Maya users (about Ram and Hard Disk)

Reaction score
Im planing to buy a mac mini but they say that your Ram and Hard Disk will be cut down to half if you will instal windows in it.. Is it true?
Im planning to instal Maya cuz its required for us media students..

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, DirgePortgaz.

Uhm why use Maya for Windoze when Maya exists for Mac? And a Mac Mini for 3D? I think you'd be better off looking at more powerful Macs than a Mini.

OP
D
Reaction score
actually im a windows user and im planning to switch to mac.. and they say that mac mini is great..

M

MacHeadCase

Well consider the fact that you have no dedicated video card but this:

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

Not terrific for 3D... Why not think of the iMac instead?

And buying a Mac to mostly run Windoze? Bad idea IMO.

Anyway, there is a Maya version for Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
consider that im a student and havnt used maya (but im gonna use it next term)and i dont have that much money..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Im planing to buy a mac mini but they say that your Ram and Hard Disk will be cut down to half if you will instal windows in it....actually im a windows user and im planning to switch to mac.. and they say that mac mini is great..
Well, honestly... if you buy a Mac and then install Windows on it you haven't really switched IMO.
And MacHeadCase is right. If you are going to be doing any 3D work, then a dedicated graphics card is a must. The shared graphics of the Mini will simply not cut it. Also the limited VRAM will hurt your 3D performance as well. You are going to want at least a 128MB dedicated graphics card for 3D work.
If you are serious about the Mac, then look into an iMac with dedicated graphics and get yourself a copy of Maya for Mac. You wouldn't need Windows at all that way.

Reaction score
The issue you will face with putting maya on OSX or OSX leapord is that not all of the components of Maya work properly on the mac. Autodesks website even has a list of things that the mac version of maya has trouble doing. And I know from personal experience that the mac version has trouble with textures. I love macs as much as the next guy but for running Maya windows is the way to go whether that be buying a mac and running parrallels or just buying a pc laptop because if you buy mac for maya you will run into a lot of problems. If you don't believe me do some research on forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.