XP on an intel Mac, explain please

Reaction score
Hi there, i understand it is now possible to dual boot XP and OS X on the new intel macs, i am interested because i play poker on PKR.com and they do not have a mac version of their software, if i dual booted XP on a mac, could i run this non mac software on windows XP on a macbook pro?

please let me know about this im a bit confused.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bootcamp enables you to choose whether to run OS X or Windows every time your Mac starts up. It splits the machine into two in effect.

You can download Bootcamp from the Apple site. Bear in mind you need your own copy of Windows on CD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Does this mean I could use software intended of a PC on my mac then, namely this poker software? ie: when i boot in XP can i use it like a pc?

Reaction score
Yes, you can use any Software that runs on Windows in your Macbook Pro, since you are running a full, uncompromised, feature-rich, awesome version of Windows XP.

OP
A
Reaction score
well thats good to know, do you know anyone that has done this? does it work ok?

what do i need to do then, buy a normal copy of XP, and install it? or do i need to download this thing first. Any help much appreciated

OP
A
Reaction score
also, would my mac then be able to get viruses that pcs can get? would a mac firewall protect the computer when in windows mode, i just need some assurances as to the practicality of this before i buy a macbook pro and start trying to dual boot

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
well thats good to know, do you know anyone that has done this? does it work ok?

what do i need to do then, buy a normal copy of XP, and install it? or do i need to download this thing first. Any help much appreciated

Understand that there are no huge differences between Macs and PCs from an underlying technology standpoint anymore. For all intents and purposes, Intel Macs ARE PCs with a different form of BIOS. When you install Windows on Bootcamp, you ARE running Windows on a PC. It's not some sort of emulation.

In addition, there are other solutions like Parallels Desktop that allow you to run Windows simultaneously with OS X.

What you need is to download Boot Camp from Apple and then purchase a Windows XP CD with Service Pack 2 integrated (or Windows Vista). You can buy a retail or OEM version, but make sure the OEM version is vendor-neutral (it can't be a Dell or HP branded copy).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
also, would my mac then be able to get viruses that pcs can get? would a mac firewall protect the computer when in windows mode, i just need some assurances as to the practicality of this before i buy a macbook pro and start trying to dual boot

When it's running Windows, your Mac would be as susceptible as any other machine running Windows. In effect, your computer is just like any other running Windows - so you do need anti-virus and possibly a security suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Bootcamp works great... I use it to play games.. just 1 (LOTRO). Depending on the Graphics requirements of PKR.com (which I assume are minimal) you may be able to run the game though an application called Parallels (which now supports Graphics upto DirectX 8.1).... Using Parallels would allow you to run XP (and Windows software such as your poker game) within a window will use OS X... eliminating the need to Re-Boot in order to use XP.

Anytime Windows is running on any computer Mac or otherwise, you are susceptible to getting a virus, which will only effect the Windows portion of your computer and will not affect the Mac portion.

OP
A
Reaction score
right ok, I see, so id have to install lets say just for an example a windows version of Norton on the Windows partioned bit. But that viruses wouldnt affect the mac partitioned bit, im basically just worried because ive had 3 pcs die of viruses which was why i want to buy a mc

Reaction score
To end posted answer delays, click on the Boot Camp and Parallels forum on this board and glance through the posts there, particulary this one.

If any question isn't answered, you probably would find it in a reply to another user or users by running a search or searches of the Boot Camp forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
99% of viruses are PC programs, so can only affect Windows. They can't hop across to the OS X partition of their own accord and even if someone emailed you a virus on OS X, it wouldn't do anything because it's a PC program.

So you'd need to install anti virus on Windows. You'd have to buy the DVD for Windows by the way.

It will be literally like you have two computers. If the Windows partition got swamped with viruses, the OS X half would still be intact.

Reaction score
It is really easy using bootcamp i have found that xp runs jst as well as on a pc........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.