... Choose the External.... It should boot-up (might be a little slow).

If all went well... continue...

Shutdown the MacBook...
Apple recommends waiting 30 minutes for the system to cool...
Remove the MacBook Battery.
Completely unscrew the 3 "Captive" (they won't fall out loose) screws in the "L" shaped bracket that protect the RAM Slots and the HD Slot.
Remove the "L" shaped bracket.
Get the White HD "tab" unrolled... And Pull it out, thus removing the entire HD.

Now... You'll need a Torx #8 screw driver to remove the 4 torx screws from the HD "sled" that is attached to the stock/existing HD.

Remove your NEW HD form the External Enclosure... Put your old HD back in the External Enclosure... It's now a back-up or extra storage.

Attach the HD Sled to the NEW HD... Place the New HD in the MacBook's HD slot... press it in firmly to ensure a good connection.

Re-attach the "L" Bracket with the 3 screws..

Install the MacBook Battery...

Turn on.... Viola!!! Congrats to you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Your link goes to an entire page of Hard Drives... which HD are you considering?

But the page contains 2.5" SATA drives, so all of them should be okay. Frankly, I wouldn't choose anything other than the 250gb drive that you installed in your machine. Doesn't Murphy's second law state that data shall expand to fill all available hard drive space? :Smirk:

If all went well... continue...

Eject the External Enclosure...

Shutdown the MacBook...

...'cept you can't eject a drive that the system booted from; the option will be disabled for that volume. Just shut the Mac down and disconnect.

Otherwise, it's a good guide for anyone who's never done this before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Doesn't Murphy's second law state that data shall expand to fill all available hard drive space? :Smirk:

Exactly my thoughts.

...'cept you can't eject a drive that the system booted from; the option will be disabled for that volume. Just shut the Mac down and disconnect.

Otherwise, it's a good guide for anyone who's never done this before.

Not sure why I had that in there :Smirk:
Fixed... and thank you!

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
That 250gb drive in my sig is a typo because I had bought one and then returned it last minute because I needed the money elsewhere. lol, I just completely forgot about changing the sig back. Also I already have an external hdd, is there a way to clone my drive to it and then install the new one into my computer, then transfer it to the new drive using the OS X install disk's utilities?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.